Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Significant snow Thursday Night/Friday/Saturday

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Longfield wrote: »
    The 21:00 radar is poor for us easterners, looks like its running out of steam fast :(

yeah its pretty much game over, maybe better luck next week

The only thing that works here is an easterly or a north easterly..... northerlys are either completely lacking in preciptation here or if there is precipitation there is too much modiefied atlantic sea air to have proper snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Cornilius

Its still bone dry ere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Anyone see the 930pm forecast? Snow over Dublin - should keep yea guys happy. Partly cloudy down here... :(

Ah, sure, maybe things will pep up. That Low is alot closer than the forecasts were suggesting yesterday.

Looking ahead to Sunday... Jean showed a mild sector of 9c waay out in mid atlantic, yet for sunday itself, the mild sector went in over SW England and NW France. The occlusion crosses us - no mild sector - should be a chance of snow across North midlands and North west areas???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,673 ✭✭✭squonk

Hang on! Am I missing something here but we're still due to get a good band of showers later in the night and early tomorrow morning Gonzo!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Rtavn062.png

There is the reason it is not snowing. It wont until the -5 line crosses the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

i have a funny feeling that the sw might get more out of this than i expected....current 1.3c but grass/car is frozen.....:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,932 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

darkman2 wrote: »
    Rtavn062.png

There is the reason it is not snowing. It wont until the -5 line crosses the country.

when will that be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

18z GFS says no to snow in Ireland tomorrow ;) Not much precip around... Thats only the 18z GFS though, no need to be too downbeat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

squonk wrote: »
    Hang on! Am I missing something here but we're still due to get a good band of showers later in the night and early tomorrow morning Gonzo!

IF there is a band early tmr morning, THEN it will fall as snow over the areas interested by precipitation (by that stage colder air will have dug in)....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yeah there will be snow falling tomorrow but it wont be enough for it to 'stick'. Im talking about game over from a lying snow point of view. We wont be seeing anything like what we saw beginning of the month.

Heavy passing snow showers during the day with sunny intervals doesnt make lying snow. We need a hammering, prolonged outbreak of snow to make it stick.

Today has brough nothing more than sleety wet muck, we need proper snowy powder for anything to stick.

Sorry if I seem downbeat but Ive a real feeling that this one just hasnt worked out, the real cold just didnt arrive, its heading towards scandinavia instead, and even if its 2 or 3C 2moro thats still too mild for snow to stick during scattered showers. We really need 0C during daylight hours and a few hours of proper snow for anything to stick.

• Advertisement

Take a look at the metcheck homepage - www.metcheck.com - [CHANGE] Weatherwatch to Republic of Ireland... virtually every county is on Snow alert!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,932 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

i'm still hopeful there will be lying snow by tomorrow morning. If it starts snowing in the early hours, or early tomorrow morning, it should be cold enough on the ground for it to accumulate. the ideal situation would be a trough at 2 or 3 am with none of this mild sector rubbish to ruin things.

yeah that band will increasingly turn to snow.
    In any case snow is imminent for artictree and longfield at their altitude within an hour or two.
    It's clear here and windy and 2.4c.
    The dp is -1.1c but that will rise above zero no doubt when the precip comes here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Is it raining/snowing anything in Dublin now?, should be almost there by now I would have thought.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭repr

LoL after about 20mins of intense snow it turned to rain up here. :D

What tells me is the GFS mild sector called this spot on so I wouldnt trust any other model as far as I could throw em.

Also I'm backin GFS all the way heavy snow for tomorrow :cool:

BBC predictin heaviest snow for NE England I right good one in NWesterly.

These guys have shown how ametuer they are already today -

They couldnt predict a fart!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

Rtavn062.png

no wonder its not snowing...the air above us theoretically isn't that cold....Be patient and wait another 3-4 hrs and temperatures will fall...:cool: (the -5 at 850 aint above us!)

yeah that band will increasingly turn to snow.
    In any case snow is imminent for artictree and longfield at their altitude within an hour or two.
    It's clear here and windy and 2.4c.
    The dp is -1.1c but that will rise above zero no doubt when the precip comes here.

Its up to 2.5°C here now and dp rising also -2.2°C. Hope the damn stuff arrives soon!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Longfield - what do you type to get the degrees symbol?

This band of muck will clear south just after midnight. I think it will be the early hours before snow turns up again in the North. Not impressed by the latest GFS run. We completely miss out tomorrow - but its not called the 'pub run' for nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

http://www.meteoalarm.eu/countryIE.asp?Country=IE&lang=EN&ShowDate=

Snow alert?!

snowfall "Snow showers expected over the next 36hours with some heavy snow in places"

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I am saving up for one of these for next year...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRHA9W-zExQ

Light snow now in Annamoe :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Drizzle here:( although with he temp at steady at 3.8C I wasn't expecting much more, dp rising rapidly as well now up to -0.8C
    EDIT: WC, are you still expecting things to kick off here around 6am or has that chance gone now?

Danno wrote: »
    Longfield - what do you type to get the degrees symbol?

Sorry missed your post in all the excitment

Hold down ALT then type 0176 and release ALT, then the ° symbol appears.

Nice swirly sneachta here now.

Temp 2.7°C with a DP of -1.8°C

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Raining now in Lusk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

Rain in Limerick

trogdor wrote: »
    Drizzle here:( although with he temp at steady at 3.8C I wasn't expecting much more, dp rising rapidly as well now up to -0.8C

Cold air hasnt arrived yet wouldnt be to disappointed yet - Another few hours we be in the Artic blast. This low pressure system has to move first taking its mild muck with it:cool:

• Advertisement

repr wrote: »

erm I dont think those charts accurately reflect the situation atm. If someone could confirm snow is falling in those areas shown there then please do but I dont think that is right.

P.S enjoy it longfield

Advertisement