Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Significant snow Thursday Night/Friday/Saturday

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

You make me want to puke my guts right up.

At least, I would if I wasn't emigrating here and will be putting snags on the BBQ and drinking out of stubbies this time next month ;)

A negative dew point over there is considered a life threatening medical condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,574 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Well, clearly my efforts at weather control have some way to go.

I have reached the conclusion that Dublin is beyond the reach of winter, probably due to the warmth of its people, I seem to remember (thirty years is too long a time).

Otherwise, consider yourselves lucky, if you saw snow, and you live in Ireland on top of it, or underneath it as the case may be.

I shall return, the business about the leftover pork served up as human food in that hotel in Westport is behind me now, as I say, thirty years is a long time, I've recovered, alright my bride didn't make it through the night, but so it goes.

I find it ironic that in June, 1978, it was just as hard to get the temperature to 7 degrees as it was yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Woke this morning to more snow than when I went to bed!

Trying to rain now. Snow line is about 200ft below.

Wind is now an easterly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Snow here this morning. :) But not a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

thawing bigtime +4.3 ...final photo 9.30am
    dsc01392tc1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Looks very nice kerry1960. Cool dog too :) Pardon the pun :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,480 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Lovely photo again Kerry1960.

Have some very ligt snow here right now which probalby will turn to rain soon. I wish it at least went out with some proper precip , an hour or so of decent snow isnt to much to ask eh?!!
    Lesson learnt, northerlies don't deliver here.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭arctictree

Yes, light snow here now but getting warmer - temp currently 2.9c. My DP is 3.2c!!

I think snow for the east needs a polar low, or a proper easterly. Its mad - so far this year, the south west, west, north west and north east have got the snow. We've just been unlucky!!

A

I thought that would be snow with ye alright,I can see the mistyness of it on the hills above me which is the snow falling.
    It's sleety rain here.
    air temp 3.4c
    dp 1.1c

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

indeed easterlys is the only thing that really works around here... most northerlys or northwesterlys are useless, tbh i never held out much hope for us seein snow out of this cold spell even before the tears even got started so I wasnt really dissapointed, just more amazed at hou the uk met in particular completely went overboard on the forecast and how cold it was gonna be. Unless we get another easterly blast this winter (not very likely imo) then this year the snow is over for me, the west and north stands a much higher chance of getting another northerly before the winters out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Gonzo wrote: »
    indeed easterlys is the only thing that really works around here... most northerlys or northwesterlys are useless, tbh i never held out much hope for us seein snow out of this cold spell even before the tears even got started so I wasnt really dissapointed, just more amazed at hou the uk met in particular completely went overboard on the forecast and how cold it was gonna be. Unless we get another easterly blast this winter (not very likely imo) then this year the snow is over for me, the west and north stands a much higher chance of getting another northerly before the winters out.

Yea we need a blaring easterly slightly north of east.

With sub -8c 850hpa temps......

Will it happen in the next 5 years??

Probably not hasnt happened in last 7 now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I'm disappointed that I saw no snow, after looking forward to it all week. Time to move house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Fozzy wrote: »
    I'm disappointed that I saw no snow, after looking forward to it all week. Time to move house

Me too, exceedingly so, but i was foolish, northerlies never deliver here.

When it gets to the crunch of it, we need a ENE wind for lying snow in Dublin ;)

the very last patch of snow has melted .......crushing really.......any of the donegal contingent in ballybofey......last gasp win well done......curr7.1c and lashing......last nites min -1.8.......

Just woke up this morning to 3 inches of snow.

WTF?

Result!

Looks like it may be thawing already though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

You have to LOL at that.

Shannon 2C with rain, obviously snow a little higher up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭tony1212

hey guys, its snowing really heavy here in limerick for the past hour, came out of nowhere, it was raining before that, but im happy:D

This is quite a cold front. Temps are falling 6-7C with as snow on the back end as per reports above. It looks as if this will spread across country

half the roads in kerry are flooded,all the hills are covered above 1000 ft,1.4c and dropping ,what the.........

Exactly my point, were we so full of gloom that we missed this one completely?

• Advertisement

This is interesting. I wonder if that cold air will still be cold when it reaches the east! Again - seems to be wrong time of day though...

A

kerry1960 wrote: »
    half the roads in kerry are flooded,all the hills are covered above 800 ft,1.4c and dropping ,what the.........

The valley below me was covered this morning, goes down to 200ft ASL, thaw now reached 600ft at a guess.

Very low temps in the west now:

http://www.nra.ie/RoadWeatherInfo/Map/data/htm/WeatherTable.htm

Killarney : 0.6c
    Abbeyfeale : 0.7c

A

Cork AP went from 8C at 8:30 to 1C at 9:30

10:00 Cork AP 1C and light rain.

Temp at Birr falling.

I think Longfield and Artictree will see snow, but will be rain at low levels.

Not sure I'd trust the NRA data, 8c difference between Abbeyfeale and Clonmel. Also unsure of a temp of 0.7 @ 9am, I would say its about 4 where I am - 1000ft ASL.

However, can see snow falling on Knockfeha.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭chilipepper

hey just got out of bed and and it's snowing heavy

ch750536 wrote: »
    Not sure I'd trust the NRA data, 8c difference between Abbeyfeale and Clonmel. Also unsure of a temp of 0.7 @ 9am, I would say its about 4 where I am - 1000ft ASL.

However, can see snow falling on Knockfeha.

I think figures are correct. 8C ahead of front, 0-2C behind

Mothman wrote: »
    10:00 Cork AP 1C and light rain.

Temp at Birr falling.

I think Longfield and Artictree will see snow, but will be rain at low levels.

Yes, hopefully this will deliver for us. This will cheer up Longfield immensely!

A

• Advertisement

arctictree wrote: »
    Yes, hopefully this will deliver for us. This will cheer up Longfield immensely!

A

We'd better get him up out of the leaba:D

I'll text him if he doesn't appear here soon.

Advertisement