Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT'ed today

Options
  • 29-01-2008 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

Just back from the VRT office and got a nice bill of almost 10k! The woman says "do you realise how much this is going to be?" I say yes and she says "good - I thought I was going to give you a heart attack".

Do these people not realise that in most cases even with the juicy VRT bill you still save a fair bit of money and usually finish up with a far superior vehicle, a lot of the UK vehicles come this things as standard which are extras over here and I believe vehicles in general are much better looked after in the UK than here in Ireland - whens the last time you seen an Irish person wash their own car or check their own car for oil - present company excepted!!

Anyway, all's VRT'd and legal now, off to put on me new plates!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

What did you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

HotRodDub wrote: »
    whens the last time you seen an Irish person wash their own car or check their own car for oil

been telling my brother for 2 weeks to check the oil in his car and he still hasnt done it! :rolleyes:

draffodx wrote: »
    been telling my brother for 2 weeks to check the oil in his car and he still hasnt done it! :rolleyes:

My sister is the same, i have warned here time and again to get her clutch replaced, change her oil and get a new set of tyres but she seems adamant to wait until the car explodes under her.. like at the end of the blues brothers... ;)

My car is 10 years old and it looks and drives like it rolled out of the show room..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭HotRodDub

Orange69 wrote: »
    What did you get?

Brought in a 03 Land cruiser 3.0 D4D LC3, 67k miles, immaculate condition and all the bells and whistles, got it in the North, everything including VRT came in at 28k euro.

You wouldn't get much down here for 28k.

Orange69 wrote: »
    My car is 10 years old and it looks and drives like it rolled out of the show room..

Same here, I've 1999 A4 and its in perfect nick. Keep at your brother/sister, my wife is now a convert, well able to keep a good eye on the car! - I still have to do the washing of it though - but I enjoy it!!

Suppose this isn't the place to try and move my A4 on is it???

• Advertisement

Suppose this isn't the place to try and move my A4 on is it???

Stick it up on carzone.ie and adverts.ie and then put the links in your sig..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

out of curiousity what VRT office did you visit and did they come out ot look at the car? as im gonig to be VRTing my new toy in a few days time :D

tossy wrote: »
    out of curiousity what VRT office did you visit and did they come out ot look at the car? as im gonig to be VRTing my new toy in a few days time :D

Went to the VRO in Tullamore - second time I've dealt with them and they didnt check the car, probably happy to see the receipt for the motor on Saturday and VRTing it today! What did you buy?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Brought in a 03 Land cruiser 3.0 D4D LC3, 67k miles, immaculate condition and all the bells and whistles, got it in the North, everything including VRT came in at 28k euro.

You wouldn't get much down here for 28k.

thats a cracking deal Hotrod.........i was looking at one for €32k here..........well done and may you wear it well:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Anyway, all's VRT'd and legal now, off to put on me new plates!!
    i'm not sure if my brain would let me pay 10k for a set of number plates, especially when the taosaich doesn't worry himself with paying taxes. :D

• Advertisement

vibe666 wrote: »
    i'm not sure if my brain would let me pay 10k for a set of number plates, especially when the taosaich doesn't worry himself with paying taxes. :D

Thats what a few people have said to me already but they don't seem to realise they've all done the same thing indirectly by buying a car in the south in the first place.

Anyways I've saved a fair few grand and I'm happy all is legit!! I've driven around with yellow plates before but I like everything to be above board when especially where a young family is concerned.

Scheming and dodging VRT/etc/etc is all good and well until something goes wrong.

I'm actually going to be importing a car from the UK next weekend, and I was half thinking about just dodging the VRT, but despite the outright criminality of charging such ludicrous amounts of money to register a vehicle here I'm going to do everything legit, just because I'm the sort of person that this sort of thing happens to (i.e. if it can, it will go wrong) and I don'#t want to take the risk.

I'll just think of it as paying protection money to a bunch of gangsters to keep my car from being stolen. Actually, now that I think about it, that's exactly what I am doing!

Seriously though, there's a lot of talk about the illegality of VRT when we're supposed to be part of Europe and all the open border stuff, but how come nobody is taking the government to the European court over it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

tossy wrote: »

Tallaght VRO came out and checked my Car (04 Phaeton). Sent the extras list to Rosslare and came back looking for an extra EUR800 on top of the existing charge. Not as bad as it could have been. :rolleyes:

On paper (ie their OMSP) the car is worth EUR16k more than the UK price including the VRT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 milanac

Hi

Hope to change my car in the next month or so and lookin in the UK..
    Any advice buying abroad.. someone mentioned that they were charged 800 quid more vrt..is the revenue website accurate??
    Main issue would be no comeback if arse falls out of the car even though it looks like the cars are better looked after than in Eire.

smell ya later

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'm actually going to be importing a car from the UK next weekend, and I was half thinking about just dodging the VRT, but despite the outright criminality of charging such ludicrous amounts of money to register a vehicle here I'm going to do everything legit, just because I'm the sort of person that this sort of thing happens to (i.e. if it can, it will go wrong) and I don'#t want to take the risk.

I'll just think of it as paying protection money to a bunch of gangsters to keep my car from being stolen. Actually, now that I think about it, that's exactly what I am doing!

