Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Significant snow Thursday Night/Friday/Saturday

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bold_defender

squonk wrote: »
    Same here also. The ground stayed wet for a while but now it's blue skies, sun and rapidly ddrying ground. Seems to be cloud to my south though. Anyone getting snow around Swords, the Airport, Glasnevin, that general area?
    Had a shower here in Phibsboro, was a bit sleety that was 30 min ago, seemed to have a couple of showers further north, Glasnevin, drumcondra and further north. Only 2 minutes each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭arctictree

trogdor wrote: »
    Skies just cleared here, temp at 2.9C, dp stayed steady at 0.1C. The ground is soaked here but the hills just a few miles West have gone white

That shower just went to the North of me, missed me by a couple of miles I think! How close is that!

A

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Nice dusting of snow now on the Dublin Mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

just returned from a walk on the local windfarm (stacks mts 1000ft) .....horizontal blizzard and settling ....only lasted about 15 mins ....digital therm reading 0c

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

sleet/snow showers getting heavier more frequent....temp 2c

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

Apart from a few very distant Cb's, it is stark clear here with a crystal blue glare. What a disapointment. Too windy to even get a decent frost here tonight I imagine. Well, hopefully something better for here the next time around.
    Temp 3.4c. Pressure 996.9 mb and falling. It may as well be 1040mb for all the good the low pressure is doing in these here parts. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

31-JAN-2008 for 16:00

CASEMENT W 24 Gust 46 RECENT SNOW 2 82 0.6 995
    DUBLIN AIRPORT W 26 Gust 43 RECENT SNOW 3 79 0.4 995
    MULLINGAR(P) W 15 Gust 40 RECENT SNOW 2 85 0.1 995
    VALENTIA NW 26 Gust 41 RECENT SNOW 6 78 0.2 1005

Even snow in Valentia at 6C!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Still looking good for tomorrow afternoon on the 12Z GFS :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

A gap in the showers now but more prolonged stuff getting into the north

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,521 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Some very dark clouds passing over my area at the moment...nothing falling though.

EDIT: Spoke too soon, hail is falling at the moment!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

darkman2 wrote: »

Am liking the look of that! Tails right out into the north Atlantic - just hope it dosen't get too wound up into the storm centre.

Unfortunatley Malin Head station may have blown away! No report for 16.00 so don't know what's happening there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I dont like looking at the models in a nowcasting situation but i just did and it is very frustrating.

It looks like England is going get hammered with upto 20cm of snow tomorrow, central southern England, now i dont quite know how this is possible but it just seems like it actually is gonna happen!

Of course this is set to clip us and dump 5cms but still can it please just go abit further west?

Anyway it will probably be totally wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Am liking the look of that! Tails right out into the north Atlantic - just hope it dosen't get too wound up into the storm centre.

Unfortunatley Malin Head station may have blown away! No report for 16.00 so don't know what's happening there.

Unfortunately only rain!:

MALIN HEAD W 49 Gust 73 RAIN SHOWER 6 60 Trace 981

But i have little faith in the models at this stage as none have progged this front that is pushing into Northern Ireland now.

How far south will it get??

ukir_sat_200801311600.jpg

Looks to be weakening on the latest image. In any case I think there is a mild sector with it.

On radar it still looks intact.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

Looks to be forming a more organised front on the radar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

In shadow of mtns today, no showers to speak of.

trogdor wrote: »
    Skies just cleared here, temp at 2.9C, dp stayed steady at 0.1C. The ground is soaked here but the hills just a few miles West have gone white
    Indeed,Lugnaquilla is very white as is croghan :)

sub zero dp here now

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

That UKMO radar is so different to the met one. Nothing showing up on that in the north.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Looks to be forming a more organised front on the radar?
    That might clip dublin but not much.
    It should hit louth.

• Advertisement

Even if that made it right across the country chances are it would be rain or sleet

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn062.png

:/

Expect a rise in temperature and dp's over the next couple of hours.

What happened to the artic blast?
    Artic air my aunt sally when the most northerly part of the country reports 6c and rain.
    It's also raining in glasgow for heavens sake..!

darkman2 wrote: »
    Even if that made it right across the country chances are it would be rain or sleet

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn062.png

:/

Expect a rise in temperature and dp's over the next couple of hours.

Then a freeze, then despair and tears..... then the snow.

I remember the evening of February 26th very well, i had got my hope up for snow but as the day progressed the showers whisked by with a few short snow showers, then towards evening i watched the radar and saw some showers pushing in and they fell as RAIN.

I was distraught!! I went to bed disappointed and wth no hope.

I rolled over at 4am glanced out the window and there was 1 inch of snow on the ground!!! It snowed then for 15 more hours!!:D

A fek it, mindless ramping this.

I really think that from 6/9 am tomorrow that the east coast will be hit by heavy snow and winds gusting 60mph.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,673 ✭✭✭squonk

Are we starting to get in trouble here? Doesn't look good for tonight anyway. Is tomorrow looking dodgy now as well?

Doubt it tbh :(

What happened to the artic blast?
    Artic air my aunt sally when the most northerly part of the country reports 6c and rain.
    It's also raining in glasgow for heavens sake..!

Warm sector moving south with that front.

This shows it nicely, granted Malin Head is right in the wind!! Inland would be at 3/4c

gfs-6-6.png

During tomorrows snow - small but big differences, instead of 3/4c in the east, it will be 0/1/2c.

gfs-6-21-3h.png

And the bone chilling cold on Friday night/Saturday morn

http://91.121.94.83/modeles/gfs/run/gfs-6-33-3h.png?12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

lashing rain ere in donegal, snow, they seek it ere, they seek it there, those boardies seek it everywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,932 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Paddy.1 wrote: »
    Apart from a few very distant Cb's, it is stark clear here with a crystal blue glare. What a disapointment. Too windy to even get a decent frost here tonight I imagine. Well, hopefully something better for here the next time around.
    Temp 3.4c. Pressure 996.9 mb and falling. It may as well be 1040mb for all the good the low pressure is doing in these here parts. :(

yeah, it's clear here too.
    once the showers get going between 6 and nine am tomorrow morning snow will accumlate in the west, so there maybe a decent covering tomorrow morning.

but the way it is now i can't see much snow for us tonight(bar the odd passing shower)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,932 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

shiibata wrote: »
    lashing rain ere in donegal, snow, they seek it ere, they seek it there, those boardies seek it everywhere

In this hour of bitter disappointment that made me laugh:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

Some forecasters you guys are omg your always so wrong about the weather.....................

Advertisement