Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secret Unfeminist Thoughts

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

When a Woman driver pulls out in fromt of me, I just say 'oh, here we go...''

Mind you it's the same if it's an old person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Loaded1973 wrote: »
    I am not a tub of crap waddling around the place, probably riddled with cholesterol,

Sorry to be pedantic.. but you can be stick thin and have high cholesterol ;)

WindSock wrote: »
    When a Woman driver pulls out in fromt of me, I just say 'oh, here we go...''

Mind you it's the same if it's an old person.

Your days of modding the LL are numbered :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

snyper wrote: »
    Sorry to be pedantic.. but you can be stick thin and have high cholesterol ;)

Snyper - one week ban for inappropriate use of pedantry and for using Kermit-The-Frog as your avatar ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

It's not unfeminist to not want to be fat. Being obese is unhealthy.

I also think Women should look after their babies and not go straight back to work after a few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

...and if they've taken time (eg, a year + )off work to look after the kids, then of course they're not entitled to the same benefits as the people who've been working that whole time.

WindSock wrote: »
    It's not unfeminist to not want to be fat. Being obese is unhealthy.

I also think Women should look after their babies and not go straight back to work after a few months.

Ouch! I know two groups of ladies who aren't going to like that! And for those lacking my percipient intellect, I'm referring to fat ladies and to those who have chosen to return to the workplace after birthing.

And I hate to think what fat mothers returning to the labour market (so to speak) must be thinking right now!

**puts on unfeminist hat**

I like having my BF's dinner ready for him when he comes home from a long day at work (even if my day has been just as long/stressful)

I don't mind ironing his shirts.

I like having doors held open for me.

Going on my own experiences, I believe women can be the biggest barrier to other women's progress in the workplace when it comes to parenting/maternity leave.
    A lot of the career-obsessed women I've worked with relish the chance to have a dig at working mothers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

narco wrote: »
    i cannot actually believe some of the comments in here about weight and appearance... i got so angry reading some of them... make me feel like ****, tbh.

i believe that everyone has their limit on what they themselves would find acceptable for themselves. dont feel bad because our limits are lower then you, we'll be the ones depressed and loathing ourselves after having kids lol:p:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

rediguana wrote: »
    Ouch! I know two groups of ladies who aren't going to like that! And for those lacking my percipient intellect, I'm referring to fat ladies and to those who have chosen to return to the workplace after birthing.

And I hate to think what fat mothers returning to the labour market (so to speak) must be thinking right now!

Like it or not though its true, fat people die younger and kids grow up happier when they have a complete upbringing(and that does not include excessive use of daycare facilities).

• Advertisement

Hellm0 wrote: »
    Like it or not though its true, fat people die younger and kids grow up happier when they have a complete upbringing(and that does not include excessive use of daycare facilities).

Yeah, I know, I was just joking.

Anyway, I'm out of here. Nite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

I'll be honest and say this thread makes me sick to my stomach. It doesn't matter what size shape what ever you are one persons throw away is another person keep sake. What is ugly to one person is beautiful to another.

What do you consider ugly ladies... cuz im sure you may consider yourselves pretty and thin or whatever but other people would consider you to be the most ugly thing on the planet. It's all about self worth, And if you have to make comments such as some of the ones in this thread well you have none!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I have no problems with working mothers - my own mother worked full time, she had to to pay the mortgage. Its just when mothers come back after having kids to work 4 hours a day or 3 days a week and try pick up where their career left off.

Jules wrote: »
    I'll be honest and say this thread makes me sick to my stomach.

Im not sure as to why?

The title itself is perhaps going to be of an unpopular nature, but isnt it perhaps within vanity what women..and men are thinking but not saying?

If you shower in the morning, you are trying to fit into an accepted norm.. you put on make up to.. fit into a norm..

Its seems to be a harsh reality of human nature..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is entitled to have an opinion on weather someone outside of their relationship wants children. If you think otherwise your being an arsehole.

I preety much feel the same way about people who think less of others based on their weight or appearance, unless it is relevant to their interaction.

QFT !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

On the fat people issue - I hate the political correctness that surrounds it. Really fat people shouldnt be told that it's all about who you are on the inside, and how beautiful you feel, because being obese, or morbidly obese, is unhealthy. I dont mean people who are a size 16, that would be ridiculous, but people who weigh about 20 stone shouldnt be told that it doesnt matter that they weigh that much. It does matter. They're slowly but surely killing themselves.

The same goes for people who are disgustingly skinny. It's unhealthy, and I'm not going to pretend that it isnt, just because it's the politically correct thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

i agree beanb. noone is HEALTHY at 18+ or extremely skinny. 16 is beautiful on the right girl as is size 6. frames differ and heights. being beautiful on the inside is no excuse for being obese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

I think this thread has demonstrates that feminism still has a way to go as weight, appearance and motherhood seem to be cropping up again and again.

I wish that all women could have a good body image, and that choices women make regarding children and their careers would be supported and respected. I wish that a woman's body would not be considered such public property that it offends/arouses/digusts/pleases without her say in the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'm not going to apologise for saying I wouldn't like to be fat or ugly. When I say "ugly" I don't simply mean plain, I mean unsightly looking. And very few people are unsightly looking - and NOBODY would want to be unsightly.
    Also, anyone who's fat doesn't really want to be fat - if there was a quick, affordable and effective fix they'd be queuing up for it in their droves. I'm not saying they'd want to be skinny - I wouldn't like to be skinny either - but they would like to lose the excess flab, no matter what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

I wonder why its acceptable to describe skinny girls as disgusting, emaciated, anorexic (which they may not be) scrawny etc and its a hanging offence to even mention that you would not like to be fat. It seems to be ok to say you wouldnt like to be skinny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Jeez this is why |I stopped playing golf with women!!

