Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best poster of 2007

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Not sure who'd play Dawkins, Russell or McGinn with, have to think about that.

:eek:

Look no further! :D

<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

stevejazzx wrote: »
    p.s wicknight would've been next...so much anger..it's great! :)
    anger? what anger?

Wait? You didn't vote for me first .. I'LL KILL YOU!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Wicknight wrote: »
    anger? what anger?

Wait? You didn't vote for me first .. I'LL KILL YOU!!!!!

ok man put down the bible. I heard you like to bash peoples skulls in with bibles shouting 'so religons not violent eh?'

ahh the irony....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Zillah wrote: »
    Clearly we have different understandings of the meaning of the word "literally". We also spell it differently, but I respect your right to do that.

Considering how much I tend to upset people I suppose that makes me Dawkins.

I'm sorry it seems my posts have annoyed you. I was trying to be a bit controversial. It didn't work it seems.

I agree Scofflaw has a turn of phrase alright, but I am not sure he has the same depth of knowledge as Robindch who unlike the rest of us makes his points succintly and without waffle and is without question the best poster here.

Robin! Ha...that's a larf...he thought John Williams the guitarist was the same guy who wrote the score for the star wars movies....:)

Seriously though...I wouldn't know how to seperate them. They're both extremely well versed on the subjects at hand. Robin can really kill off an argument though, he can be very cutting in a subtle manner. Scofflaw tends to draw in his prey, ensnares it, pretends to release it before, in one last violent act, snapping off it's head...no doubt while sipping some nice brandy. Wicknight on the other hand has a more balls to the wall approach..straight in there, nip it in the bud kind of thing. So who's the best? It a silly question really..they all have their moments.... I mean come on are we actually going to select one guy and say 'he's the best?' That's a little self depreciating isn't it? We should acknowledge good posters but electing a leader? Isn't that what religons do?:)

• Advertisement

I heard you like to bash peoples skulls in with bibles shouting 'so religons not violent eh?'

ROFL :p

Its the easiest way to prove a point :D

Isn't that what religons do?:)

All hail me, The Leader. Here is my new logo

specialk2.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Wicknight wrote: »
    All hail me, The Leader. Here is my new logo
    lightning_28148.jpg

*singes wicknight*

Dades wrote: »
    lightning_28148.jpg

*singes wicknight*

well that's just great!, the moderator of the atheist froum thinks he's god.....
    is there any end to this demonic chrsitian subversion...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Robin! Ha...that's a larf...he thought John Williams the guitarist was the same guy who wrote the score for the star wars movies....:)

Seriously though...I wouldn't know how to seperate them. They're both extremely well versed on the subjects at hand. Robin can really kill off an argument though, he can be very cutting in a subtle manner. Scofflaw tends to draw in his prey, ensnares it, pretends to release it before, in one last violent act, snapping off it's head...no doubt while sipping some nice brandy. Wicknight on the other hand has a more balls to the wall approach..straight in there, nip it in the bud kind of thing. So who's the best? It a silly question really..they all have their moments.... I mean come on are we actually going to select one guy and say 'he's the best?' That's a little self depreciating isn't it? We should acknowledge good posters but electing a leader? Isn't that what religons do?:)
    I had a few debates with Scofflaw and I thought he was clutching at straws and would resort to personalising an debate far too quickly.
    He also has this habbit of rewording the other person argument. While sometimes he may do a better job, he sometimes he goes off on a tangent.
    He also picks on silly little things like typos.

He likes making something that is grey, greyer, or something inexact more inexact. Whereas Robindch separates inexactness from exactness.

Also, from my own experience Robindch deals with better than Scofflaw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

For a bunch of people who will burn in the depts of hell you are all pretty funny. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'm finding it hard to vote for myself in this poll, fairly hard...

For a bunch of people who will burn in the depts of hell you are all pretty funny. :D

does it have to be the depts of hells...that sounds far down...I'd prefer a light tan if at all possible...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

does it have to be the depts of hells...that sounds far down...I'd prefer a light tan if at all possible...

Nope has to be the depts, sorry I dont make the rules. :cool:

well that's just great!, the moderator of the atheist froum thinks he's god.....
    is there any end to this demonic chrsitian subversion...
    Perhaps this would have been more appropriate...

palpatine_yoda.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭sdep

Hi,
    Just for some mild amusement, entertainment and to give credit where it's due. I suggest we have a little vote for who were was the best poster in 2007.

Obviously we can't include all people in the 10 so what I'll do is include names of people who post a lot and then I'll include an other please state. Then we could have a second round, if needs be.

Thanks

If this proves a success, will you be repeating it over in the other place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Is there no way we could do a bit of atheist hubandry and produce a hybrid of Wicknight and Scofflaw?

A scoffnight?

A wickflaw?

... inevitable "Twins" references on a postcard.

Ps.

