Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Editing Thread Titles

Options
  • 29-01-2008 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭

Afternoon, this is a question and depending on the answer a suggestion!

Is it possible to edit the name of a thread you have created? If so how? And if not could this option be added to the thread tools. It seems a bit of a waste of a mod/admins time to be asking them to do it for you if you for example make a spelling mistake when creating a thread. See my Quiz thread in BGRH for example:o

Cheers
    Slo Mo
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Afternoon, this is a question and depending on the answer a suggestion!

Is it possible to edit the name of a thread you have created? If so how? And if not could this option be added to the thread tools. It seems a bit of a waste of a mod/admins time to be asking them to do it for you if you for example make a spelling mistake when creating a thread. See my Quiz thread in BGRH for example:o

Cheers
    Slo Mo

I thought you just edit the title of the first post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Just had a look, the option to edit a post seems to dissapear after a time!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Just like editing your posts you can only edit the title of the thread within two or three days. If you wish to edit the title after this time you can PM the mod of the forum where the thread is.

Gordon wrote: »
    Just like editing your posts you can only edit the title of the thread within two or three days. If you wish to edit the title after this time you can PM the mod of the forum where the thread is.

I see, while I can see the logic in not being able to go back and edit a post after a certain time, I think it would make sense to be able to edit the thread title, possibly to reflect a change in direction of the content or to clarify what it is about!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I kinda agree but the reason the edit-delay was put in was due to people editing thread content to mislead/be a muppet. The same could happen with thread titles, not as severe of course, but still could cause similar issues.

• Advertisement

Gordon wrote: »
    I kinda agree but the reason the edit-delay was put in was due to people editing thread content to mislead/be a muppet. The same could happen with thread titles, not as severe of course, but still could cause similar issues.

I understand and agree totally with that point! Wouldn't think it would be abused much for thread titles though, as those who would mess with posts tend to be trolls and not thread starters!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

To edit the title you have to first select the post to 'edit' then select 'go advanced'

You probably can't have the 'edit title' option without the 'edit post' option. All a mod has to do is click on the title in the main forum to edit it. He/She doesn't even have to open the thread to do it. It's no hassle at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

You can also double-click in the row of a thread you created, which will turn the title link into editable space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I understand and agree totally with that point! Wouldn't think it would be abused much for thread titles though, as those who would mess with posts tend to be trolls and not thread starters!
    pfft, you've never started a trolly thread?

n00b :rolleyes:

You can also double-click in the row of a thread you created, which will turn the title link into editable space.

As above! It can't be done after a period of time (just tried it, I can with this one but not the other)
    DesF wrote: »
    pfft, you've never started a trolly thread?

n00b :rolleyes:

That's n00b of the year to you!:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

As above! It can't be done after a period of time (just tried it, I can with this one but not the other)
    Ah yeah, that would make sense :)

Advertisement