Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Robbie keane

• 29-01-2008 4:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

what do the rest of youz think about robbie? i know his form hasnt been up to scratch really with ireland but in fairness i think he is notoriously under rated in the premiership.has been banging the goals in for the last couple of seassons and been very consistent yet hardly gets any recognition yet they rave on about berbatov (pure class i know) but strikers are judged on the amount of goals they score and imo robbie is a class player. said this to a couple of my mates and they all think hes sh/t!!:rolleyes:

robbie keane 80 votes

class player who is under rated
    0% 0 votes
    average
    67% 54 votes
    pure gick!
    28% 23 votes
    hes no berbatov
    3% 3 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭cm2000

great player, you could see it since he was at wolves and coventry. he hit the highs too fast and didnt regain form until he got to spurs but since he started playing regularly he has been one of the best forwards in the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Pure gick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

DesF wrote: »
    Pure gick.

I'll just take the time out to note that Des is wrong. Carry on.

Meh, I just liked the phrase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

wheres the "why cant he play that well for ireland" option????

i think he's a good striker, not world class but given the right service he's clinical.

• Advertisement

He certainly isn't World Class TM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

possibly the best striker this country has ever produced, needs better players around him then what he has at ireland, this is why he isnt as good for ireland, this is also why hes not world class, but a very very good striker, reminds me a lot of teddy sheringham actually.......not in a bad way

kryogen wrote: »
    possibly the best striker this country has ever produced,
    Stapleton tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Have to say I'm a fan. Reliable goalscorer, would be in high demand at most Premiership clubs. Good enuff for Top 4? Just about, IMHO.

His brother who plays for Ireland is useless, but so are oireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

prendy wrote: »
    wheres the "why cant he play that well for ireland" option????

i think he's a good striker, not world class but given the right service he's clinical.

Cause for the last few years he's beeen made drop back towards midfield to pick up the ball....and he's pure gick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

hes no berbatov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Im definetly a fan, he is a very good striker but not world class. I say the reason he sucks for Ireland is because he doesnt have as good of a strike partner and he doesnt get the service that he gets with spurs.
    Yeah i would say he is a little bit under-rated just because he doesnt score spectactular goals but he is pretty damn consistent for Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Good player in the prem... I think he's the 3rd top scorer at the mo...

Something wrong internationally.. Could have something up with him and stan - but he was captian so that doesn't make sense... He just seems lazy and un motivated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I think he's the opposite of lazy for Ireland - he tracks back chasing the ball far too much (bad management from Stan or bad coaching over the years? or both?) thinking he has to carry the team..

Needs to stay up top just scoring goals.

Unearthly wrote: »
    hes no berbatov

Before ticking this option have a quick check to see who has scored more goals for spurs during Berbatov's time at the club.

Hint: it may not be Berbatov.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭green123

Savman wrote: »
    Good enuff for Top 4?

no , not good enough.
    if he was , he would be there

yeah its a debateable point des, if you are talking about scoring records then keane will win pretty easily!

so far in his career and still only 27, he has 125 club goals and 32 irish goals, he has been capped more times then stapleton..... he has made 78 irish appearances and 338 club appearances so 125/338 and 32/78......

compare it to stapletons records

he scored 151 club goals in 618 games and 20 irish goals in 71 appearnaces

so robbie is obviously more prolific

how would you compare them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

would love him at liverpool tbh instead of any of our strikers (apart from torres)

he's a bit like the anti David Healy isn't he :p

green123 wrote: »
    no , not good enough.
    If not for some bogey lasagne, he would've been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

why is there no option between avergare and class? That's where i would put him. For the right price he would do a job for most teams in the premier league including the top 4.

• Advertisement

no , not good enough.

That's quite ridiculous:

- So there is no player currently playing outside of the big four that would be good enough for the big four?

OR

- There is currently no player at the big four who isn't good enough to be there?

Keane, just like Berbatov - would be an active member of the first team squad for Arsenal and Man Utd; and would start at Liverpool. Chelsea have Drogba, Anelka and Pizzaro and play one up front as default so he probably would get the least amount of opportunites there.

how would you compare them?
    Stats, schmats tbh, especially comparing different eras of european football.

