Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Robbie keane

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

ok fair enough i was just using the fact that hes irish and not from the continent or south american etc as an example i mean the english press dont shut up about the likes of rooney and tevez aswell as other players who arent performing as well as robbie, the last 2 years keane has really uped his game at club level developed a partnership with berbatov whish is probably the best in england.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Des how are you such an aficionado on how good Stapleton is/was? He was pretty much finished as a top-player by 1990 so I doubt you saw much of him in his prime?

Keane is a class act. He's proven that he can deliver the goods at any club that'll give him a chance. I think people see him acting the maggot on the pitch and it's all they take away from the experience. He's got natural skill and a phenomonal strike rate considering the teams he plays for (Ireland/Spurs.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Top scorer in the last calendar year.
    Check out the last games of the season here.

Yep, he must be Rubbish alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Blackjack wrote: »
    Top scorer in the last calendar year.
    Check out the last games of the season here.

Yep, he must be Rubbish alright.

I don't think anyone is really questioning his goals. The facts speak for themselves.

However, he is a deeply frustrating player to watch in general play with his tricks and flicks that rarely come off. That is why he is not one of the top strikers in the game.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is really questioning his goals. The facts speak for themselves.

However, he is a deeply frustrating player to watch in general play with his tricks and flicks that rarely come off. That is why he is not one of the top strikers in the game.
    He's also been in the top 10 Premiership goalscorers for the last 2 seasons, and will likely end up there this year as well.

With that record, how can you say he's not one of the top strikers?. Just because he's not a flair player, you can hardly write him off for that. His Job is to score goals. He does.

Blackjack wrote: »
    He's also been in the top 10 Premiership goalscorers for the last 2 seasons, and will likely end up there this year as well.

With that record, how can you say he's not one of the top strikers?. Just because he's not a flair player, you can hardly write him off for that. His Job is to score goals. He does.

I already said he's a good goalscorer so I don't anymore facts on that thanks.

You're right, he's not a flair player, yet he tries his utmost to be one when there's no need. That is why he is frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

great player. great goalscorer. great heart. great presence.

great player. great goalscorer. great heart. great presence.

Sounds like you're talking about two different players in that comment. He hasn't shown much heart or presence for Ireland in a long time, more so since he was made captain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Have you lost money on bets involving keane Xavi?? You seem easily frustrated by Keane.

Does duff not frustrate you as much? Does Doyle? Does Reid? etc etc 'cause they all play as bad if not worse than him at times for Ireland.

He is a top drawer player. simple as. The stats say it and I believe his general play does too. I don't think spurs are the same without him and clearly ramos doesn't think so either. He seems happy enough to let defoe go and rely on keano as berb's foil.

Arguing that he doesn't score against the top nations is a non argument imo. If you regard the top teams as say the top 10, then since 2000 Keane has played in 16 games scoring 6, In no way a bad return for international level. But in anyway, if these smaller teams are so easy to score against why doesnt the rest of the team have as high a goal tally. so I'm sorry I don't buy that argument.

About the top 4 argument. I personally believe he should be in one of them. I can't believe for a second anyone would rate voronin or kuyt ahead of him for starters. But remember this, Spurs were very close to breaking that top 4 not that long ago. Ok they've had a blip this year but if they had of cracked the top 4, would that argument still apply or would he magicly have gained the top class player status he seems to be denied by some.

Also, maybe he wants to stay at spurs. He was labelled a wanderer when he went from club to club. Then he settles and we want him to move again.

He is also vice-captain for spurs and captain( though maybe not much longer) of Ireland. He MUST have something going in the leadership department. Whatever about staunton being a donkey, I don't think either Jol or Ramos are and they are convinced by him.

I think its sad that we are almost worse than the english now at jumping on our top players (albeit we dont have as many).

I think it's safe to assume I voted he is class and underrated :p

• Advertisement

Well in response to that, I will again say I have never once questioned his goals and he is Ireland's best striker of all time.

He is NOT a leader, whether it be club or country. Watch Keane closely when he plays. He tries to do little flicks instead of getting the ball tight to his feet and playing simply. You say I'm easily fristrated. If he did that sort of sh1te in one or two games then yes I'd have no cause for complaint. But he has done it all through his career, right back to the game he scored the winner for Wolves against City. He scores goals but his general play prevents him from falling into the 'world class' category for me.

To say I am wrong for something I have seen him do for years now is b*llox

P.S. And no I haven't lost any money on him. I know better than to bet on anything that involves Ireland.

P.S. And no I haven't lost any money on him. I know better than to bet on anything that involves Ireland.

Touche!.

I would argue that he's all tricks and flicks though!. I think his play this season for example has been excellent. He does play a lot of simple passes and does bring others into the game.

Yes I'd agree that earlier in his career that might have been the case but thats just the nature of learning the game. I mean Ronaldo was the biggest example of this, he learned and is now considered the best in the world by some.
    Im not comparing the two, just stating that Keane has improved and changed as a player and as such deserves recognition on what he is doing now.

Mad_Max wrote: »
    just stating that Keane has improved and changed as a player and as such deserves recognition on what he is doing now.

But he is getting recognition. Everyone is lavishing him with praise. There is a big difference being simple recognition and going over the top though. He's a good striker, not a world class one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I despise Robbie Keane for his general play. Too many step overs, dummies and all that fancy b*llox is the reason he is not a 'Top 4' striker.

Now having said that he does know where the goal is and fair play to him for banging them in this season. He is Ireland's best striker but as we have little of no one so it's not exactly something to be immensely proud of.

He has underperformed in many big games for us when needed (a few as captain might I add) and has been a constant source of my frustration over the years. So for me he's average.

!!?? He's also done it for Ireland in a lot of big games too!!??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

xavi you keep on refering to his attempte at tricks and flicks but if you have been watching keane regularly at spurs like i have you would see that he has cut that sh/t out of his game over the past 2 or 3 seasons..he plays simple passes,shoots when the time arises but also makes the righ decision to pass instead,and he has also trimmed down alot in wieght making him faster and a more complete player..if he hadnt ahd that few year blip in his club career hed be playing for a top side in europe.also imo hed bag alot of goals on any top 4 side if he was givin the chance.

scruff321 wrote: »
    xavi you keep on refering to his attempte at tricks and flicks but if you have been watching keane regularly at spurs like i have you would see that he has cut that sh/t out of his game over the past 2 or 3 seasons..he plays simple passes,shoots when the time arises but also makes the righ decision to pass instead,and he has also trimmed down alot in wieght making him faster and a more complete player..if he hadnt ahd that few year blip in his club career hed be playing for a top side in europe.also imo hed bag alot of goals on any top 4 side if he was givin the chance.

If he can cut it out for Spurs then why hasn't he done it for Ireland?

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    !!?? He's also done it for Ireland in a lot of big games too!!??

Off the top of my head the Germany game in 2002 is the only big game that springs to mind. I'm sure I'll be inundated with claims of other games he's done it in but right now that's all I can recall, unless you want to include friendlies.

If he can cut it out for Spurs then why hasn't he done it for Ireland?

So the nub of your enitre keane argument is why isnt he doing it for ireland.

Is it only him that hasn't performed during the last campaign. NO, no-one did.
    What exactly has he to do? Score more? Hes the leading scorer. Assist more maybe? sure he might aswel jump in goal and keep some clean sheets.

Using his performances in a below par internation team as a measure of HIS ability is not accurate or fair.

So the nub of your enitre keane argument is why isnt he doing it for ireland.

What exactly has he to do? Score more? Hes the leading scorer. Assist more maybe? sure he might aswel jump in goal and keep some clean sheets.

Using his performances in a below par internation team as a measure of HIS ability is not accurate or fair.

I understand what you're saying and yes he is playing in a limited team BUT as captain his role is to lead by example and encourage his team. He went missing during many of the qualifiers and didn't step up to the plate when needed.

Look he is a good player, he does score goals but he is not a world class striker imo based on his all round game no matter how well he is playing at the moment.

Off the top of my head the Germany game in 2002 is the only big game that springs to mind. I'm sure I'll be inundated with claims of other games he's done it in but right now that's all I can recall, unless you want to include friendlies.

He scored:

- At home vs Yugoslavia in a crunch qualifier;
    - At home vs Turkey and Iran in vital playoff games;
    - Away vs Holland in a qualifier;
    - In three of four world cup games;
    - At home vs Israel under Kerr;

Everyone was rubbish under Staunton.

I'm sure I'll be inundated with claims of other games he's done it in
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    He scored:

- At home vs Yugoslavia in a crunch qualifier;
    - At home vs Turkey and Iran in vital playoff games;
    - Away vs Holland in a qualifier;
    - In three of four world cup games;
    - At home vs Israel under Kerr;

Everyone was rubbish under Staunton.

And there it is.

Again they're goals. I'm rating him on his overall play and in my mind he's not world class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

He is a striker. His job is to get goals, which he has done quite well.

Saying he can do it for Spurs so why not Ireland is a ludicrous statement.

The people he plays with for Ireland are not as good as the people he plays with for Spurs.

Many people have already stated he has cut out a lot of the crap that he used to do, but if all you're seeing of him is Match of the Day highlights, then of course they're going to show attempted pieces of skill that may or may not have worked.

Two top class managers have seen fit to make him the number one striker at Spurs and club vice-captain.

Face it Xavi, this time you're wrong.

He is a striker. His job is to get goals, which he has done quite well.

Saying he can do it for Spurs so why not Ireland is a ludicrous statement.

The people he plays with for Ireland are not as good as the people he plays with for Spurs.

Many people have already stated he has cut out a lot of the crap that he used to do, but if all you're seeing of him is Match of the Day highlights, then of course they're going to show attempted pieces of skill that may or may not have worked.

Two top class managers have seen fit to make him the number one striker at Spurs and club vice-captain.

Face it Xavi, this time you're wrong.

Firstly we don't get MOTD highlights in Australia.

Secondly I agree with everyone who has said his job is to get goals because he is clearly doing that. I do watch Keane play regularly for both Spurs and Ireland. World class is a big title to bestow on a player and for me he is not in the A grade of world strikers.

The OP asked if Robbie Keane is underrated. I say no he is not underrated because everyone is saying he is playing well. There are people however who are blowing the good form out of all proportion by labelling him as world class.

I'm not wrong by any means, I just don't agree with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Firstly we don't get MOTD highlights in Australia.

www.tvcatchup.com

Works a treat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

PHB wrote: »
    www.tvcatchup.com

Works a treat

:confused:
    To access this service, you must be:

a resident of the United Kingdom

in posession of, or covered by, a valid TV Licence

Your IP Address is not registered as originating from within the borders of the United Kingdom.

I guess i'll have to agree with you Xavi in that I probably wouldn't rate him as world class. I think thats a term thrown around too loosely and imo the only real world class strikers would be RVN, Henry, Eto'o and maybe ronaldo (Yeah i think he's still good).

But i think the thread is about him being class in his league and underrated in his league. He is top drawer in the premiership and because he isnt in the 'big 4' i think he is underrated by some, and criticising his Irish performances is underrating him in a way too.

Ah suckage, hmm. I would suggest you try and access it through an IP randomising or a proxy.
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070929063947AAveQHN seems to be a good bet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Sounds like you're talking about two different players in that comment. He hasn't shown much heart or presence for Ireland in a long time, more so since he was made captain
    Ah c'mon. He's one of the few players that realises how priviledged he is to be playing for us. He's one of the few players that would feel the emotion the rugby players did when the national anthems played before the England match at Croker. He runs his socks off for Ireland.

As for his leadership skills. He's regarded as the main man by the Spurs players anyway apparently.

Martin Jol article.
    In the Tottenham dressing room I pinned up a motto: “The Team is the Star”. If any player sums up that philosophy, it’s Robbie Keane. Normally it’s not the best combination to have a striker as your skipper. Robbie is different. He’ll do any job a manager asks and seeks togetherness with teammates socially as well as on the pitch. Character-wise, if you had 11 Robbie Keanes on your side, you’d have a chance of winning any game.

Robbie doesn’t play the game for personal accolades but deserves any which come his way, and yesterday he reached 100 against Sunderland. Only two other players in the past 30 years have reached a century. Their identities, Teddy Sheringham and Glenn Hoddle, show how special it is. At Spurs, Robbie is appreciated, the fans regularly voting him player of the year, but I wonder whether in the country he gets the recognition he deserves. He is only 27 and hardly any other striker in England comes up with the goods so regularly. He’s worth £15m to £20m - at least. Nobody scored more times in the Premier League in the calendar year of 2007 than Robbie. But the statistic which is even more revealing involves his number of goals away from home. It’s about 50%, and it’s a very rare footballer who performs as well in hostile stadiums as on his own ground. In my time as Spurs manager, Dimitar Berbatov didn’t come close to 50%. Robbie’s consistency is a result of his coolness and character. It’s a big reason why after two years of saying “I have three first-choice strikers though only two can play”, I changed my policy and announced “Robbie is my No 1”.

In my first six months it was difficult for Robbie, he was a substitute almost as often as he played from the start. He moaned, like most footballers would, but his effort and performance didn’t drop in training or in games. He scored a number of important goals during that period coming on as a substitute and that reflected well on him. Many strikers you put on the bench sit there with a miserable face and when you send them on, their attitude is: “I’m only involved for 20 minutes, what can I do? If I don’t score nobody will complain.”

Robbie would charge onto the pitch, desperate to get a goal and a win for the team. And when he played from the start and I substituted him, he hated it. He’d rather stay on the pitch and move to left-back than clock off early. This made him a great player to have when you needed to make a tactical change.

You could tell Robbie to move wide and close down the full-backs to stop the opposition starting attacks from the flanks, and he’d do it happily. Similarly, with Berbatov being a real No 9 I needed his partner to be more of a No 10 and Robbie adapted without asking questions. He developed into a good provider of assists.

When I first set eyes on the Tottenham squad, I would not have put Robbie among those who stood out as natural athletes. Then we did the physical tests. Quickest over 10 yards? Robbie. Over 20? Robbie was second only to Ledley King. Stamina? He was near the top in those tests. Later, Aaron Lennon would arrive and take the mantle of the club’s top speed merchant but Robbie (and Ledley) still ran him close.

On top of that, I’d seldom seen a player who could score in such a variety of ways. Robbie gets goals with his right foot, left foot, from volleys, chips and free kicks. The only things he can’t do are tackle and head the ball. He has an ability with penalties which is almost unique - most players decide in advance which side they’ll put the ball but Robbie runs up, watches the keeper and makes his choice in the very last milliseconds.

Off the pitch he can be a funny guy. I’ve always enjoyed having Irishmen in my dressing room. They love companionship. In my experience, they do everything they can to ensure there’s a good atmosphere and spirit, whether it’s organising games on the team bus or sitting down next to a guy who is by himself in the training ground canteen. Andy Reid was similar. I remember on a preseason trip to France, Andy and Robbie leading everyone in a round of singing until 4am. I didn’t want to stop them, I thought: “This is what a football team is all about.”

In Holland we say: “Be a man in the night and a man in the morning.” That means if you want to stay out until the early hours having a drink, don’t be a sissy the next day. Be a man and get on with your work. Irish players are like that.

Robbie is good at making new players welcome. Some fans didn’t agree, but when Ledley was injured he was my automatic choice to be captain. It puzzled me that only once during my time did another club - Everton - try to buy him. I look at some of the strikers being signed by Europe’s top clubs and think Robbie’s better. It would have been nice if goal No 100 had come against Arsenal on Tuesday but I knew Robbie would score yesterday.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Ah c'mon. He's one of the few players that realises how priviledged he is to be playing for us. He's one of the few players that would feel the emotion the rugby players did when the national anthems played before the England match at Croker. He runs his socks off for Ireland.

Yes, yes, yes. Where did this rubbish perception that he doesn't try for Ireland come from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I despise Robbie Keane for his general play. Too many step overs, dummies and all that fancy b*llox is the reason he is not a 'Top 4' striker.

Robbie Keane is not a world class striker, then again is Kuyt, Vorrinin, Crouch, Saha, Pizzaro, Kalou, Bendtner, Eduardo? He is a very good striker who can be frustrating at times, but most of the players in that list above can define the word frustrating.

Also I think at this stage we need a definition for "top 4", cas it aint what it used to be.

Although Robbie has played in WC finals, Stapleton had better players playing with him in his Ireland career - Brady, McGrath, Whealan, O Leary and the likes. hard to compare with the different eras and style, but there is no vast difference in terms of ability and importance to a side between the two.

• Advertisement

I dont think there are any true world class strikers in the premiership really.

Torres could be, Rooney for some i suppose, maybe drogba but none would really be considered the best around the world say like RVN.

In terms of 'top 4' strikers (IMO). I suppose drogs is there for me. He has done it now for a few seasons. Rooney when on form (patchy season), Adebayour on this seasons form is up there, and same for torres. Berbs is also class and should be there.

Oh and keane :p

I find it funny that people say that RVN is a world class striker, but forget that he was pushed out of the team by Saha. Different types of strikers work in different types of systems. For me, Drogba is probably the best in the world for the type of system he works in. RVN is probably the best finisher in the world, and works great within the current Real system, but wasn't working great within the old United system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Bar Doyle, Hunt, Andy Reid, Duff and Given when they were fit enough to play, Finnan, even Kilbane......

Eirebhoy- yep. He runs his socks off. He pants, huffs and puffs his way around the pitch, and throws his arms in the air. And complains alot over nothing.

As for the stats, correct me if Im wrong but wasnt the last goal he scored in an away game against a decent team during WC 2002? Thats approaching 6 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Its also hard to look at Shevchenko's career and not call him world class too.

He's the exception that proves PHB's point on Drogba. Where drogba is the best in the world for Chelsea's system, Sheva is quite the opposite.

Horses for courses. I'd go with Eto'o as the best all rounder.

I find it funny that people say that RVN is a world class striker, but forget that he was pushed out of the team by Saha. Different types of strikers work in different types of systems. For me, Drogba is probably the best in the world for the type of system he works in. RVN is probably the best finisher in the world, and works great within the current Real system, but wasn't working great within the old United system.

Always wondered about that. He was still banging them in during his last season at Utd.

He was, but in order to get him those goals, the players had to play in a way that did not work towards their strengths. The system was based around him, and it didn't work. Because of this, his goalscoring rate did drop somewhat, in comparison to his earlier seasons when the system actually worked for him.
    That's why he was dropped, and eventually sold because he didn't want to sit on the bench.

People put too much emphasis on players these days, when in reality the system is what is most important. Picking a system that gets the best out of the players you have is the toughest part of being a manager, and sometimes the best managers sacrifice their 'best' players in order to get a better system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

People put too much emphasis on players these days, when in reality the system is what is most important. Picking a system that gets the best out of the players you have is the toughest part of being a manager, and sometimes the best managers sacrifice their 'best' players in order to get a better system.
    This is the best, most inspired, piece of a post I've seen on Boards.ie in a long long, long time.

It's so true.

shane86 wrote: »
    Bar Doyle, Hunt, Andy Reid, Duff and Given when they were fit enough to play, Finnan, even Kilbane......

Sorry, I disregarded all you said after Duff. Simply did not perform. Hunt was used as sub and in the game he got his start he wasn't anywhere near as good. I'd agree that reid was good toward the end but was he not frustrating for large periods??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Sorry, I disregarded all you said after Duff. Simply did not perform. Hunt was used as sub and in the game he got his start he wasn't anywhere near as good. I'd agree that reid was good toward the end but was he not frustrating for large periods??

Also Hunt did a great job getting himself sent off against the Czechs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Is that not what Rafa is doing now i.e. playing a team designed to beat the opposition rather that going with a continuous regular 11.

He gets a lot of stick for doing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

FatherTed wrote: »
    Also Hunt did a great job getting himself sent off against the Czechs.

Rather unfairly tbh.

I think the ref just wanted rid of him in case Cech tried to knife him in revenge.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Is that not what Rafa is doing now i.e. playing a team designed to beat the opposition rather that going with a continuous regular 11.

He gets a lot of stick for doing that.

Strange way to operate, imo of course:
    Ryan Babel wrote:
    He adopts a rotation policy, I knew that beforehand. He has his own special ideas. He announces his starting XI one hour before kick-off. He will never give a hint at training whether you start or not.

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_3088092,00.html

Sorry, I disregarded all you said after Duff. Simply did not perform.
    He wasn't great against San Marino, didn't do much against Germany but played well in the other games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

There are people however who are blowing the good form out of all proportion by labelling him as world class.

Not one single person has labelled him 'world class' in this thread. Not one. The only times the phrase has even been mentioned are...
    prendy wrote: »
    i think he's a good striker, not world class
    DesF wrote: »
    He certainly isn't World Class
    kryogen wrote: »
    hes not world class
    a very good striker but not world class.
    I think Robbie is decent enough. Not world class but his record is very good.
    He scores goals but his general play prevents him from falling into the 'world class' category for me.
    He's a good striker, not a world class one.
    he does score goals but he is not a world class striker
    in my mind he's not world class.
    I guess i'll have to agree with you Xavi in that I probably wouldn't rate him as world class.
    Trilla wrote: »
    Robbie Keane is not a world class striker
    I dont think there are any true world class strikers in the premiership really.
    I find it funny that people say that RVN is a world class striker, but forget that he was pushed out of the team by Saha
    ~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Its also hard to look at Shevchenko's career and not call him world class too.

Nobody in this thread has claimed Robbie Keane is a world class striker, it couldn't really be further from that.

The poll mentions the word "class", and I believe he is class. It would be hard for me to watch someone to break Irelands scoring record at such a young age, then go on to shatter it, captain your club and country, reach 100 caps (which he will) and score as many club goals as Keane has, and not be able to even describe him as 'class'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

so, we all agree that robbie is not one of the top 5 stirkers in the world today, but hes close to it.

grand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Probably could have been world class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

There was more to it than that, and God knows what else went on behind the scenes at United regarding Sir Alex and Ruud.

I already said he's a good goalscorer so I don't anymore facts on that thanks.

You're right, he's not a flair player, yet he tries his utmost to be one when there's no need. That is why he is frustrating.

So does the fact that he's frustrating to watch exclude him from being a top Striker?. Personally, I could not care less how many stepovers he might get wrong. As long as he's banging in goals, and can score as many to keep him in the top 10, that pretty much makes him one of the top stikers as far as I'm concerned.

Perhaps I'm wrong. Perhaps he should be able to nail every stepover and never score a goal. That would probably make him a better striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I always felt Robbie Keane was an ideal fit for the old cliche - "a scorer of great goals but not a great goalscorer", although to be fair to him his scoring record has improved a lot in recent times.

I do think he's got quite a lot of unfair stick from many Irish supporters. He tries his best and without him we'd be f*cked big time. I've a lot of respect for him.

Incidentally don't put this question to the Evening Herald's Paul Hyland as he seems to look upon Keane as the child of Satan.

Evening Herald's Paul Hyland

Not a great paper to be honest. Can't say I'd ever respect the opinion of anyone who's written in that rag, but that's my own personal prejudice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement