Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you are a donor...

• 29-01-2008 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

Thinking of this from the card carrying thread. If your loved one dies and they didn't carry a card, would you offer their organs up for donation?

Edit: dammit, Donor not Doner!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Not being a kebab, I wouldn't know. I am however a donor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Being honest I'd say it would be very hard for me to do but in the end I would do it. That said I would give them up just to be chopped up etc, they'd have to be going to someone as opposed to research.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I'd like to see my organs go to Iskanders over Zaytoon, personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

definitely. circle of life and all that. would be hard i reckon, but if any good could come from their death... well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

My mother doesnt care what we do with her body when she dead - and had said so. I have messed with her - saying id make her ashes into egg timer - but she only seen funny side.
    Id offer anything of myself + family thats useful - in a way your loved one will live on through doner. Kinda nice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I'd like to see my organs go to Iskanders over Zaytoon, personally.

monkey kebab!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

I would kill for a kebab now. Thanks guys

Realistically though, if you have ever had a loved one just die, and you are still in shock, then if some stranger comes up to you and asks, how would you feel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I probably wouldn't suggest it if say my brother died, for fear of compounding my parents' pain. But I like to think that if my hypothetical child were to die, I would allow their organs be used. It is of course possible that I would be blinded by grief, but I can't really know unless I'm in that situation. It could be a useful manner of handling grief I guess... Your child died for a purpose... Another child will now live longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I would give away their organs yes.
    Some part of them would still live on, helping someone else live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭DinoBot

Well, my thinking is always:

If your loved one was in need of an organ would you take one ?

If you would, well then you should also be willing to give.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Windsock, I honestly thought this was going to be about kebabs. I'm very disappointed now!

I would imagine, knowing me that if a loved one dies (which I've been fortunate not to experience yet, apart from grandparents) I would go in to organising mode, just to cope. This would include giving away their organs quite calmly. My bf has stipulated if anything happens to him here, not to agree (can you be next of kin if you're not married btw?) to donate as he'd hate to see his body go back to NZ not intact, for his parents sake. If something happens in NZ then he's happy enough to donate. It's strange but i kind of understand and it's good to have it talked over first, in case anything happens.

oh lol... you've just opened a whole tin of worms there.

narco wrote: »
    oh lol... you've just opened a whole tin of worms there.

which part?! was it the kebab part?! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

watna wrote: »
    bf has stipulated if anything happens to him here, not to agree (can you be next of kin if you're not married btw?) to donate as he'd hate to see his body go back to NZ not intact, for his parents sake..
    That's a weird one if you don't mind me saying. I mean his parents are hardly going to be turning him over to see if his kidneys are still there.

I used to have a donor card on my banklink card but wasn't given the option of getting it on my subsequent ones so don't carry one. The only one I drew a line at was my eyes but I later found out that it's not the whole eyeball they take just a film on top, so yeah I'm giving away everything. The person who gets my liver will be very disappointed though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

If something happens in NZ then he's happy enough to donate. It's strange but i kind of understand and it's good to have it talked over first, in case anything happens.

He doesn't want his organs sloshing about in some sick Irish guys body... makes sense.

He doesn't want his organs sloshing about in some sick Irish guys body... makes sense.

Precisely!

I dunno why he thinks that. I'm agreeing that it's strange. Especially as he's a hindu and they get creamted and stuff. Meh, it's his organs, not mine! (well not yet anyway, mwah hah hah!!)

which part?! was it the kebab part?! :)

haha, not gonna go there now... might tell ya when i see ya in a few months ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 gavrilo princip

Windsock, you can edit your thread title by double clicking beside the text on the main page.

OT, I donated my father's organs after he died. He didn't really need them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Can you actually donate other people's **** if they haven't chosen to be a donor? That doesn't seem right.

• Advertisement

Kold wrote: »
    Can you actually donate other people's **** if they haven't chosen to be a donor? That doesn't seem right.
    As next of kin, I was able to donate my father's organs.

You can't really tell a doctor to take your organs if you are dead.

I really don't see the big deal in donating your organs. You'll be dead. You're not going to know that they are being used.

It should be mandatory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I am not a piece of meat.

It should be mandatory.

It should my balls. I'm not going to argue why someone would or would not donate their organs but it's pretty easy to pick up a donor card. Some people choose not to. Again, I'm not saying your father wouldn't have been all for it but it's a choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

WindSock wrote: »
    Thinking of this from the card carrying thread. If your loved one dies and they didn't carry a card, would you offer their organs up for donation?

Edit: dammit, Donor not Doner!!

Yes.

That's fair enough. We're all entitled to our own opinions.

Isn't it mandatory in some countries though?
    I seem to remember reading somewhere that it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

There is a fledgling campaign for it to be opt out rather than opt in. I would support that but as kold eloquently put it others will disagree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Here here, that's what I'd support.

Unless I had been told otherwise, I would agree to donate their organs. My husband has clearly stipulated he doesn't want to, I'd respect that, but if it was my kiddy, and hubby agreed, I'd go with it. He knows I want to donate, too. I do have a donor card and ticked the box on my drivers license, but I don't carry it everywhere. Hence my agreement with the opt out strategy.. I think most people are ok with donating, but too lazy to pick up a card.

I kind of want a kebab now. Is that wrong at 1.40pm?

Maybe people should carry an Organ NON donation card instead. That way doctors can help themselves to everybody that doesn't have one.

• Advertisement

I kind of want a kebab now. Is that wrong at 1.40pm?

No, I've wanted one since this morning :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Maybe people should carry an Organ NON donation card instead. That way doctors can help themselves to everybody that doesn't have one.
    An opt out scheme based on your RSI number.

There aren't enough donors not even close so relying on people to carry donor cards is a waste of time. Give people the opportunity to opt out instead, much easier and cheaper to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Windsock, you can edit your thread title by double clicking beside the text on the main page.

OT, I donated my father's organs after he died. He didn't really need them.
    Or you could ask that most awesome of mods to sort it for you.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Terry wrote: »
    Or you could ask that most awesome of mods to sort it for you.

But I don't mod after hours. :confused:

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

But I don't mod after hours. :confused:

:D
    That's two.

It's worse for you that I have access again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

but you'd find very few doctors willing to do that as it leaves them wide open to a law suit. If the person whose organs were taken had forgot their non donnation card or it was lost somehow on the way to the hospital and the organs were taken, that persons family could very well have a fit and it would be the doctor that would be attacked. Some people won't donate organs for religious reasons and while I don't agree I respect their beliefs.

Also very high percentage of organs that come into a hospital can't be used - depending on how you die, what you die of, your lifestyle etc etc just cus you want to donate your organs doesn't mean you can.

The majority of major organs the next of kin can donate without issue but there are some that can't be donated unless the deceased person has written it down somewhere official. I'm going to have to go check the details, I had it all explained to me by my doctor when I asked about donating my body to a teaching hospital after I die. You have to fill a tone of forums out for that and your next of kin cannot donate on your behalf no matter how much you wanted it, no forums no donation.

• Advertisement

Terry wrote: »
    That's two.

It's worse for you that I have access again.

Eh? When did that happen? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Yes I would. My family all agree that organs are of no use when we die.

Aww, the thread title was changed. Bring back the kebabs, I say! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

jdivision wrote: »
    There is a fledgling campaign for it to be opt out rather than opt in. I would support that but as kold eloquently put it others will disagree.
    Do you have any details about the campaign?
    I know that the Young Progressive Democrats called for it at the last conference, but I didn't realise there was an actual campaign.
    I'd be interested in any information you would have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Thanks be to God someone sorted out the spelling in the title.... driving me frikken mad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Used to carry a card until a crooked friend said "Wouldja not be afraid someone'd slip a fiver to a doctor to push you over the edge?" and that freaked me out so much... anyway, no one would want my bits any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭homer911

Having seen a friend with a life-threatening condition benefit from a transplant, I would have to say YES. This has got to be a really tough decision for someone to make at a very stressful moment in their lives - do them a favour and carry a donor card and make your wishes known - hopefully it will never be used.... (I'm a blood donor, and am on the bone marrow register, now I'll have to pick up an organ donor card myself - lazyness is a terrible excuse!)

homer911 wrote: »
    Having seen a friend with a life-threatening condition benefit from a transplant, I would have to say YES. This has got to be a really tough decision for someone to make at a very stressful moment in their lives - do them a favour and carry a donor card and make your wishes known - hopefully it will never be used.... (I'm a blood donor, and am on the bone marrow register, now I'll have to pick up an organ donor card myself - lazyness is a terrible excuse!)

Until you pick up a card, at least tell your loved ones your wishes.

I'm getting a scrapbook soon, and calling it Death Plan. then I will ask my loved ones their death wishes. Just makes it easier, you know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭HammerHeadGym

Absolutely, what on earth does a corpse need them for?

Furthermore, I have a great idea for the whole donor thing. Everyone in the country gets a card free of charge. On it they list the things they will and wont donate, including blood. And basically, if you refuse to give your heart (or whatever) up after you snuff, then you are exempt from receiving donations while alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Extraplus

Yes, much in the same way as your next of kin can refuse to donate your organs even if that is what you may have wanted (and carried a card).

It is up to your legal next of kin to make the decision either way, irrespective of your wishes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Absolutely, what on earth does a corpse need them for?

Furthermore, I have a great idea for the whole donor thing. Everyone in the country gets a card free of charge. On it they list the things they will and wont donate, including blood. And basically, if you refuse to give your heart (or whatever) up after you snuff, then you are exempt from receiving donations while alive.
    No No No
    You don't need cards if everyone is presumed to be a donor - saves a lot of admin and handling overheads. You have to take a concious decision to opt out, forms on the interweb and in local libraries and the usual places

Just base it off the RSI number that you need for medical services anyway.
    It's unlikely that they couldn't match the RSI number off a corpse and yet be able to find a donor card anyway. So fail safe.

Also if every one is a donor the argument about pulling the plug to harvest organs just disappears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

I know 2 people waiting for transplants (one waiting for lungs due to ephysema and the other heart and lung due to CF). Both will die long before their time without. And still, plenty of people I know refuse to be donors because they don't like the idea of somebody else having their organs. I just don't get it...theyre no good to you when you're dead! Im a blood donor (asked to be on bone marrow register but they forgot to take a HLA sample before my last donation) and would gladly give all my organs.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

Since animals donate most of their organs (kidneys,livers,eyeballs and ass holes) for doner (kebab) production. I feel duty bound to do the same. I just hope they get as much pleasure from mine as I have had from theirs.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

ballooba wrote:
    I am not a piece of meat.
    Good For You!!! Although vultures would disagree.
    anyway I definetly think all suitable organs should be donated unless someone specifically requests otherwise. I carry a card and I'd have no problem with my organs being used.
    Plus,on a purely selfish basis, if my organs are gone there'll be no chance of me being buried alive!!

how long can organs last ?
    I've heard of 70 year eyes being donated (one each of course) to people in their 20's with the expectation that they would get a good innings out of them.

Also I feel that all receipiants should be made to carry donor cards until the opt-out is in place

• Advertisement
Advertisement