Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Websites that store Credit Card details

Options
  • 29-01-2008 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

I do a lot of shpping on line and like many people i'm concerned about security of my credit card details. Some site you just enter your details on payment but there are others that store the details as part of your profile. Whether i'm mistaken or not i think that the once off entry is more secure in the long term

Is there any way to make sites that store your cc details remove them?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'd have to agree, one off entrys are alot more secure.

I setup a wiggle.co.uk account about two years back and at that time they didn't ship to Ireland, I then asked them to delete my account along with my payment details and they flat out said I had no account and as such they couldn't complete my request.

To this day (infact right now) I can login to this non-existent account :)

muppets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

More secure, but more inconvenient. Shops are looking for repeat shoppers and, better again, impulse shoppers. Convenience is a big thing to them because someone buying something on an impulse is likely to decide not to if they have to go rooting for the credit card rather than press the 1-Click Buy Now button.
    Is there any way to make sites that store your cc details remove them?
    Any of those sites should allow you to edit your card details, primarily so that you can update them when the card expires. Just go to your profile and enter random rubbish in place of your card number.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Any of those sites should allow you to edit your card details, primarily so that you can update them when the card expires. Just go to your profile and enter random rubbish in place of your card number.

Rmember that there are 16 numbers ion a credit card number when your entering random numbers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

you'd think so but i just bought a game off shopto.com and when i went in to change my cc details to random rubbish it wouldnt let me as they do a trial £1 withdrawl request first. So when that failed they reverted to my detail i'd entered earlier. No option to delete card details either.

Think i'm going to have to get a 3v or wirecard to get around this kind of **** in future.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

There are laws in the EU that govern the storing of personal data.

Its also worth pointing out that its not permitted for your credit card number and CCV number to be stored in the same place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

I thought that it's also the law (in Ireland at least) for companies not to store credit card details longer than 24 hours after the necessary transaction in cases where there's no reason to do so??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

faceman wrote: »
    Its also worth pointing out that its not permitted for your credit card number and CCV number to be stored in the same place.
    Checked this and if you go to edit the cc details the ccv number isnt displayed but if you go to confirm another order its populated.
    It doesnt display the last 8 digits of the cc but they must be stored and not displayed as you dont need to enter them again to complerte an order.
    Dodgy, very suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

Slice wrote: »
    I thought that it's also the law (in Ireland at least) for companies not to store credit card details longer than 24 hours after the necessary transaction in cases where there's no reason to do so??

Not the case, companies can hold the info.

Although as far as I remember Visa can ask for a security audit of anyone holding credit card details. Might be worth asking visa about how it all works.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Scruff wrote: »
    Checked this and if you go to edit the cc details the ccv number isnt displayed but if you go to confirm another order its populated.
    It doesnt display the last 8 digits of the cc but they must be stored and not displayed as you dont need to enter them again to complerte an order.
    Dodgy, very suspect.
    They shouldnt be storing your CCV/CSC code, its against PCI (Payment Card Industry) Compliance.
    With your name, number & CSC/CCV number all stored by them anyone with access can "empty" your (and everyone else's) credit card online.
    Report them or at least find out how/where they are storing this information.

Advertisement