Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cadetship question

• 29-01-2008 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

do direct entry jobs like engineer or docter put you straight in working as your profession or does the df send you off to do a cadetship first??

and if you have a qualification as engineer or a doctor can you apply the cadetship route or do you have to apply to the direct entry route??

could anybody clarify this cause the website isnt absolutly clear.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭burnedfaceman

you could apply for direct entry where applicant would do a short saluting and shooting course before taking up a commission as a doctor or you could apply for a regular cadetship as an engineer or doctor and do full 15 months training as an infantry officer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 seansi567

so if you apply then for a cadetship with an engineering or doctor qualification does the direct entry eyesight standard of 6/36 in both corrected to 6/9 apply or does the cadetship standard of 6/18 corrected to 6/9 apply to you...?

jus living in hope here cause im a medical student in first year and i intend applying a few years down the road, but my eyesight is -1.5 diopters (shortsighted) in each eye,and i have always wanted to apply since i was like 14 ,for a cadetship but i feel my eyesight might hold me back.

Are they really strict about the eyesight standard or is there any give and take??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭burnedfaceman

the cadetship competition and the direct entry route are seperate entities, so eyesight standard for cadetship route is the same irrespective of what degree you hold, the eyesight requirements are fairly strict from what i gathered. they will test your eyesight at final interiew and wont make exceptions if you dont meet the requirements

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Dioptics this and the other irrelevant.

If you apply for entry via Cadet you will be assessed as per your peers, if you make the grade, then you're in. You will undergo the full Cadet progamme

If you've already got your registration, then you may qualify for a salute etc Commision

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 seansi567

ah well thats me out of it,thanks for the info least i know where i stand!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

seansi567 wrote: »

Apply anyway. Its better to try and Fail that to never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭holdfast

If you have a heart beat and your are a doctor they will take you. you will get a one year commision its enough get to go overseas and see the army at home. best of luck in the studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭bada-bing

seansi567 wrote: »

dont give up hoe.. just go for it and you never know! plenty of people in the army wear glasses:eek:..

but in not sure what they would make of a doctor wanting to do a cadetship... they would probably think you were mad! unless you didnt intend on using your degree at all.. well maybe you could make the point that you would like to serve as a regular officer for a few years before becoming a doctor.. but then direct entry medical graduates are commissioned as capts and you would only be commissioned as a lt (only!!)... i would imagine.. hmmm, unusual situation:rolleyes:

id say you should just go direct entry.. you ll be able to get as involved in military stuff as you like as soon as you make a few friends!! ie shooting practice or parashoot jumps or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭jim2008

holdfast wrote: »
    If you have a heart beat and your are a doctor they will take you. you will get a one year commision its enough get to go overseas and see the army at home. best of luck in the studies.

Agree! the army cannot hold on to doctors most off them get pissed off and only do a few years and get out asap. It may sound good but most off your work will be paper work and seeing patients looking sick leave with nothing wrong with them. I can see how doctors would easily lose their medical skills in the defence forces. They even had a doctor overseas who had has hie medical licence taken from him, they only found out later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭bobboberson

does anybody know bout joing the pdf as a nurse r does anybody know if they still have them i cant find info on the anywhere and if u do know about the do u know what they do is it just hospatil work or can they go overseas

• Advertisement
Advertisement