Tim ... Jerry Springer? Really? Harsh.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Wow, a nomination, I'm surprised my barely coherent ramblings even registered.

I would rate Scofflaw, Wicknight and Robindch highly due the hours they put in here but I voted for Scofflaw since the world does revolve around him...

Son Goku can always be counted on for top notch scientific knowledge also.

I would have voted for The Atheist but this new Dades guy is rubbish.

5uspect wrote: »
    I would have voted for The Atheist but this new Dades guy is rubbish.
    I guess at least I'm recycled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Scofflaw & Dades good, though Wicknights posts just always hit the spot exactly, and are very easy to read.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

5uspect wrote: »
    I would rate Scofflaw, Wicknight and Robindch highly due the hours they put in here but I voted for Scofflaw since the world does revolve around him...
    Likewise. They all produce good stuff, but on occasion I've opened an otherwise unpromising thread just because Scofflaw's the last poster. I think the only other poster I'd do that with is PDN - get the pair of them in the one thread, and it can be very interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

It's getting to the point where I dare not actually comment on this thread...I am voting for Son Goku, who, though he posts rarely, is extremely clear. Personally, though, I like all the posters here.

weeping, thanking my manager, my mother, my wife, many friends and acquaintances, my old English teacher, the dog, the dog's friends......,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote: »
    It's getting to the point where I dare not actually comment on this thread...I am voting for Son Goku, who, though he posts rarely, is extremely clear. Personally, though, I like all the posters here.

weeping, thanking my manager, my mother, my wife, many friends and acquaintances, my old English teacher, the dog, the dog's friends......,
    Scofflaw

Dont forget God and Jesus ... without whom, you genuinely wouldnt be here ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Schuhart wrote: »
    Likewise. They all produce good stuff, but on occasion I've opened an otherwise unpromising thread just because Scofflaw's the last poster. I think the only other poster I'd do that with is PDN - get the pair of them in the one thread, and it can be very interesting.

There's been some good debates with Christians here, PDN in particular. Would be nice to get more theists in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Dont forget God and Jesus ... without whom, you genuinely wouldnt be here ;)

I'd like to thank the quirk in the human psyche that makes people invent imaginary friends...
    5uspect wrote:
    There's been some good debates with Christians here, PDN in particular. Would be nice to get more theists in.

I'd cheerfully vote for PDN, twisty bagstick that he is.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote: »

Scofflaw

Should that not be a capital W for weeping and only three periods after friends (ie ...)?

Seriously I am quite surprised at the results of this poll. I didn't expect Scofflaw to run away with it.

Tim, smart money would always have been on the Wicknight, Scofflaw race.

Its starting to look like the Clilnton/Obama thing already. I'd try and get them into a debate over it but I would chance my arm that their mutual respect would make it no fun.

The difference in the scores is a little surprising but I think thats down to a matter of patience on Scofflaws part. The description of him playing with his victims like a cat with a rather deluded mouse is quite apt while Wicknight batters people around the head and shoulders with their book-of-nonsnse-of-choice is quite the cartoon ... and quite apt.

Tim, smart money would always have been on the Wicknight, Scofflaw race.

Its starting to look like the Clilnton/Obama thing already. I'd try and get them into a debate over it but I would chance my arm that their mutual respect would make it no fun.

The difference in the scores is a little surprising but I think thats down to a matter of patience on Scofflaws part. The description of him playing with his victims like a cat with a rather deluded mouse is quite apt while Wicknight batters people around the head and shoulders with their book-of-nonsnse-of-choice is quite the cartoon ... and quite apt.
    I'd put Robin iand Son Goku in a separate league to both of them combined.

I rate posters on:
    1. Ability to provide useful information.
    2. Ability to make points succintly and quickly.
    3. Ability not to resort to slagging typos
    4. Ability to stick to logic and avoid rhetoric
    5. Ability to have understanding (not changing) of opponents argument.
    6. Ability not to personally insult opponent and to stick to logic.

Scofflaw and PDN's stlye are very similar. I thought they might be brothers at one stage. I would imagine they would both be top of the class in English. I think Robindch and Son Goku would take them in Maths though.

I'd say you were fairly decent at English as you have a good vocab and turn of phrase, but I can imagine you getting really wound up and probably getting into a few fights in your time.

I rate posters on:

Scofflaw and PDN's stlye are very similar. I thought they might be brothers at one stage. I would imagine they would both be top of the class in English. I think Robindch and Son Goku would take them in Maths though.

I'd say you were fairly decent at English as you have a good vocab and turn of phrase, but I can imagine you getting really wound up and probably getting into a few fights in your time.

Damn ... can't argue with that. ;)

• Advertisement

I rate posters on:

Tim I don't mean to insult you here but wouldn't you have to be even more skilled that those you describe in order to be able to judge their attributes correctly?

Advertisement