Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Strange Noise when I turn right

Options
  • 29-01-2008 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

Hi guys,

My 5 series makes a strange 'VRRMMM' sound and the steering seems to pull back when I make a sharp turn to the right eg, a small roundabout. It doesn't make any sound when turning slowly or parking etc. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Rob

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭paulksnn

Hi Rob,
    Could it be the power steering on full lock making the noise?
    I know mine does make a small bit of noise on full lock in either direction!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Check to see the fluid is topped up and there are now leaks. But certain models do it on full lock. My Mazda does.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

Thanks guys. I find it doesn't just happen on full lock. If I turn quickly, even half way, it makes the sound. Turning left is perfect.

I had a look under the bonnet but can't find where to check the power steering fluid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

sounds like a wheel bearing gone to me... can't say i can translate 'VRRMMM' to a sound in my head but de way your describing it sounds like a bearing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Wheel bearing would make noise constantly, not just when turning, it would also get louder the faster you drive.

Sounds more like power streering pump or possibly a worn bushing / ball joint in the suspension. Best bet to get it on a ramp and have look around. Try turning the streering through full lock with the car stationary, with the engine on, if there is no noise your streering rack / power steering pump is ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If its electric power steering, could be bushings failing in the p/s motor. I've no idea if BMWs use electric or hyraudlic p/s...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

My money is on PS fluid being low!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

kbannon wrote: »
    My money is on PS fluid being low!

Yep, I've had to top up the PS fluid with ATF a couple of times over the last 4 years which solved the "strange noise" when turning

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

Thanks guys.

If I turn the wheel when stationary or even slowly, there is no noise at all. It only happens when I turn sharpely. Plus it's a lot worse when the car is cold. I've checked what I think is the power steering fluid (says 'ATF only' on the resevoir cap) and it's topped right up.

A puzzler for sure...

Advertisement