Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trading In Games

Options
  • 29-01-2008 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭

I have only traded in one game in my whole life, and that was 'goldeneye rogue agent' possibly one of the best decisions i have made, because it was so crap. I now only buy games if they are playable after being finished or they have multiplayer. So i have PS2 Games from years ago, and i get that urge to play an old game, and its sitting there...:)

I have loads of friends that trade in games, and they get barely anything back! One friend traded in three newish games for a new release? He has done this for ages, and now he only has 2 games! I think people are being ripped off everywhere, has anyone else had an experience like this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

I tend to buy most things 2nd hand cos they're cheaper. And then trade them in. The poor price you get matters less in that instance. If I buy new games I just play through them once and they sit on a shelf for two years gathering dust.

The only games I tend to replay are arcadey games because they're short, not to mention bloody rare on the current gen systems. Most games from the last 10 years or so are incredibly long so it's hard to find time to play through em again like one might have done in the 16 bit era. I've still hung onto all my shmups and music games for the PS1 and PS2. They're often a bitch to find again if you've sold them and it's easy throw them on for 30 minutes now and then without having to go searching for memory card saves and all that bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Once I finish a game I rarely re-play it again. Your are right though the price you get back from trading in your games is dismal. Any new release games that I finish I put on ebay and any second hand games I buy I usually just trade them in the shop.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I used to trade in but found the return so low that now I hang onto most things, unless it's a game I bought brand new, then I will, more often than not, trade them in or swap them with mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I try to buy games pre-owned now, I ask to have a look at the disc and they are always really good. So instead of buying a newish game, i can get three games for that price. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

If I can avoid trading in games I will. I've been trying to shift a couple of games less than 6 months old but have not been having much luck so will bite the bullet and trade them in while there is still value in them. I'll rarely buy a brand new game if I can avoid it. Mario Galaxy was the last one I got but I just couldn't wait for that one.

Ebay and the odd 2nd hand deal you come across in the game stores etc. But having said that the 2nd hand price in GameStop etc is generally horrific.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

when trading games, the service has to primarily make money for the store. you trading in 6 dragon ball z games on ps2 will get you piss all money because they won't sell in the shop unless they go dirt cheap.

you'll only get a return on new ps3/360 games right now, as some stores (xtra-vision and game) can offer around 40e per new title when you trade-up on another game, which is very reasonable IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

The only games I tend to replay are arcadey games because they're short, not to mention bloody rare on the current gen systems. Most games from the last 10 years or so are incredibly long so it's hard to find time to play through em again like one might have done in the 16 bit era.

I find that games are getting shorter and shorter, most FPS are finishable in a weekend these days.
    I don't tend to trade much in myself to be honest, have a stack load of games sitting at home I'll never play again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

when trading games, the service has to primarily make money for the store. you trading in 6 dragon ball z games on ps2 will get you piss all money because they won't sell in the shop unless they go dirt cheap.

you'll only get a return on new ps3/360 games right now, as some stores (xtra-vision and game) can offer around 40e per new title when you trade-up on another game, which is very reasonable IMO

That's fine Projectmayhem, but we don't all have PS3s or 360s. I still only have a PS2, Gamecube and Xbox. In Ireland, I think only Game still accepts the latter two as trade-in's. Gamestop don't, not sure about Xtra-Vision. It's as if Gamestop expected everyone to buy into the next-gen consoles, and only the Wii is in anyway affordable (the machine atleast).

I think trade-in's are terrible, pure greed at work. If they offered a fair price, more people would trade more often. That makes sense doesnt it? These guys are making a ball of money. And don't get me started on DVDs...but I'm going off my point.

I don't trade-in anymore. I'll sell or trade online. I might buy a used game that I really want in a store, but I'll be sure I'll want it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭vestanpance

I've never traded a game or tried to sell it on ebay. I have every game I've ever bought still even though most of them will never be played again. I think I just like having them in a good collection.

If there was a game that you thought you'd finish quickly and probably never play again would you rent it for a week rather than buy and try to trade?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I don't usually advocate services but i'll be getting a PS3 once it drops below €200 (or just before GTA is released ;)) and i'll be using this service.

http://www.gamesenders.ie/ (check the whois, i'm not affiliated with this site :rolleyes:)

I never see the point in buying a game as 9 times out of 10 i'll play through it once and then never play it again. Gone are the days when you'd have to wait months between major console releases so you had to replay whatever game you had. Now its odd if you have to go 2 weeks before another major console game is release.

This site has everything I need, free postage, no late fees and a cheap monthly rate. I've been looking for the catch and I can't find one. Plus no more getting ripped off when trading in a game.

