Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Significant snow Thursday Night/Friday/Saturday

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Im finding it really hard to define where the change in temperatures ocurs on the satellite, usually it would be vague but youd be able to seaa the shift in airmass, but i have nothing, thats whats making me struggle with my predictions and nowcasting tonight!:D

Heavy precip heading for Dublin/Meath

Will be interesting... shud arrive within the hour/or 30mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Nights like tonight are what its all about, its blooming fantastic!! it could all end in tears or beers here!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

My beers are at the ready;)

But the current weather is testimont to how difficult it is to predict, the models had little if any precip for this time never mind a organised band moving south!

Getting kinda wild here now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,673 ✭✭✭squonk

Jeez just looked at the ME readar again. That precip has moved quite a bit in the last half hour. Should be kicking off with us here in Dublin in the next 45 mins/hour by that rate. Fingers crossed. Just put out the bin now. Clear and a great night for getting my telescope out but too damn cold!

But the current weather is testimont to how difficult it is to predict, the models had little if any precip for this time never mind a organised band moving south!

Getting kinda wild here now.

I know, its taken me totally by surprise , looks like we are getting more of the stuff than even Scotland or Engerland currently too, which is totally the opposite to normal winters.

Snowbie's gonna be sick reading this when he gets back from NYC.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Longfield wrote: »
    I know, its taken me totally by surprise , looks like we are getting more of the stuff than even Scotland or Engerland currently too, which is totally the opposite to normal winters.

Snowbie's gonna be sick reading this when he gets back from NYC.

... we hope anyway:D

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Cornilius

Will this warn sector front come in the form of showers or an organised band, as it fizzles out crossing the midland's to the east. Showers may give us a better chance of snow in the east?

What ya think?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

darkman2 wrote: »
    My beers are at the ready;)

Would also keep tissues to hand! Actually tissues are probably best bet as they can be used for two purposes! ;)

Temp here is rsing at the minute - curently +3.0c with DP of -1.0c

Intensity of precip could give us better chance of snow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭colmranger

Ah god be with the days when we had no internet or gadgets and we just kept looking out the window every now and again, was so much less stressfull than all this :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Cornilius wrote: »
    Will this warn sector front come in the form of showers or an organised band, as it fizzles out crossing the midland's to the east. Showers may give us a better chance of snow in the east?

What ya think?

The warm sector in this band is so small its clearing the country by midnight. Its normally, in these situations, in the middle and extends behind for a bit. Even colder air follows quickly though.

Thats it, I can't take it any more!!

Clink,clink,

Fizz,

Ahhhhhhhh :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

The wind has really gotten up here. A few small flakes just fell and it's 1.0c now. Fingers crossed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

The 6 hr loop till 8pm on that link shows the cold air barreling in behind that front that's crossing us now...the way it looks from the motion is as if the front is snaking along itself rather than coming straight on...
    http://oiswww.eumetsat.org/SDDI/html/images/out/SDDI-20080131-1800-RGB-09-AIR-02-1237.jpg

[edit] that storm low looks like a hurricane in that shot

Clones and Mullinger 1c and 2c!!
    Most of the heavy percipitation is on the leading edge so maybe a nice cover before it eventually turns back

Lets start praying!!

Flip! Looks like the precipitaion is fizzling out before it hits me here. Just looked out a moment ago and it's still clear but there's some wispy cloud to my north. Obviously the precip appreaching. Damn! I want snow!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

I bet this will all blow over like always (but hope it dont:D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

squonk wrote: »
    Flip! Looks like the precipitaion is fizzling out before it hits me here. Just looked out a moment ago and it's still clear but there's some wispy cloud to my north. Obviously the precip appreaching. Damn! I want snow!!!!

The precip is not travelling straight north to south but more northwest to southeasterly so you might still get lucky. Precip hasn't arrived yet but it should be here pretty soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Belmullet is reporting a temp of 5c and 'rain/thunder' :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Finally home, 8 pack of Heineken and ready to be disappointed :D

Oh...and off work tomorrow!

Wind has risen here in the last 20 mins or so. Getting cloudy now as well. Few flakes being carried on the wind but nothing major at all.

Longfield wrote: »
    Thats it, I can't take it any more!!

Clink,clink,

Fizz,

Ahhhhhhhh :D
    This might help your indigestion.
    Bren as you know,does know his stuff and works for a private met organisation afaik :)

Remember if this doesnt come off its all Darkmans fault, not mine! He made the thread!!

Showers packing into the country, wind howling...

Certainly cant see any sticky snow from this batch here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭tony1212

i know i asked this allready, but does anyone know if there is going to be snow in limerick, thanks

Bucketloads Tony1212! Get the supplies in now... could be a while before you make it outside again :D

Are there any reporters from north Meath/Cavan on the situation up there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Remember if this doesnt come off its all Darkmans fault, not mine! He made the thread!!

Showers packing into the country, wind howling...

Certainly cant see any sticky snow from this batch here.

We'll burn him alive........but torture you slowly.....very slowly.......as long as we've been waiting for this snow!! :mad: (:p)

This might help your indigestion.
    Bren as you know,does know his stuff and works for a private met organisation afaik :)

Yep, I'm climbing the walls here right now.
    Santa's coming.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

In Fermanagh here, cant report accurate temps, but its doing nothing but raining, pissing out of the heavens in fact. No sign of even sleet that I can see.

Advertisement