Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Significant snow Thursday Night/Friday/Saturday

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,480 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

It was snowing properly in Loughlinstown earlier but the roads are bone dry here.
    I'm beginning to be dubious as to how far south any precip is going to make it, at least on the east coast.
    I reckon even if it does arrive will be over quickly, bah, I hate northerlies!

All this wont stop me getting next to zero sleep tonight .....

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I hope my charts are proven a point.

You can see the sliver of "snowable" temps in the south of Ireland, tomorrow is much colder with snowable stickable temps.

Plus this front is gonna die out as it moves south anyway!!

shiibata wrote: »
    lashing rain ere in donegal, snow, they seek it ere, they seek it there, those boardies seek it everywhere

Lol , I reckon you'll still wake up to a white blanket of snow on Saturday morning, rain or no rain tonight, far from game over in the north and west.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Longfield wrote: »
    Lol , I reckon you'll still wake up to a white blanket of snow on Saturday morning, rain or no rain tonight, far from game over in the north and west.

Its not near game over anymore.

The game hasnt even begun ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭arctictree

Just went out to the garden. Its the coldest I've felt it in a long while. Our house is facing westerly and that gale coming off the mountains would go through you. 1.7c here ATM. Another degree colder and we have good snow stickable temps...

A

• Advertisement

Check out the maxima for Monday!

Rtavn9617.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭arctictree

Why is that precip over NI not showing up on the met.ie radar? Anyone??

The UKMO radar shows it as heading directly south...

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

yeah, it's clear here too.
    once the showers get going between 6 and nine am tomorrow morning snow will accumlate in the west, so there maybe a decent covering tomorrow morning.

but the way it is now i can't see much snow for us tonight(bar the odd passing shower)

What temp are you at nacho? I have 2.2c here now, I am just wondering if that band of rain to the north will stretch enough westwards to reach the cold air down here. It is the only hope I can see for toinght.

Forecast at 5.55 on radio one saying that showers will die away during the second half of tomorrow. Looks like this "cold snap" is looking more and more like a flogged dead horse. Ah well, there is always next winter. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Weather BOFH

arctictree wrote: »
    Why is that precip over NI not showing up on the met.ie radar? Anyone?

I've noticed the Dublin based radar on met.ie underplaying the precipitation in comparison to the UKMO and Netweather ones, either that or they are overplaying it!

Temp down to 0.8C here now, DP -0.6C. Wasn't tomorrow always going to be the best day for snow anyway? I just thought anything today was a bonus.

• Advertisement

Paddy.1 wrote: »
    Forecast at 5.55 on radio one saying that showers will die away during the second half of tomorrow. Looks like this "cold snap" is looking more and more like a flogged dead horse. Ah well, there is always next winter. :mad:

Ah no come off it.

Hard frost tonight.

Widespread frequent snow showers with prolonged snow showers tomorrow, signifigant accumalation in places.

Hard frost

Cold Saturday, light snow from west.

Rain/Sleet/Snow pushing east.

Cold on Sunday Afternoon

Hard frost down to -5c

Bitter on Monday with snow and maxima of 0-2c

Thats a decent snap and tomorrow is the biggest day, and it will deliver, that true polar airmass is still up past this front to our north, look at the fluffy masses of snow to the left of the low pressure swirl,

http://www.sat24.com/frame.php?html=view&country=gb&sat=ir

These will mass into Ireland tomorrow.

Interesting that there seems to be two areas of cloud about to meet in that satellite sequence - that to my mind means interesting stuff could happen.

Ah no come off it.
    These will mass into Ireland tomorrow.

They fecking better.:) surely this this winter cannot be 100% total ****e. And after the crap summer, this is cruel. :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

If the precip makes it we may just get away with it. Big if.

http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=55340

darkman2 wrote: »
    If the precip makes it we may just get away with it. Big if.

http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=55340

Its not gonna reach us IMO.

Best thing we can hope for is it to dy in NI, send the cold down, get down to 0c get a forst into us and look north from 6am ;)

Dew point here is -2.6°C, anything falling with be white tonight, wheter anything falls though..is another matter..

Arctictree's fancy new webcam will probably be able to pick up the light from any snow even in the dark, looking forward to checking that out.

Best thing we can hope for is it to dy in NI, send the cold down, get down to 0c get a forst into us and look north from 6am ;)

Wc what do you reckon is coming at 6AM apart from more showers that don't make it south or do in a very weakened state?

I agree it probrably wont reach us but looks well organised atm

http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=55342

Bare in mind thats entering -8 hpa air

To be perfectly honest i am abit confused at the moment.

I think see the left section of the spiralling low? i think that is expected to become detached from the main circulation and move southwards.

Although perhaps it is the activity to the west that we are meant to be watching? haha

Yes Darkman looks like she's holding her own ;)

To be perfectly honest i am abit confused at the moment.

I think see the left section of the spiralling low? i think that is expected to become detached from the main circulation and move southwards.

Although perhaps it is the activity to the west that we are meant to be watching? haha

Yes Darkman looks like she's holding her own ;)

Look what happens on the back end of the front

MALIN HEAD W 37 Gust 71 SLEET SHOWER

Got to be a shot inland if it makes it, Remember the colder air is ahead of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

SHANNON AIRPORT W 17 Gust 42 RECENT SNOW 4 74 0.1 1000

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Raining at the Belfasts despite quite low dps.

uk_cloudrain_08013121.jpg

21:00

That must be the front across the north atm

Will it turn increasingly to snow crossing land?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Yeah, I like that chart, I'll take that! :p

2.6c here and a DP of -0.1c, according to here:
    http://www.sat24.com/frame.php?html=view&country=gb

...we are still getting a W'ly feed which is now being pushed away by the great Northerly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,673 ✭✭✭squonk

That band in NI seemed to show up much better and more like the UKMO representation in Jean's forecast just now after the news. Hope I get a bit of a dusting here. It's a rare thing in this part of the world.

Jean Byrne seems to think so but was at odds with that map and said especially over connaught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭repr

Hey this was a couple of hours early. No forecast predicted heavy snow )Last time I trust BBC forecasts) for this early tonight but it chuckin it down with the white stuff up here:D Think thats u called WC just called a couple of hours earlier.

How the BBC didnt see this baffles me.

Latest radar shows it will get heavier;) Should head south soon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

if that band of precipitation doesnt deliver some lying snow tonight i think thats it, I know there will be snow showers 2moro but they will be scattered and have sunny spells between them so unlikely for anything to stick tomorrow unless there is lying snow from tonight. RTE's forecast also happen to have snow showers in the east on Monday's and Tuesdays charts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

...we are still getting a W'ly feed which is now being pushed away by the great Northerly

Well according to the sattelite image Sligo is now well within the "great northerly" but there's feck all change from earlier conditions. Strong winds, the odd squally, sleety shower, nothing sticking, nothing freezing yet either.

Qualifies as "shyte weather" ...nothing more

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote: »
    if that band of precipitation doesnt deliver some lying snow tonight i think thats it, I know there will be snow showers 2moro but they will be scattered and have sunny spells between them so unlikely for anything to stick tomorrow unless there is lying snow from tonight. RTE's forecast also happen to have snow showers in the east on Monday's and Tuesdays charts.
    Why would you think thats it?
    (1) I posted pages back that we are not really in the true artic air yet-it's behind that system heading south.
    What we have now is heavily modified artic air.
    (2) we're back to square one again on monday with more modified artic air behind sundays front.

Advertisement