Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Athlone Test Centres

Options
  • 29-01-2008 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭

I have my 2nd test coming up soon. I did my first in the McCormack Centre in Athlone and failed. Next one is in the NCT centre (Kilmartins).

Ive been told that these guys are way easier going than the robotic guys you get in the other place. Can anyone comment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I have my 2nd test coming up soon. I did my first in the McCormack Centre in Athlone and failed. Next one is in the NCT centre (Kilmartins).

Ive been told that these guys are way easier going than the robotic guys you get in the other place. Can anyone comment?

Cant comment on the guys from the NCT centre but I had mine from the
    centre at McCormack Mall and found the tester, Sean something, dead sound.
    He put me at ease from the moment he called me in for the theory questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Thanks for comments. Anyone else wanna give 2 cents on this? Did anyone use the SGS guys? Are they the same lads who NCT a car? I assume not but just being sure

Argh! Why does nobody from Ath post here!!

Sorry Mods, just frustration. Would be good to get feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭rojerdandry

I've my test coming up there too and would like to hear any reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Is It For A Theory Test Or A Check On Your Car?

• Advertisement

Driving test. The subcontract testers SGS ltd. operate from NCT centers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Ah ok .

No its a while since i sat my test.

There was a particular ass that tested me the first time in the McCormack centre, failed ppl all the time. I sat it again with a different tester and passed..

So im afraid i cant help you with a comment on the "newer" test centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

failed first time with the nice guy and passed second time with the ass! didn't even know there was a second test centre, but its 2 years since i done my test. relax just prepare well, give whoever testing you no choice but to pass you!!

Got the test!!

Fekced up the technical checks - drew a blank on most road signs. He asked about how youd fill up your brake fluid and i was like...duh. Also asked hand signals for turning left, slowing down and telling someone your going straight on.

Once on the road i was grand - we went from Kilmartins up the bypass (at 50KM/HR very frustrating), took a left at the Ballymahon Rd exit and onto the Regional SC Roundabout turning right there.

Did a hill start between the speed bumps on the Arcadia Road just shy of the roundabout. Went straight on past Bnq and then left into the council estate (clonbrusk anyone?) Did the 3 point turn (in 7 turns but still faultless!) and headed back towards town via Coosan Tavern direction. Took a left just shy of the fire station and straight on past first junction. Thats where i did the reverse round corner. Again faultless. :D

Finally i went back towards the stop sign that is on the end of that road, took left towards town and up Northgate St. A left at the lights and straight on all the way back to NCT centre.

All in all i got knocked for technical checks, moving off and 3 marks against my observation (4 would have killed me!) A borderline pass but im happy out. :D

FYI they much more informal at SGS than the robots you get in McCormack Centre

Fair play to ya :)

#Actually did they have a palm pilot or sheet of paper?

• Advertisement

Palm pilot. Given that SGS are private company, and the overall backward nature of our public services, id say the PPs are just used by SGS.

I may be wrong and/or generalising. Just when i did test at McCormack Centre they used a pen so you know for sure when you got marked down and thus would panic accordingly. With the PPs, he clicked it numerous times, so it wasnt just to fault me (otherwise id have failed with all the clicks!!)

Advertisement