I remember once I was trading in Time Crisis 1 with the gun in game, he gave me £15 for it, then the next guy behind wanted to buy it and they sold it to him for £40... I was sick, if i'd known I would of asked the chap to step outside and sold it to him for £35.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Met some of those gamesender guys at the WCG in October (they were sponsors) and they seemed like good schtock (to use a Mayo expression) and the service seemed reasonable. When I get a 360, I'll be looking into this cause €60 - €75 a game is beyond daft!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Funny thing getting "used" games cheaper. I mean when you look at it, if the game installs/runs properly you're getting the same experience as the first person to use it. Only difference is usually a shoddier (sp?) case/manual.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    I don't usually advocate services but i'll be getting a PS3 once it drops below €200 (or just before GTA is released ;)) and i'll be using this service.

http://www.gamesenders.ie/ (check the whois, i'm not affiliated with this site :rolleyes:)

I never see the point in buying a game as 9 times out of 10 i'll play through it once and then never play it again. Gone are the days when you'd have to wait months between major console releases so you had to replay whatever game you had. Now its odd if you have to go 2 weeks before another major console game is release.

This site has everything I need, free postage, no late fees and a cheap monthly rate. I've been looking for the catch and I can't find one. Plus no more getting ripped off when trading in a game.

I remember once I was trading in Time Crisis 1 with the gun in game, he gave me £15 for it, then the next guy behind wanted to buy it and they sold it to him for £40... I was sick, if i'd known I would of asked the chap to step outside and sold it to him for £35.

An excellent idea if ever I saw one. I think I read somewhere that Sony were thinking of somehow coding PS3 games so they could only be played on 1 machine because they lost an awful lot to pre-owned trading. But that might be bollox. Also saw a comic on Penny Arcade where they mentioned the Digital Solution....load games on to hard-drives, no more CDs. Anyone hear of that? Would put the likes of Gamestop out of business!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Rarely trade in games as most of my stuff would be worth dirt anyway and i make a point of harvesting bargains when in the 2nd hand section of games stores (got Max Payne 2 for a fiver today).

I seem to pimp it a fair bit but Adverts.ie is as good a place as any to sell old games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

L31mr0d wrote: »

Same here but with gamestop... I bought oblivion brand new in argos for the 360 and didnt like it so I went to trade it in... 13 euro CREDIT would have been under 10 cash! A guy behind me comes up to the counter " have you got oblivion for the 360?" Yea ill have a copy for you now in about a 2 minutes and nods at me.. "How much" "€39.99"

im never trading a game in there again! adverts is a good bet but I had tried to trade oblivion there to no avail!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

CCCP^ wrote: »
    That's fine Projectmayhem, but we don't all have PS3s or 360s. I still only have a PS2, Gamecube and Xbox. In Ireland, I think only Game still accepts the latter two as trade-in's. Gamestop don't, not sure about Xtra-Vision. It's as if Gamestop expected everyone to buy into the next-gen consoles, and only the Wii is in anyway affordable (the machine atleast).

xtra-vision still accept ps2 games. not xbox, and probably not gamecube. they have to cater to the market... not to exactly what YOU want. when you trade in, whatever the price, only you benefit. the next person to come and buy simply won't buy that old ps2 game (in general). what sells are 360 and ps3 traded games.
    . I might buy a used game that I really want in a store, but I'll be sure I'll want it first.

like most others. this is why they don't take in your old crap at a good price.

xtra-vision still accept ps2 games. not xbox, and probably not gamecube. they have to cater to the market... not to exactly what YOU want. when you trade in, whatever the price, only you benefit. the next person to come and buy simply won't buy that old ps2 game (in general). what sells are 360 and ps3 traded games.

like most others. this is why they don't take in your old crap at a good price.

9/10 people don't have a Gamecube, but just about everybody had an Xbox. If Game are still doing it, then why can't Xtra-Vision? It's not just catering to me, there's plenty of people out there who have those machines and still want to play them, even if there are better machines on the martket. The only people who benefit from trading in are the company and the person who buys it. We can't all afford the PS3 or 360 yet and tbh, I'm happy with the machines I have.

Lets take something that is affordable - the Nintendo DS. Almost all the stores we've talked about accept those as trade-in's. So I buy a new DS game for 40 euro, trade it in sometime later and get....10 euro? Well ok, I guess I've played the game and enjoyed it and have no further use for it, so I'll take the 10 quid because it's the most I can get for it. Then it gets sold for 30 euro, 10 quid less than a new game. Wtf? I understand this isn't Soviet Ireland, people have to make a profit. Nobody has to fair to the consumer, in general nobody is, but I always feel like a fool when I trade in. If I put an ad in the buy & sell for said DS game, to say sell it for 20 euro, then everybody wins. Cut out the middle man.

