Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the Government ban fox-hunting?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Rossibaby wrote: »
    now your saying foxes have less of a right to life because humans dont use them or rear them.i dont really need to defeat this arguement it speaks for itself.all animals that are not used by humans in the primary sector are fair game lol

Fox numbers have shot up recently, while game bird numbers are down this year, and the two are connected. Why should a farmer suffer vermin to decimate his sheep and chickens? Yes, foxes are a problem, and their numbers are a problem both for the environment and for the agricultural sector, so it's not about their "right to life", it's about farmers making a living and hunters promoting a better environment with a more balanced ecology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Rossibaby

*static* Houston, we have a wild generalisation. *static*

the family who runs the hunting club in our area own a horse riding centre/farm,live in a castle,own a rolls royce/2 mercs/2 landrovers....its a class thing i guess lol

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Morlar wrote: »
    I dont think the government should ban it either - the only people who should be allowed to vote on this are people who live in the countryside not in apartment blocks.

Democracy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

now your saying foxes have less of a right to life because humans dont use them or rear them.i dont really need to defeat this arguement it speaks for itself.all animals that are not used by humans in the primary sector are fair game lol

Animals(non human) are fair game. It the circle of life (cue the lion king music)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

DonJose wrote: »
    Mods please don't move this to the hunting forum, its like moving a "Should the Government ban smoking?" thread to the smoking forum.
    +1
    It's against the hunting charter, the two threads started in there on this poll have already become flamewars between ICABS and hunters, with ordinary posters happily wading into the middle of it armed with no knowlege of either side, and frankly, the poll itself is worthless as it's got absolutely no anti-spoofing on it (vote early, vote often!).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

SDooM wrote: »
    Democracy?

is for wussies and left handed girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭briantwin

Ban it. Whats the difference between this and badger baiting. Apart from a fox is even less able to defend itself from dogs then a badger is. The difference is that common people used to badger bait and it was seen as cruel and inhumane. If only they had horses and lovely red jackets it'd still be legal to this day.
    Just another example of there being double standards with the law makers of this little land. If it was fu*kin Whacker,Anto and Stabbo out baiting the **** out of Foxes on their mopeds the law would call it cruel. Sadly its because at the end of every hunt the civil side of things returns after the slaughter of the fox and the drinking of its blood by people with triple barrel surnames, everyone sits around and enjoys a nice cucumber sandwich and a nice chat about BT2 and the cost of upkeep on a villa in Marbella.

Now before you all scream "Begrudger". I dont begrudge these people their material effects or even their pompous lifestyles i do however begrudge their free reign to hunt animals in a barbaric way for sport, which if it was being perpetrated by people of a lower class would have been outlawed a long long time ago.

so hunters do it for mother earth...grow a brain.farmers should fence their animals better then.theres no way you can spin it that makes tearing an innocent defenceless animal to shreads right

the family who runs the hunting club in our area own a horse riding centre/farm,live in a castle,own a rolls royce/2 mercs/2 landrovers....its a class thing i guess lol

First point, what his this got to do with their character?

Second point, do you know every hunter in the world? Or do you know the vast majority? Or do you happen to know a local few upon which you're basing that silly generalisation?

Blisterman wrote: »
    Sheep are someone's livelihood. Foxes aren't.

The argument was that dogs should be allowed do what they "do": you're making my point for me, its a silly argument.

• Advertisement

yuppp

Animals(non human) are fair game. It the circle of life (cue the lion king music)

Cool. I will kill your pets next time I see them so. :)

so hunters do it for mother earth...grow a brain.farmers should fence their animals better then.theres no way you can spin it that makes tearing an innocent defenceless animal to shreads right

Yes, they do, control of vermin, bot terrestrial and avian, contributes to increased numbers of songbirds, small mammals and reptiles and game birds. so yeah, I think the conservation element works alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

SDooM wrote: »
    Cool. I will kill your pets next time I see them so. :)

I dont keep pets, thats just cruel, forcing an animal to deny its nature!

Morlar wrote: »
    is for wussies and left handed girls.

lol... my grandad fought for freedom in this country and you young whippersnappers....etc, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

while game bird numbers are down this year, and the two are connected.

But surely that wouldn't have anything to do with HUNTING would it?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54503174&postcount=381
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54416231&postcount=369
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54347519&postcount=318

Yes, they do, control of vermin, bot terrestrial and avian, contributes to increased numbers of songbirds, small mammals and reptiles and game birds. so yeah, I think the conservation element works alright.

According to you in the animal forum, they only do 1% of the vermin control.