Seriously though, there's a lot of talk about the illegality of VRT when we're supposed to be part of Europe and all the open border stuff, but how come nobody is taking the government to the European court over it?
    Because, AFAIK, it's not illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Anan1 wrote: »

VRT is a registration tax and not an impotr duty. But we all know that is an Import Duty.

Registration Tax in the UK is also based on Co2 but your taking a couple of hundred quid.

My car has 116k miles now and it running well. Fresh oil is the secret and gets topped up every 5k miles and changed on the 10k mile mark.

kluivert wrote: »
    VRT is a registration tax and not an impotr duty. But we all know that is an Import Duty.

Registration Tax in the UK is also based on Co2 but your taking a couple of hundred quid.

My car has 116k miles now and it running well. Fresh oil is the secret and gets topped up every 5k miles and changed on the 10k mile mark.
    ??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Tallaght VRO came out and checked my Car (04 Phaeton). .

/drools
    :o

Anan1 wrote: »
    if I gave you a dog turd and told you it was a nice tasty apple would you eat it?

What they call it doesn't change what it really is, and someone needs to do something about it.

unfortunately it's not going to be me because I'm a spineless windbag who likes making trouble on the internet, but when it comes to it I'm far too lazy (and spineless) to do anything about it. :D

The car I'm going to be bringing into the country next weekend is a 1996 Pajero and the VRT on it is still going to be 2200e which is very nearly exactly half what I paid for it (4500e).

I could (apparently) register it in just about any other country in the EU and it would be hard to find anywhere that would cost more than a couple of hundred quid afaik, and if it costs that to register it in any other EU country then why doesn't it cost a similar amount here?

why not? because it's an illegal import duty, that's why and yet again the rights of the Irish population are trampled on by the government and their (very) crooked leader and nobody does anything to stop it.

I'd love to, but I'm just a long term tourist stealing one of your women. ;)

Actually, talking of which. What about if I didn't buy it, but my dad (who is a full time UK resident) lent it to me for an extended period and I drove it here without registering it (as an extended tourist)? Would that be illegal?

I could (apparently) register it in just about any other country in the EU and it would be hard to find anywhere that would cost more than a couple of hundred quid afaik, and if it costs that to register it in any other EU country then why doesn't it cost a similar amount here?
    Because apparently isn't actually.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Nothing stopping him registering it in another EU country, he just needs to prove he lives and works there! Also, his point about paying VRT is like paying a bunch of gangsters protection to stop stealing your car, its true! Otherwise Bertie will have the revenue outside hauling away your new motor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Just my story, went to leeds and bought a 03 gttdi with leather. 2 reasons, first is you do well to find one in this country and secound it wouldnt have been treated as well
    Said if i got as far as january i'd clear it, but now i wanna wait til july... think i could be pushing my luck. The way i see it is 3600 and you have to go away and buy the fcuking plates after that.
    Apparently it is illegal and the eu know about it, but the fine they get get is no where near the revenue the pull in on it...
    Ps you can register with whoever in uk but they have to prove the owned it, insured and taxed it for 6 months and its a once only deal, n you cant sell it for a year after

here's an idea, what about these guys.

http://www.offshoreinfo.com/vanuatu_car.htm

they also do a second passport too, so you could have the whole package. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

here's an idea, what about these guys.

http://www.offshoreinfo.com/vanuatu_car.htm

they also do a second passport too, so you could have the whole package. :)

Good site, but as far as i'm aware since mid 2006, revenue have brought in a law making it illegal for an irish resident to drive a foreign registered car.Its on the revenue website, saw it recently.

alo1587 wrote: »
    Good site, but as far as i'm aware since mid 2006, revenue have brought in a law making it illegal for an irish resident to drive a foreign registered car.Its on the revenue website, saw it recently.
    now that REALLY doesn't sound like it could be legal for them to do that. seriously, someone with a handle on the law and a heap of cash needs to do something about it before Ireland turns into America and nobody has any freedom at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

i would say with the euro/sterling rate as it is now its quite tempting to buy in the UK?

If you want to avoid vrt, just buy an eastern european reged car, ok left hand drive, but you wont be challenged by customs.

snaps wrote: »
    If you want to avoid vrt, just buy an eastern european reged car, ok left hand drive, but you wont be challenged by customs.
    How do you figure this?

Customs here in Galway only target UK reg cars as they are easy targets, I know Polish, Lithuanian, Latvian who are stopped regulary and nothing ever happens. I know 3 czech people who have been driving here for 6 years on czech plates. Never been followed up after they have been stopped.

Its sickening as they have no insurance, tax. But thats the way it is. Ive written lots of posts about this, Ive reported them to the VRT, but nothing is ever done. Ive even given the VRT offices their home address and work address but nothing is followed up. Infact i have just seen one of them drive off to work as per normal.

there are lithuanian, latvian and polishreg's in my street that hav ebeen here as long as I have (2 years) without changing their plates.

the government and it's agents just love to show off how corrupt they really are by picking on soft targets.

• Advertisement

Its even more of a joke when you actually report them (I did because they were boasting about not having to tax or insure their cars) and still nothing happens, I reported 1 guy over 5 times in the space of a year, I sent in addresses, photo's and nothing ever happened. The VRT office even said they had given your mans details to the field officers.

A polish guy that works for me, says "I just give any old address if i get stopped by the Gardai or customs" Their cars are not registered in Ireland so there is no way of the authorities tracing them.

Advertisement