Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wireless modem for smart broadband

Options
  • 29-01-2008 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

I'm thinking of buying a new netgear WGR614NAR 54G Wireless Router to go with a smart telecom broadband connection I just signed to. It's from the States (ebay). I wonder if there's any incompatibility issue or if it's ok. Seems to be the same model a friend of mine is using for his eircom broadband connection.

J

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Joanamo wrote: »
    I'm thinking of buying a new netgear WGR614NAR 54G Wireless Router to go with a smart telecom broadband connection I just signed to. It's from the States (ebay). I wonder if there's any incompatibility issue or if it's ok. Seems to be the same model a friend of mine is using for his eircom broadband connection.

J

That's not a modem, it's a router only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Joanamo

Spear wrote: »
    That's not a modem, it's a router only.

True, only router. Would that model work?

J

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Joanamo wrote: »
    True, only router. Would that model work?

J

It'll work, but bear in mind you still need to use it in conjunction with a separate ADSL modem. If you have the Aolynk that Smart used to supply, then you'll want to consider bridging it to the router

http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=153

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Joanamo

Spear wrote: »
    It'll work, but bear in mind you still need to use it in conjunction with a separate ADSL modem. If you have the Aolynk that Smart used to supply, then you'll want to consider bridging it to the router

http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=153

Thanks. I'll wait till I get the installation up and running, then I'll email the seller and visit maplin. Smart's offer of wireless router for €140 seems a bit steep.

J

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I've been using a Netgear DG834G on Smart with no problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭delos

digitaldr wrote: »
    I've been using a Netgear DG834G on Smart with no problems
    Likewise and its been a dream... If the OP is buying on eBay this would be a better buy as you have one less box to connect up. The only issue I had was that the admin password is wrong in the main part of the manual but correctly specified in the appendix. Otherwise it was the easiest bit of configuration I've done in a long time.

Advertisement