Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Significant snow Thursday Night/Friday/Saturday

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,932 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

sun is out now. if it only had started snowing last night after midnight:( there could have been at least three or four inches of lying snow. still it was nice to see the heavy snow falling for several hours.

by the way is it's going to get cold again after this frontal system passes through on Sunday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

As I said already a few posts up, County Roscommon.

Oooh, anywhere near Lough Key? Wondering if it's worth driving out there to get some photos/fun time in the snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

About 15 miles away. Im more Castlerea direction. Might be worth it not giving any guarentees!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

Snowing really thickly now again. Great big white blobs, Looks like cotton wool falling from the sky. Temp is back up to 1.7c though. Falling snow looks deadly white against the black grey sky. Beautiful.

Paddy.1 wrote: »
    Snowing really thickly now again. Great big white blobs, Looks like cotton wool falling from the sky. Temp is back up to 1.7c though. Falling snow looks deadly white against the black grey sky. Beautiful.

take a picture please:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Templemore/Thurles/Nenagh area - nowt.

A light snow shower ar 8.00am Templemore area, thats about it.

Damp Suib everywhere, and the only depression I can see aint snow related :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Lots of clear sky coming up, cant see any more cloud over me for about an hour or so.

take a picture please:)
    would love to nacho, but I don't have a camara.:( except on my ****ty mobile which is crap. Snowflakes are less big now but still heavy. Temp falling again to 1.3c.

paddy 1, do you think the showers will keep going in the west and northwest for a lot of the night?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bold_defender

: 01/02/2008 14:31:22 *CONDITIONS* Driving conditions are treacherous in many areas and particularly poor in Co. Kerry on the N21 Abbeyfeale to Castleisland Rd and blizzard-like conditions reported in Castlebar, Co. Mayo. **MAIN TRAFFIC* *N55/LONGFORD* The main Edgeworthstown to Cavan road through Granard is blocked by a jack knifed truck. There is also a crash on the Granard to Coole road at Abbeylara. Road conditions are treacherous in the area due to snow. *WESTMEATH* Crookedwood village on the R394, main Castlepollard to Mullingar Rd, is impassable due to snow. Take an alternative route.

This from AA roadwatch, seems like there getting it heavy in westmeath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

: 01/02/2008 14:31:22 *CONDITIONS* Driving conditions are treacherous in many areas and particularly poor in Co. Kerry on the N21 Abbeyfeale to Castleisland Rd and blizzard-like conditions reported in Castlebar, Co. Mayo. **MAIN TRAFFIC* *N55/LONGFORD* The main Edgeworthstown to Cavan road through Granard is blocked by a jack knifed truck. There is also a crash on the Granard to Coole road at Abbeylara. Road conditions are treacherous in the area due to snow. *WESTMEATH* Crookedwood village on the R394, main Castlepollard to Mullingar Rd, is impassable due to snow. Take an alternative route.

This from AA roadwatch, seems like there getting it heavy in westmeath
    Ye, snow showers have been sat over them for a while now- i can see them out to my west and on the radar.

paddy 1, do you think the showers will keep going in the west and northwest for a lot of the night?

It is hard to tell, (please just call me paddy or patrick, paddy.1 I had to use because forum would not take my name:)) Looking at the radar:
    latest_radar.gif
    there seems to be a dying tendancy in the shower activity. They could well keep going along the coast into the early hours, but with an approaching ridge I reckon those of us inland will probably see less showers as the evening wheres on.

Wouldn't mind if I was wrong though.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Met E and UKMO radars show very different intensities. UKMO radar showing shower activity much heavier over the midlands.

I was getting hopeful as it appeared that the heavier stuff is edging very very slowly eastwards :) however I know that when darkness falls, shower activity will really start to evaporate especially with pressure rising. :mad:

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Met E and UKMO radars show very different intensities. UKMO radar showing shower activity much heavier over the midlands.

I was getting hopeful as it appeared that the heavier stuff is edging very very slowly eastwards :) however I know that when darkness falls, shower activity will really start to evaporate especially with pressure rising. :mad:

Does anybody know what is wrong with Met Eireann radar? Rainfall intensity always seems ok in the west and south west, but for the midlands, east and north, it always underplays it. in fact, from sligo to louth, nothing is hardly registered. It is annoying.

Paddy.1 wrote: »

It is hard to tell, (please just call me paddy or patrick, paddy.1 I had to use because forum would not take my name:)) Looking at the radar:
    latest_radar.gif
    there seems to be a dying tendancy in the shower activity. They could well keep going along the coast into the early hours, but with an approaching ridge I reckon those of us inland will probably see less showers as the evening wheres on.

Wouldn't mind if I was wrong though.

yeah, that's what i was afraid you'd say. ah well we had good run with all the heavy snow today. it's going to be bitterly cold tonight that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

well that was some morning in my location....continuous snow at some stages....no snow settling at sea level but areas above say 300 ft are covered.......current 1.8c with another shower starting......:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Snow showers are reaching the East coast now. I can see one to my North. Tonight there should be snow showers in the North and parts of the West where any snow will lie. Temperatures down to -5 or -6 in places tonight and frosty with Ice.

kerry1960 wrote: »
    well that was some morning in my location....continuous snow at some stages....no snow settling at sea level but areas above say 300 ft are covered.......current 1.8c with another shower starting......:)

how many inches of snow have accumulated would you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

darkman2 wrote: »
    Snow showers are reaching the East coast now. I can see one to my North. Tonight there should be snow showers in the North and parts of the West where any snow will lie. Temperatures down to -5 or -6 in places tonight and frosty with Ice.
    Doubt it darkman i reckon showers are dying out now very quickly
    Muck less ppn around even already as the ridge moves in killing off instability. That's it i reckon until maybe another chance Sunday afternoon
    Hope i'm wrong though:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Doubt it darkman i reckon showers are dying out now very quickly
    Muck less ppn around even already as the ridge moves in killing off instability. That's it i reckon until maybe another chance Sunday afternoon
    Hope i'm wrong though:D

Sleet shower reported at Dublin Airport on NOAA and another light shower has just passed to the south of me, so there is definietly more activity here than there has been all day, albeit, light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Snow shower in Waterford city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,673 ✭✭✭squonk

Can see the edge of that shower at the airport just to my south now. It's chilly and dry and suny here though. I'd say we shoudl just settle in and enjoy the deep frost at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Is there a likelihood of snow in the West on Sunday night? GFS has <-5 850hPa temps, <0 dp, <528 dam thickness and precipitation for there at midnight Sunday.

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    Is there a likelihood of snow in the West on Sunday night? GFS has <-5 850hPa temps, <0 dp, <528 dam thickness and precipitation for there at midnight Sunday.
    Yes a definate chance
    Who knows though as this cold spell was meant to close down the country
    Back 20years ago this would have been a normal cold day

Free of email notification now
    Thanks to those who let me know
    Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭bassy

very dark and cloudy here now in north kilkenny and a shower of wintry sleet falling as i type,turning to light snow fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Sleet shower reported at Dublin Airport on NOAA and another light shower has just passed to the south of me, so there is definietly more activity here than there has been all day, albeit, light.

Haven't seen any precipitation in Dublin city centre at all today.

still lightly falling snow here in north kilkenny.

Yes it's clear now that the showers are easing back
    Game over

• Advertisement

just stopped here now,sky seems to be clearing again.

Advertisement