Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBB - ASTRA2Connect in Ireland Satellite Broadband

Options
  • 29-01-2008 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

I have just been made aware of this company.

Two way satellite with 512kb downoad (business package) and 96k upload anywhere in Ireland seems reasonably priced when you have NO alternative ie no vodafone, no o2, 3 is a joke, no landline service, other satellite services very expensive to buy hardware. NBB charge a reasonable €15 a month hardware rental fee with low enough install costs of €125

I'm only interested in the broadband service not the tv or voip. Not sure if they sell just the broadband as i already have sky plus and a good phone service. (Edited - just spoken to them and it's the whole package or nothing at the moment so another momentary high of getting braodband at reasonable cost down the toilet!)

Has anyone subscribed, installed and used it yet?

Can you use your own authenticated smtp email (unlike 3) ?

Does it do what it says on the tin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The coverage during rain is controversial in south West.

They are a newcomer. There are other well established 2 way sat providers with x10 more users and satellite signals more suited for Irish location and weather.

The TV is basically what you can get for free.
    The phone service has nearly 1s latency. So saying "over" helps. While VOIP does work on ANY two way satellite service, the other operators don't promote it as 115% of people have mobile phones which work much better for voice.

Forum rules forbid me mentioning specific suppliers

---- vvvvvv ----

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭richardn

Hi Watty

I have often looked at two way sat broadband providers but usually it involves buying equipment up front around €1000 and upwards and the monthly tarrifs are €99 a month for 1 MB.

That to me is way out of budget for most home users.

Now if you know of a company offering 2 way satellite broadband in the Cork area for around €50 a month with no upfront hardware to buy please can you send me an email with their details to ctbrichardatgmail.com thanks.

I don't think this system will work very well in Cork area when it rains.
    The beams are really for a French/German service and signal is poorer as you go SW of a line between Sligo/Waterford.

Offically the HW is supposed to be €250 upfront for A2C.

In Cork, then if you can't get fixed Wireless, Cable, Metro or DSL then the choice is either 99 a month 2 way satellite or EDGE/3G/HSDPA from O2. If the A2C was reliable nationwide, then NBS would not be the only people selling it.

I actually have it (A2C) just outside Limerick City as well as EDGE/HSDPA, Metro and the "professional" €99 2 way satsystem, so I can compare the 4 systems at different times of day and weather. You'll notice the Digiweb sat offering is under "Business" not Home on their website.

The fact is that real satellite bandwidth is expensive. The basic A2C is quite slow, especially on upload.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭richardn

Thanks Watty

I live 6km outside of Macroom - near a village called Clondrohid. Speed is not the important thing to me although it would be nice! I need a permanent connection so use Vodafone but I only get GPRS same as O2.

There was mention by Vodafone that their mast was moving nearer to my location but it hasn't happened yet.

I'll stay with Vodafone until such time either 3 works or O2 covers my area.

I've been looking at 2 way sat options for nearly 3 years and it just isn't viable for the costs involved.

Anyways back to my 56kbs and thaks for your advice, it confirms my own thought's on sat broadband.

O2 may have EDGE shortly in your area (up to 240K rather than the 50K ish of GPRS). Often times the up to 3.6Mbps HSDPA is only around 250K or less anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement