Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedestrian flattened in Ranelagh

Options
  • 29-01-2008 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

It was a rough cycle into work this morning.
    But far rougher for some...
    I saw a pedestrian get flattened by a cyclist in Ranelagh.

The pedestrian was weaving through stationary traffic and then into the cycle lane without looking.
    The bike didn't seem to have time to stop.
    She (pedestrian) was knocked over, her glasses smashed and maybe some dental work needed.

She admitted it was her fault. Maybe it could have been prevented if both people were looking and listening a little harder.

A horrific scene but all walked away from it.
    The cyclist disappeared into the crowd of helpers and went on his way.

I suppose I'm posting this to say look out for one another out there. Especially when it's raining.

Cyclists:
    Make sure your brakes are in good order and that you have a bell. (bigger the better!)
    Don't wear headphones.
    Think about keeping 2 fingers on the brake levers in busy areas. (reduce stopping time)

Pedestrians:
    Look out! Open your eyes and ears.
    Watch for cycle lanes.
    Don't wear headphones on full blast. Take them out at crossings etc - use common sense.
    And don't be texting!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Howitzer wrote: »
    Cyclists:
    Make sure your brakes are in good order and that you have a bell. (bigger the better!)

The human voice can convey much more information, and more loudly, than any bell available for a bicycle. Also, it is far quicker to scream than it is to reach for a bell - it is safer to use your voice too as you can leave your hands occupied with working the brakes and/or steering.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

She admitted it was her fault. Maybe it could have been prevented if both people were looking and listening a little harder.
    If I am passing stationary traffic I look through the vehicle windows to see if there is a pedestrian about. For cars you can generally look over the roof. It's windowless vans that are frustrating because you really have to slow right down.

Hopefully the onlookers will also be more aware of cyclists when crossing the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭wahlrab

i think bells are more effective than shouting unless you can scream at a very high pitch, anyway people are probably more likely to hear a bell through there headphones than a human voice, either way I hate cyclists when I am a pedestian and i hate everything when I am a cyclist ha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

wahlrab wrote: »
    i think bells are more effective than shouting unless you can scream at a very high pitch, anyway people are probably more likely to hear a bell through there headphones than a human voice, either way I hate cyclists when I am a pedestian and i hate everything when I am a cyclist ha

When a collision is imminent, a bell will do nothing to prevent it and leaves the cyclist concentrating on using their hand for something other than the crucial tasks of braking and steering.

I have managed to make my voice heard through a lot of things, including windscreens, when necessary. I wouldn't want to have to rely on a bell (which is basically just an annoyance and yet another object to impale myself with in a collision).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

What I find most effective is to set the front brake blocks slightly at an angle, so they *screeeech* when you jam them on. This makes people react instantly, unlike a shout or a bell, which makes them stop and think "What's this, then?"

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

luckat wrote: »
    What I find most effective is to set the front brake blocks slightly at an angle, so they *screeeech* when you jam them on. This makes people react instantly, unlike a shout or a bell, which makes them stop and think "What's this, then?"

and also makes you go insane in short order. so everyones a weener!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Pedestrians:
    Look out! Open your eyes and ears.
    Watch for cycle lanes.
    Dont you mean pedestrian lanes? thats what most people figure they are. The painting of the guy on the bike screams "walk here" to some idiots. It really should be a pic of a person walking crossed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

luckat wrote: »
    I agree. Also, add a hint of panic to your voice when you shout 'mind' or 'look out' and it conveys meaning much better than a bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

A bell is actually useful if you're coming up behind people in a mixed use cycle track (read all of them) but it's no use in an imminent collision. I used to have one myself but got rid of it due to lack of space on the handlebars (currently have two sets of lights, two computers (GPS/normal), and a front bag mounting bracket on my commuter.) In the coming up behind people situation a bell is more easily recognisable than shouting. Brake screeching is effective though it tends to give people the impression you nearly cycled into them in my experience (I have a screechy back brake, use the front one for stopping.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

blorg wrote: »
    A bell is actually useful if you're coming up behind people in a mixed use cycle track (read all of them) but it's no use in an imminent collision.

+1 I have one of those clanger bells that sounds a bit like the luas and with its pitch and resonance it can be heard a fair way off. Podestrians tend to veer off the track, lemming like when they hear it. I'd rarely be going fast enough in stationary traffic / congested areas to not be able to brake with my big finger. But there's little you can do except yell and brake if some twit appears like a pop-up target.

Used to have a deadly scooter horn, scared the shi'ite out of cars and kerbswooners but of course it was vandalised then nicked:mad:

Glad everyone was okay earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If my visibility is severely restricted, e.g. passing a bus or in stop-start traffic or where I just kknow that the pedestrian ahead isn't watching, I have no problem using the bell. If a crash is imminent, scream and use the brakes - a bell is useless in such a situation.

Advertisement