Robbie only seems to score against "weaker" nations, who didn't even exist in Stapo's day, or in friendlies.

Stapo played for ManYoo and Arsenal.

Robbie has played for Wolves, Inter, Coventry, Leeds and Spurs, and has only really made an impact in the 1st Div with Wolves, and in the Premier League with a generally ailing Spurs side, who don't live up to their potential or hype, much like Robbie actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

Never been a big fan of his but 100 goals for Spurs speaks for itself. Good to see him finally settle down at a club after all his meanderings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

For Ireland he comes back into midfield to help out the midfielders too much, then win Ireland win the ball back they can't aim for him because he hasn't gotten back up front quick enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Im definetly a fan, he is a very good striker but not world class. I say the reason he sucks for Ireland is because he doesnt have as good of a strike partner and he doesnt get the service that he gets with spurs.

Pfft. He receives plenty of passes on international duty. Fluffs every one of them.

I remember the Denmark match the bookie had some mad offer like 20/1 for Robbie to score the only goal in a 1-0 victory. Now, I barely ever gamble, the chances of an away victory for Ireland these days can be low enough, never mind Keane scoring it. But for such a return it seemed worth risking a tenner, so ya can imagine my elation when his first went in.

Typical of my luck that he scores twice and two other goals by others :eek::D

In the prem, hes good. No Torres or Gerrard but good enough. Think most teams bar Chelsea, Man U and Arsenal would chase him if he was available and they had the funds. But he really needs to be rested for Ireland, this whole captain always plays rule is the most childish aspect of football tbh.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Before ticking this option have a quick check to see who has scored more goals for spurs during Berbatov's time at the club.

Hint: it may not be Berbatov.

Great another simpleton who only judges players through certain stats

I'm no Statto, but surely a Striker's goalscoring ratio is a fairly important statistic?

I'm no Statto, but surely a Striker's goalscoring ratio is a fairly important statistic?

Of course

but there are lots of other factors to take into account, a lot of which aren't measured by stats

Is Benjani the 3rd best striker in the premiership?

THE most important for a striker imo.

But not just in terms of numbers, it also counts who he is scoring against.

I mean, if strikers are playing teams that my granny would get goals against, then it's hardly indicitive of massive skillz is it?

• Advertisement

Robbie only seems to score against "weaker" nations, who didn't even exist in Stapo's day, or in friendlies.

Competative:

Yugoslavia
    Turkey (playoff)
    Iran (playoff)
    Germany
    Spain

Friendly:

Czech Republic
    Holland
    Russia
    Croatia
    Sweden

Yeah Des. He doesn't contribute in the key games or against decent teams.

THE most important for a striker imo.
    Good. So long as you remember that when I come back from hols :D:D

des for you to say stats schmatz and the a few posts later say stats are the most important thing is pretty funny

you can only beat whats in front of you, stapleton scored 75 league goals for arsenal in 225 appearances and he scored 60 in 223 for united....not exactly prolific was it

keane has scored 76 league goals for spurs so far in 182 games,

stapleton couldnt outscore him in what you say were better teams at the time

Ah yeah, your right. I guess I'm a simpelton and not a real football fan because I don't like to generalise and judge players on the basis of how many ridiculous transfer deals they are linked to in the tabloids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Stapo played for ManYoo and Arsenal.

Those were big clubs in the shadows of Liverpool,Everton and the likes during his career

Trilla wrote: »
    Those were big clubs in the shadows of Liverpool,Everton and the likes during his career

DING DING DING

• Advertisement

Competative:

Yugoslavia
    Turkey (playoff)
    Iran (playoff)
    Germany
    Spain

Friendly:

Czech Republic
    Holland
    Russia
    Croatia
    Sweden

Yeah Des. He doesn't contribute in the key games or against decent teams.
    http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/robkeane-intlg.html
    Types of           Matches    Goals

Friendlies      	29       12
    World Cup Qualifier	18        6
    World Cup                4        3
    European Ch. Qual.	24       11
    Other Tournaments	 3        0

Total caps:             78       32

Twelve goals in Friendlies.

I can't make out from that full table in the linked page who he scored the Qualification goals against.

Ah yeah, your right. I guess I'm a simpelton and not a real football fan because I don't like to generalise and judge players on the basis of how many ridiculous transfer deals they are linked to in the tabloids.

No

Call me old fashioned, but I like to judge players by watching them and not spending my time looking at some opta index website

des for you to say stats schmatz and the a few posts later say stats are the most important thing is pretty funny
    In different eras of football, I was referring to.

Read my full posts people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

I think Robbie is decent enough. Not world class but his record is very good.

He would do very well at liverpool and possibly Arsenal. He'd be on the bench for Utd and Chelsea. I do think he is good enough to play regularly and score for a top four team. As a United fan I'd swap saha for him noany day of the week but he would certainly be behind Rooney and Tevez. He would play in the wing positions for Chelsea as he is too slight for their style of centre forward.

No

Call me old fashioned, but I like to judge players by watching them and not spending my time looking at some opta index website

Yeah I watch both Keane and Berbatov. And as a Liverpool fan, I'd be delighted if we signed Keane up tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Yeah I watch both Keane and Berbatov. And as a Liverpool fan, I'd be delighted if we signed Keane up tomorrow.

Well I like Robbie Keane, just rate Berbatov higher.

I can't make out from that full table in the linked page who he scored the Qualification goals against.

So he scores a goal every 2.3 games in competative games at international level.

Stapleton scored 20 goals in his International career. I can't find any info on how those broke down between friendly and international matches. A very quick look told me that he opened his career with two goals in his debut against Turkey in a friendly (they would have been hapless at the time) and some of his international scoring contributions include goals against world powers such as Cyprus, Luxembourg (competative) and Malta (friendly).

On a more general level stats are fundamentally important when analysing sports. If it's american football and you are assessing the performance of a running back total yards and yards per carry are the benchmark. You can watch players and see a back make more impressive individual runs or seem more agile, pacy, etc, etc. But the bottom line is what counts - and the player with the most yards deservedly gets the plaudits.

Was RVN pretty to watch when he was at Utd? Not really. He just banged them in. And that's all that matters for a striker really.

In any case, Keane is a talented player on the ball; passes well; moves well; works hard. All that is fine - but he scores goals at the top level with regularity. That is his value (eventhough he has games under his belt at spurs on the right or the left).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Pure gick.
    Meh, I just liked the phrase.
    He certainly isn't World Class TM
    Stapleton tbh

Where did it all go wrong Des!? You used to make some good posts with insight and opinion, not stuff like this that I'd expect of a 14 year old (minus the Stapleton reference).
    no , not good enough.

Complete and utter BS. Althought measuring a player as a "Top 4 Player" in itself is a totally pointless yardstick. Maybe if you were to say he's one of the ten best strikers in the league or something similar it would be worth commenting on. But judging a player by whether he would be good enough to be signed by Chelsea, Arsenal, United or Liverpool isn't the way to go.

Thats not true, though the amount of times I've heard it said is mind-boggling. He does score against weaker nations, but some of his best moments have been against Germany and Spain (albeit from the spot) in the '02 World Cup, and on two seperate occasions in the Amsterdam Arena against the Dutch. He got a standing ovation on his debut at home in the defeat to Argentina as well, although he didn't score on that particular night. I think he is without doubt the countries greatest goalscorer. He broke the goalscoring record at age TWENTY FOUR, and will probably go on to double it, and reach 100 caps.
    Robbie has played for Wolves, Inter, Coventry, Leeds and Spurs, and has only really made an impact in the 1st Div with Wolves, and in the Premier League with a generally ailing Spurs side, who don't live up to their potential or hype, much like Robbie actually.

What does the guy have to do to live up to the "hype"??? Score 50 goals for Ireland? Only score against the big countries? Score 50 goals for Ireland, only against the big countries?

Only in Ireland can we complain about a striker who shatters our national goal-scoring record, and say that the people he surpassed were better than him.

This country should never have left the 80's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Where did it all go wrong Des!? You used to make some good posts with insight and opinion, not stuff like this that I'd expect of a 14 year old (minus the Stapleton reference).

Complete and utter BS. Althought measuring a player as a "Top 4 Player" in itself is a totally pointless yardstick. Maybe if you were to say he's one of the ten best strikers in the league or something similar it would be worth commenting on. But judging a player by whether he would be good enough to be signed by Chelsea, Arsenal, United or Liverpool isn't the way to go.

Thats not true, though the amount of times I've heard it said is mind-boggling. He does score against weaker nations, but some of his best moments have been against Germany and Spain (albeit from the spot) in the '02 World Cup, and on two seperate occasions in the Amsterdam Arena against the Dutch. He got a standing ovation on his debut at home in the defeat to Argentina as well, although he didn't score on that particular night. I think he is without doubt the countries greatest goalscorer. He broke the goalscoring record at age TWENTY FOUR, and will probably go on to double it, and reach 100 caps.

What does the guy have to do to live up to the "hype"??? Score 50 goals for Ireland? Only score against the big countries? Score 50 goals for Ireland, only against the big countries?

Only in Ireland can we complain about a striker who shatters our national goal-scoring record, and say that the people he surpassed were better than him.

This country should never have left the 80's.
    Was gonna go on a rant about how wrong Des was but coincidentally the rant was the exact same(down to the 3 question marks after "hype") as Joe's so i'll just copy his message.

Well said Joe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

The poll options could be better. I think he's a very good player who's rated as a very good player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Klose
    Friendlies 34 17
    World Cup 14 10
    European Ch. Qual. 17 7
    World Cup Qualifier 5 2
    European Championship 2 0

Ronaldinho
    Friendlies 32 14
    World Cup Qualifiers 21 5
    World Cup 10 2
    Confederations Cup 13 9
    Copa America 4 1
    Other Tournaments 2 1

Zidane
    Friendlies 11 51
    European Champ. Qual. 6 19
    European Championship 5 14
    World Cup 5 12
    World Cup Qualifier 1 4
    Other Tournaments 3 8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

i think that the fact alot of people dont rate robbie keane is down to somewhat irish begrudgery,in other countries people strive to be like so callled "successful people" but in ireland most people just look at people who may be in a better situation or living a life they would prefere and just slag off or turn there noses up at these people.robbie keane is without shaddow of a doubt irelands best striker hence why he is top goalscorer even though he has taken a dip in form over the last few years the facts speak for themselves,he plays better with better players and a manager who can motivate a player of his quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I despise Robbie Keane for his general play. Too many step overs, dummies and all that fancy b*llox is the reason he is not a 'Top 4' striker.

Now having said that he does know where the goal is and fair play to him for banging them in this season. He is Ireland's best striker but as we have little of no one so it's not exactly something to be immensely proud of.

He has underperformed in many big games for us when needed (a few as captain might I add) and has been a constant source of my frustration over the years. So for me he's average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I despise Robbie Keane for his general play. Too many step overs, dummies and all that fancy b*llox is the reason he is not a 'Top 4' striker.

Now having said that he does know where the goal is and fair play to him for banging them in this season. He is Ireland's best striker but as we have little of no one so it's not exactly something to be immensely proud of.

He has underperformed in many big games for us when needed (a few as captain might I add) and has been a constant source of my frustration over the years. So for me he's average.

i would have agreed with you but the last 2 seasons i think robbie keane has cut out all that step over bollox and has really matured as a player eg he squared the ball to lennon when he could have had a shot againstarsenal in the carling cup ,i do believe he could cut it defo in the top four more clinical then kuyt,tevez,rooney,shevshenko,kalou,saha (ok he doesnt get his game much) just the fact is hes not english and hes not brazilian so they dont rate him in england

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

scruff321 wrote: »
    just the fact is hes not english and hes not brazilian so they dont rate him in england

So Berbatov, Adebayor, Torres aren't rated either by that definition

• Advertisement
Advertisement