9/10 people don't have a Gamecube, but just about everybody had an Xbox. If Game are still doing it, then why can't Xtra-Vision? It's not just catering to me, there's plenty of people out there who have those machines and still want to play them, even if there are better machines on the martket. The only people who benefit from trading in are the company and the person who buys it. We can't all afford the PS3 or 360 yet and tbh, I'm happy with the machines I have.

having worked in retail involving games, and game trades... NO ONE buys xbox traded games. ps2 traded dropped off big time. the money's in 360 and ps3 trades.

and yes, the people who benefit are the consumers and stores. welcome to capitalism.
    Lets take something that is affordable - the Nintendo DS. Almost all the stores we've talked about accept those as trade-in's. So I buy a new DS game for 40 euro, trade it in sometime later and get....10 euro? Well ok, I guess I've played the game and enjoyed it and have no further use for it, so I'll take the 10 quid because it's the most I can get for it. Then it gets sold for 30 euro, 10 quid less than a new game. Wtf? I understand this isn't Soviet Ireland, people have to make a profit. Nobody has to fair to the consumer, in general nobody is, but I always feel like a fool when I trade in. If I put an ad in the buy & sell for said DS game, to say sell it for 20 euro, then everybody wins. Cut out the middle man.

then sell your games in the buy&sell? you know exactly what you're getting out of the game stores. it's not like their profiteering is hidden.

Who did you work for btw?

I only sell my games online now. I don't buy games except on the rare occassion from the second-hand sections when its a game I really wanted and have been trying to get for sometime. I try to buy games new as often as possible. Why? Because I believe the developer or publisher should get the money, so that they can continue to make quality games.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Cardinal

Nobody has to fair to the consumer, in general nobody is, but I always feel like a fool when I trade in. If I put an ad in the buy & sell for said DS game, to say sell it for 20 euro, then everybody wins. Cut out the middle man.

I would say that the service of selling your game for you is probably worth about €10. I certainly wouldn't be bothered wasting time putting an ad in buy and sell and sorting out postage and whatever when I can just drop into game and sell it straight away.

I don't sell on my games though. They're usually worth more to me than any one else is willing to pay for them. I like to keep them. It's not about being fair to the consumer, it's about what things are worth and to whom.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Cardinal wrote: »
    I would say that the service of selling your game for you is probably worth about €10. I certainly wouldn't be bothered wasting time putting an ad in buy and sell and sorting out postage and whatever when I can just drop into game and sell it straight away.

Exactly.

A) Drop into a shop and trade it in with little hassle (and little return too).

B) Put an ad in http://www.buyandsell.ie/ OR http://www.adverts.ie/ , have to wait for a buyer, have to arrange payment, post out the game etc. Maybe make more money.

It's your choice.

If I do sell a game on I use craigslist as I'm Canada right now. Don't think it's taken off yet in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Sputnicks

I swore blind I would never trade in a game again after I got bent over and shafted by my local game store before Christmas trading in Halo 3. I got €20 for it only to find it on sale for €49.99 the following day. That's absolutely outrageous in my oppinion and that's been very ploite about it. Had a go at the youn lad behind the counter but in fairness not his fault - he did say that they have to test the games in all but to be honest I dont think they do - had to bring back 2 pre owned games before that would not play at all :(

That said would have to give it up to http://www.gamesnash.ie got some decent value off them and they took old xbox games off me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Sputnicks wrote: »
    . Had a go at the youn lad behind the counter but in fairness not his fault - he did say that they have to test the games in all but to be honest I dont think they do

Why didn't you contact the head office rather than giving hassle to someone on minimum wage who has no control whatsoever over things like that? If you weren't happy with the trade in price you were offered you could have said so as nobody was forcing you to trade anything in.

I asked him what was the story with the difference in the price - I did not know how much they would be selling it for after. If he is their representing the company why should I not ask him about it ????

You slagging off the price or saying its good ? I thought the prices were good

Amazon have it at 28 pounds http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00005T82I/sr=8-1/qid=1204396152/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1204396152&sr=8-1&seller=

and some dude on play has it at 150 euro !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

I asked him what was the story with the difference in the price - I did not know how much they would be selling it for after. If he is their representing the company why should I not ask him about it ????

You said you gave him hassle. You could have asked prior to the transaction. You were happy with the price you were quoted the first time round. It is not the cashier's fault you didn't ask beforehand. If you weren't happy with the price you were offered why did you accept it?

I said I had a go at him - didnt grab him over the countetr and threaten him or anything.

I got given 20 euro trade in and yeah I was not 100% happy with it but I still took it - was fed up with the Halo and that was all that was been offered in both the stores so way I saw it was that it was the going rate and had to be happy with is - 20 quid is better than nothing.

When I saw the price they were selling it at I was pissed off - I think selling it for over double what they paid for it is not fair. So I was annoyed and told them I was. I take your point about asking before hand but I did not think it was an issue - only after did it make me sick. don't want to get into a flaming session am only new here so as I said point taken but I hope you see where I was coming from. :)

• Advertisement

You slagging off the price or saying its good ? I thought the prices were good

Amazon have it at 28 pounds http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00005T82I/sr=8-1/qid=1204396152/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1204396152&sr=8-1&seller=

and some dude on play has it at 150 euro !

I've seen that in Gamestop for about a tenner I swear...or maybe not a tenner but alteast very cheap.

Advertisement