Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is €380-400k ridiculous money for a 2-bed apartment in Dublin 18?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RedPandaDan

And a timely article from yesterday's Irish Times- entitled- I bought a 450k apartments in Sandyford, I never thought I wouldn't be able to sell it......
    Justin got a job in Maynooth and moved back in 2006. He bought an apartment in Maynooth. If I’d had a crystal ball I’d have said, ‘Why don’t you rent in Maynooth instead?’, but I couldn’t have that conversation with him, because we weren’t going out that long, and it might have scared him off.

Any time I read something like this, I always think back to that scene in The Savage Eye where a young mans parents react with disgust and lament their failure as parents when he confesses that he is renting...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dlb_cycles

that is ridiculous for a house not even.. ah

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

And a timely article from yesterday's Irish Times- entitled- I bought a 450k apartments in Sandyford, I never thought I wouldn't be able to sell it......

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/clara-malone-36-i-bought-a-two-bed-apartment-for-450-000-i-never-thought-i-wouldn-t-be-able-to-sell-it-1.2060530?page=1

Talk about unfortunate timing, they own two apartment bought in the mid 2000s. I'm surprised they're still afloat after two mortgages, two kids (with fertility treatments) and all on one salary.

I'm sure this is a regular occurance for a number of people of that generation. It goes to show the problem with the lending market at the time when a 26 year old in HR (maybe 30-odd grand a year?) can get a mortgage for 450k. Even with a 10% deposit, you're looking at around 12 times LTI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭NotCominBack

On a positive note she does have few years redundancy payment, and with a business degree & IS masters she shouldn't have too much trouble finding another job quickly if she wanted

I still don't understand why people like this just didn't drop off the keys to the bank and say, here ye go, Slan

I'm sure this is a regular occurance for a number of people of that generation. It goes to show the problem with the lending market at the time when a 26 year old in HR (maybe 30-odd grand a year?) can get a mortgage for 450k. Even with a 10% deposit, you're looking at around 12 times LTI.

I did similar on a smaller scale, bought a flat for less than half the Sandyford yokes (in Kildare) in 2005 as a 24 year old, was on €50K/annum and thought long and hard about it.

Lost me arse on it too, such is life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,364 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I still don't understand why people like this just didn't drop off the keys to the bank and say, here ye go, Slan

Because then instead of a huge loan and some collateral, you just wind up with a huge debt but no property. Handing back the keys doesn't absolve you of the mortgage in this country.

Sadly last post on boards by OP was four years ago, so we're unlikely to find out the end to this story - shame as I'd love to know what happened!

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    .......... shame as I'd love to know what happened!

To be fair is they did buy I couldn't imagine them coming back to this thread, posts along the lines of "Did the OP heed the advice they were given at the time- and wait? I wonder....... " wouldn't really encourage them to :)

For everyone with advice like that there was countless other folks advising to buy, people made up their own mind and by in large will pay for the consequences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

TWO apartments? Why don't they sell one, realize the negative equity and thus reduce the mortgage payments on at least one of the properties?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,364 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

TWO apartments? Why don't they sell one, realize the negative equity and thus reduce the mortgage payments on at least one of the properties?
    Sometimes the bank won't let you sell if you're too deep in NE.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

Augeo wrote: »
    For everyone with advice like that there was countless other folks advising to buy, people made up their own mind and by in large will pay for the consequences.

Haha if only. Thousands of people in multi year mortgage arrears sitting pretty in houses that are well beyond their means aren't paying any consequences as far as I can see...

And my favorite of all, the folks living abroad taking in thousands in rental income every month and not servicing their mortgage in the slightest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

....It goes to show the problem with the lending market at the time when a 26 year old in HR (maybe 30-odd grand a year?) can get a mortgage for 450k. Even with a 10% deposit, you're looking at around 12 times LTI.

+1

I think it still exists too. Salaries have not increased to match the cost of housing, even after the crash and recovery. You really need to allow for a fall in salary and if there two people one of them not working for some of the time. Even then you might run into a situation where luck and circumstance go against you.

In which case the problem of not being able to hand the keys back is the real issue. It leaves the problem/responsibility with reckless lending with the borrower not the lender.

Eldarion wrote: »
    Haha if only. Thousands of people...............
    And my favorite of all, the folks living abroad..............

No doubt but the majority are paying their way imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/clara-malone-36-i-bought-a-two-bed-apartment-for-450-000-i-never-thought-i-wouldn-t-be-able-to-sell-it-1.2060530?page=1

Quite a sad story really and a warning about the destructive power of groupthink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Doesn't mention if they are on interest only either.
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Sometimes the bank won't let you sell if you're too deep in NE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Anyone else find that it read like an 8 year olds "My summer holiday" story? (Obviously with more of a depressive feeling though)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

accensi0n wrote: »
    Anyone else find that it read like an 8 year olds "My summer holiday" story? (Obviously with more of a depressive feeling though)

It's probably the kind of thing that they want you to feel the 'everyman' quality of it, rather than a columnist's spin and verbosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

Makes me laugh a little because of all the smug people in 2006/7 gloating about being on the 'ladder' haha where are they now

Well they would have been paying NPR tax or whatever it was on one of them anyway before that was abolished.

lima wrote: »
    Makes me laugh a little because of all the smug people in 2006/7 gloating about being on the 'ladder' haha where are they now

For every person that was as you describe there's two more who couldn't afford to get on the "ladder" back than and years on claim it was due to shrewdness, most of them couldn't afford to get on the ladder since either :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

There was an excellent article linked by Gaius C in the 2015 thread. Before everyone gloats/sheds a tear it's probably worth bearing in mind the OP probably has a more affordable mortgage than all the 'sensible people' and if he's carried on renting he'd had sunk c.100K into rent waiting for the bubble to pop.

While I'm all for ensuring we don't return to the bubble lets not lose the run of ourselves completely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Ctrl Alt Delete

Rent is dead money you are correct. You want money that is alive so you need to buy one of these apts.
    2k rent a month, sorry 2k loan repayments a month, 3k management fees a year and then after 5 years you should be saving -70K over your sad renting friends.

People like this I have no sympathy for

Augeo wrote: »
    For every person that was as you describe there's two more who couldn't afford to get on the "ladder" back than and years on claim it was due to shrewdness, most of them couldn't afford to get on the ladder since either :)

True but there's also the people who like to blame the banks for giving them the loans they asked for :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

no apartment in Ireland is ever worth anything over 250k in my book , and even thats pushing it.

Dublin city center, 2 bed 250k
    Dublin inside m50 but outside city - 200k
    Dublin outside m50 but on luas or dart - 175k
    Apartments in kildare/wicklow/meath/louth - 100k max.

For over 250k id be expecting a 3 bed semi and for 400k a 4 bed detached.

Might just be me but i would consider those sensible pricing guidelines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭karenalot

lima wrote: »

It's not all doom and gloom for people who bought in 2006. I am one of them and because I am on a tracker I am actually financially better off than someone entering the market today.

I pay €800 a month mortgage. To rent my house or get a mortgage on the same place at todays interest rates would cost me €1200 a month. Granted interest rates will eventually head up but for now I am in better position. I think people who bought apartments have seen it much tougher of course.

no apartment in Ireland is ever worth anything over 250k in my book , and even thats pushing it.

Dublin city center, 2 bed 250k
    Dublin inside m50 but outside city - 200k
    Dublin outside m50 but on luas or dart - 175k
    Apartments in kildare/wicklow/meath/louth - 100k max.

For over 250k id be expecting a 3 bed semi and for 400k a 4 bed detached.

Might just be me but i would consider those sensible pricing guidelines

It's supply and demand though. If there is an apartment complex next to a high paying employer (like the OP) then paying 300K for a two bed isn't complete madness (risky though - what if the employers close/move). City centre is a better bet and 400K for D1 2 beds again isn't madness given the safety of rental demand there. Borrowing 400K at a potential 8% id of course madness but one has to compete with cash investors in that location.

My point is it's not as simple as putting a 250K ceiling on it. That said what is very sensible is putting a ceiling on your own affordability and working from there.

karenalot wrote: »
    It's not all doom and gloom for people who bought in 2006. I am one of them and because I am on a tracker I am actually financially better off than someone entering the market today.

I pay €800 a month mortgage. To rent my house or get a mortgage on the same place at todays interest rates would cost me €1200 a month. Granted interest rates will eventually head up but for now I am in better position. I think people who bought apartments have seen it much tougher of course.

I'm in a similar situation bought a city centre (ish) one bed for mental, mental money - still in neg equity. That said I'm €550 per month repayments in an apartment that would rent out at c.1100 per month. Even taking into account the management fee I'm €450 per month better off. The clincher for me is the hassle of dealing with landlords and moving.

Fingers crossed that I don't jinx it by saying this but I'm about to close on a 3 bed semi, lower mortgage but much higher repayments. Apartment will be rented out and all in all should just about look after it self in relation to cost. Even assuming rents don't keep pace with interest rises if I have to sink a few quid into it I can balance this against my pension payments.

Not an ideal situation but I don't consider myself screwed either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Ctrl Alt Delete

It's supply and demand though. If there is an apartment complex next to a high paying employer (like the OP) then paying 300K for a two bed isn't complete madness (risky though - what if the employers close/move). City centre is a better bet and 400K for D1 2 beds again isn't madness given the safety of rental demand there. Borrowing 400K at a potential 8% id of course madness but one has to compete with cash investors in that location.

My point is it's not as simple as putting a 250K ceiling on it. That said what is very sensible is putting a ceiling on your own affordability and working from there.

Sorry I have to ask.

Can you clarify are you talking about prices in 2014 or in 2008 when this thread was first started and the question asked?

karenalot wrote: »

Yeah the tracker situation is a life saver for a lot of people, the situation would be a lot different if they had never existed (probably would have pushed people over the edge into revolt)

In this example though, someone entering the market now could be better off buying that apt now as they would be buying it for say e250k with say e110k savings so would be around e600 for the mortgage, plus it is more likely that the property price would rise from e250k upwards compared to if it was worth e450k so would 'earn' a bit from capital gain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

Advertisement