DonJose wrote: »

No, no it would not. It would be extraordinarily difficult to depopulate an area of birds by shooting practices. While I don't condone it, I'd salute anyone with the skill to make a serious impact.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Foxes cause very heavy damage to wild bird and domestic bird stocks.They are indescriminate killers and will regularly destroy more birds than they can eat.One fox can wipe out an entire stock of pheasant poults,or an entire chicken coop in a very short period of time.Hunting is not the most efficient way of dealing witth foxes,that would be gassing or poisoning and this will kill young and old foxes alike.If hunting is banned the fox population will not increase,they will be all killed to preserve wildlife and game stocks.Fox hunting provides employment for thousands of people from farriers to dog breeders,clothing suppliers,stables,grooms,feed suppliers and a host of others.The people who want fox hunting banned are people with no concept of the way the countryside works.The counryside in its present state may appear to be wild but it is,in fact completely man made.If there were no cows,the grazing fields would return to weeds and scrub.If there were no game shooting,habitats would not be maintained and would rapidly become devoid of important and valuable species.The countryside is all about sustainable growth and managed predators.Foxes allowed to breed unchecked will rapidly destroy carefully managed eco-systems.City-dwelling hipies should keep thier uninformed noses out of ancient and workable rural traditions and stick to bull****ting on about bicycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

As I said on the other thread, ban it. If Fox's numbers need to be kept down due to over-population, then there be humane shooting...not a f*king circus with a herd of dogs, horses and ruddy cheeked gob****es.

And as I said on the other, thread if I found any of these "hunters" on my land, I'd lay about them with a stick.

• Advertisement

lol! listen i know what hunters are like...people breed pheasants where i live....prctically tame and releaase them and then go shooting them....you are naive to suggest fox hunters hunt for the sake of humanity lol they are just posh knobs keeping up the ancient tradition of upper-class entertainment

lol! listen i know what hunters are like...people breed pheasants where i live....prctically tame and releaase them and then go shooting them....you are naive to suggest fox hunters hunt for the sake of humanity lol they are just posh knobs keeping up the ancient tradition of upper-class entertainment

No, I'm not naive at all. Foxes do enormous damage. Those reared pheasants aren't all shot by the by. While plenty are, those that aren't are a further contribution to the increase of wild populations, and would not happen without the input of the shooting fraternity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

No it aint.What about the network of support that a hunt needs.Are gamekeepers and groomsmen upper class??

Degsy wrote: »
    Foxes cause very heavy damage to wild bird and domestic bird stocks.They are indescriminate killers and will regularly destroy more birds than they can eat.One fox can wipe out an entire stock of pheasant poults,or an entire chicken coop in a very short period of time.Hunting is not the most efficient way of dealing witth foxes,that would be gassing or poisoning and this will kill young and old foxes alike.If hunting is banned the fox population will not increase,they will be all killed to preserve wildlife and game stocks.Fox hunting provides employment for thousands of people from farriers to dog breeders,clothing suppliers,stables,grooms,feed suppliers and a host of others.The people who want fox hunting banned are people with no concept of the way the countryside works.The counryside in its present state may appear to be wild but it is,in fact completely man made.If there were no cows,the grazing fields would return to weeds and scrub.If there were no game shooting,habitats would not be maintained and would rapidly become devoid of important and valuable species.The countryside is all about sustainable growth and managed predators.Foxes allowed to breed unchecked will rapidly destroy carefully managed eco-systems.City-dwelling hipies should keep thier uninformed noses out of ancient and workable rural traditions and stick to bull****ting on about bicycles.

Ok. Kill them humanely then, and get jobs as breeders of other dogs, suppliers of quality clothing, groomers in riding schools etc.

Degsy wrote: »

no concept to how the countryside works.....having lived in the country in the west of ireland all my life,both my parents coming from farming backgrounds,knowing the people who run the hunting in my area...no i'd say i have a wee idea now.and they do it for pure entertainment and get fcuking pissed aswell..oo all in a days work for those superheros saving our countryside.i assume their landrovers are all environmentally friendly because they are such conscienceous people lol

the arguement that killing a wild animal in its natural habitat for the good of the area is not goin to cut it when everyone knows the reality.they do it for fun...get over it

no concept to how the countryside works.....having lived in the country in the west of ireland all my life,both my parents coming from farming backgrounds,knowing the people who run the hunting in my area...no i'd say i have a wee idea now.and they do it for pure entertainment and get fcuking pissed aswell..oo all in a days work for those superheros saving our countryside.i assume their landrovers are all environmentally friendly because they are such conscienceous people lol

Hunting promotes a balanced ecology. Fox numbers are controlled vigorously, and while the mounted side of hunting continues to have such a positive impact on our economy, and while it remains humane, in that the fox is killed instantly upon capture, there is no legitimate reason to ban it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Cats are the ones that kill thousand of songbirds every year and they aren't even native.

If you want to go hunting, kill cats as they aren't even native.

foxes also kill songbirds. Feral cats are fair game as vermin to my mind, though with populations minicule compared to foxes, I know which is the priority.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

wrote:
    How many forums will this be posted in?.

Desperation springs to mind.....

Here

Here

and now here in AH, all current and the same poster.....

:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement