Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good vs Evil

• 29-01-2008 1:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what everyone's opinions on the whole idea in Pro-Wrestling of having good guys and bad guys... (faces and heels I think they call them ... anyone any idea why?)

First of all I am a bit of an old-school wrestling fan (e.g. it was WWF when I watched it) and haven't watched it in a while so maybe things have changed.

I can see why they'd have it... otherwise people would get bored during matches where one of their favourites wasn't fighting, with no one to cheer for... But I've never liked it.

There were lots of predictabilities, like when the bad guy won, it was usually either due to some fluke happening, or from cheating... the bad guys always tended to be slow and boring fighters, even the agile ones like Sean Michaels whereas the good guys were more likely to be fast and exciting... You very rarely had bad vs bad, and slightly more commonly (but still rare enough) good vs good - and if they did they'd usually hug at the end or something stupid like that... In early royal rumbles there would be alliances of the good vs the bad despite the commentators repeatedly trying to tell us how it was "Every man for himself"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

I like having the good guys and the bad guys.

Although I don't know about the good guys being fast and exciting, even back in the day you chould hardly say Hogan was fast, or a great technical wrestler.
    But obviously heels had to use heel tactics to win, and faces would win by generally playing fair.

I think Kurt Angle's run in TNA has shown that it's not a good idea to try and skirt the heel / face line too much with top superstars. It confuses crowds a bit.

Heel alliances and face alliances have changed a good bit since the old days. Like you said, back then you would see the two faces joining together to battle evil. These days however, it's a lot less likely, and only really happens when they are forced together.

Heels seem to ally themselves to each other much easier, as can be seen with Rated RKO, and Miz and Morrison. Bad guys seem far more comfortable working together in order to beat the face.

Advertisement