Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What potatoes are people going to grow this year?

Options
  • 29-01-2008 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Last year we grew Sarpo Miro (organic and blight resistent!) and Golden Wonder, both were a success. Definitely growing Sarpo Miro again this year but deciding what else mmm. Would prefer organic and a spud that roasts well. Mr Middleton's in Dublin is a great supplier. Anyone want to recommend potatoes that have worked well for them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,418 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

grew arran victory last year (among others) but wasnt too impressed with the yield nicola and cara this year i think
    grew a couple of bags with edgcote purple and pentland black (i think) which i got a couple of seed potatoes from a heritage grower purple all the way through until you cooked them unfortunately

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

As usual we'll probably go with records and kerr pinks.. Pretty reliable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Pentland Javelin. Good croppers and I find earlies much less hassle than maincrops.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Aeneas

First earlies: Duke of York. Second earlies: Queens. Both are reliable, and the early crop generally avoids the main blight period. For this reason I don't bother with a maincrop.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭sculptor

I always throw in a ridge of Tesco's or Dunnes roosters, if your earlies or wonders fail you still have something to fall back on. Good cropper, hardy and cheap, if philistine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭skydancer

all sounds good
    hope they all grow well for y'all
    and sure why not pop in a few shop bought roosters
    looks like we're growing sarpo mira, home guard, queens, and sharps express. we have to extend the veg patch first tho! then planting around paddy's day :-)

Advertisement