Mary : Your putt there Helen

Helen: Right... shapes up to putt... then No Mary i think its yours.

Mary.. eyes up putt... no you are further away..yours.

Helen.. really,are you sure

Mary.. yes its you

Helen.. Ooh do you really think so... we need to measure.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:(Flutter)

Measurement taken and Mary is further away by about three inches!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAgh just hit the f*********in ball.

Dudess wrote: »
    I'm not going to apologise for saying I wouldn't like to be fat or ugly. When I say "ugly" I don't simply mean plain, I mean unsightly looking. And very few people are unsightly looking - and NOBODY would want to be unsightly.
    Also, anyone who's fat doesn't really want to be fat - if there was a quick, affordable and effective fix they'd be queuing up for it in their droves. I'm not saying they'd want to be skinny - I wouldn't like to be skinny either - but they would like to lose the excess flab, no matter what they say.

You dont need to apologise ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

The point of this thread i seem to be missing, but i think as i am one of those "fat pople" being discussed i should reluctantly give my 2 cents.

Dudess is correct imo, if there were a miracle pill / injection whatever in the morning i bet 99% of us "fat people" would opt for it. No one is truly happy being over weight, but at the same time it's a very very personal issue. Each to his/her own.

Do i have unfemenistic thoughts? When orange looking women try to struggle down a busy street in town in humungus high heels wearing make up that could have easily been applied with a trowel wearing in some cases jeans that may need surgical removal... i may smile a little.

I may be fat, but i'm no fake. All the make up and all the diets in the world won't make you a better person. When i get up in the morning i care about the things that matter. I'm not interested in how Jimmy or Joanne bloggs think i look. So long as i'm healthy, and i am, (well so far anyway thank god) so long as my kids are healthy and happy. I Think people find it much easier to find fault with others than to consider the fact that nobody is perfect. It takes all kinds of people to make this world go round.

Katrina

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

Dudess wrote: »

this is probably why some peoples comments are causing such outrage in others. noone WANTS to be fat (or so im presuming). some may have tried dieting, some not (for whatever reason), but im sure even people who arent happy with themselves & their weight try not to let it bother them. So when people make comments like "ooh id hate to be fat" it probably hits a nerve.

Another side of it is the size 14-16 girls who are not necessarily fat, eg. ive known taller girls who are perfectly slim but are size 14. These girls reading comments like "omg id hate to be bigger than a 10, id be so fat!" could easily end up feeling bad about themselves.

Not quoting anyone in particular, ive just got that general gist from quick read of the thread. Hope that made some sort of sense, im tired, kinda feel like i didnt..

themadchef wrote: »
    The point of this thread i seem to be missing, but i think as i am one of those "fat pople" being discussed i should reluctantly give my 2 cents.

Dudess is correct imo, if there were a miracle pill / injection whatever in the morning i bet 99% of us "fat people" would opt for it. No one is truly happy being over weight, but at the same time it's a very very personal issue. Each to his/her own.

Do i have unfemenistic thoughts? When orange looking women try to struggle down a busy street in town in humungus high heels wearing make up that could have easily been applied with a trowel wearing in some cases jeans that may need surgical removal... i may smile a little.

I may be fat, but i'm no fake. All the make up and all the diets in the world won't make you a better person. When i get up in the morning i care about the things that matter. I'm not interested in how Jimmy or Joanne bloggs think i look. So long as i'm healthy, and i am, (well so far anyway thank god) so long as my kids are healthy and happy. I Think people find it much easier to find fault with others than to consider the fact that nobody is perfect. It takes all kinds of people to make this world go round.

Katrina

Hammer, nail head :)

Good post ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

I want to clarify what I posted a little. I didnt mean to imply that I think that anyone that is fat isnt a good person, or that I would look down on them for being fat. All I mean is that I'm not going to lie if I think that somebody needs to lose weight for the good of their health!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

snyper wrote: »
    Hammer, nail head :)

Good post ;)

yeah very well put :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

Peared wrote: »

I would hate to be fat.

I would hate to be ugly.

Nobody wants to be fat or ugly. As you said, beauty is an accident of birth.

Did you ever think though, that your being pretty and slim throughout your life has affected your perspective on these matters? If you had been born "ugly" you would learn to cope with it. Alot of ugly/fat people learn to get along with people in other ways, such as striving to be smart, funny, artistic, whatever. This is why alot of fat people turn out to be very nice people to be around indeed :)

I went through a phase of being fat, I think it's a good personality-building experience, although I'd never let myself get to that stage again. Being unfit is not nice :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Like other posters, I wouldn't want to be overweight. Like everyone, there's a superficial element to it, but for me in particular it's medical. I was born with deformed joints, and they're very weak. The best thing I can do is support my joints with strong, well developed muscles, and not put much excess stress on them. Being overweight would eventually break down my joints and immobilize me (put on too much weight, and that would happen to anyone - it would just happen to me a lot more quickly and with less of a weight gain). I have some very conflicting feelings about weight, but they don't belong in this thread.
    Additionally, I worry sometimes about getting older and wrinkles. It's so vain, but it's made me very conscious of skin care, not tanning, staying out of the sun, etc., so that's a plus.
    I also like a manly man - I want the man to take the lead in a relationship and be decisive and just a little bit protective: someone who doesn't expect me to be the tough, modern woman all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

Im going to continue with the secret unfeminist thoughts,i too would not like to be fat, now im sure MANY larger women are perfectly happy but i know i wouldnt be

i like wearing makeup getting dressed

i like men to open doors for me

If someone is checking me out in a non sleazy way it makes me feel good

I also think in some jobs men still do better then women

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement