Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secret Unfeminist Thoughts

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

WindSock wrote: »
    When a Woman driver pulls out in fromt of me, I just say 'oh, here we go...''

Mind you it's the same if it's an old person.

ah yes...i feel the same, and as a woman driver (a good one at that!!) i feel im slightly betraying women by thinking that...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

so be afraid boys be very afriad ;)
    Boys are afraid, men aren't.... ;):D
    Nead21 wrote:
    ah yes...i feel the same, and as a woman driver (a good one at that!!) i feel im slightly betraying women by thinking that...
    Speaking as a bit of a petrolhead, I'm not so sure. While I think men are physically better drivers out of the box(more control etc) I think that's largely down to the fact they're more interested at a younger age and see a car as an extension of themselves, rather than a mode of transport. Add to their generally better judgement of speed and distance(we're spearchuckers basically so.......:)) and yes guys are likely to be "better" drivers. Safer is a whole other ball game. Women have more scrapes etc but more men end up tearing across fields upside down on their roof with shíte runnin down their neck.

All that said two of the very best technical drivers I know are women. Unreal awareness the pair of them. And the absolute worst "God I hope I'm not on the road at the same time" drivers is a guy. That's why I wouldn't be quick to tar all with the same brush, though I do avoid most of you like the plague... ;)

One of the very best *ahem* spirited drives I had was following a car driven by a Muslim woman in the full get up. Scarily good driver she was. Hows that for blowing perceptions out of the water? :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Jrad

I really don't get this thread.

Secret unfeminist thoughts?

Feminism is

Advocacy of the rights of women based on the theory of equality of the sexes. (from the Oxford English Dictionary)

So does this mean "unfeminist thoughts" are those which suggest that men and women are not equal?

Where does the debate regarding weight or looks come into this? Are they in any way related to the equality of the sexes?

Odd alright! Maybe it was supposed to be "unfeminine thoughts" but then the op started on about fat people and how she absolutly detests them and how she wont apologise for detesting them.
    Go to the mans one on bgrh, its not as bitchy and senseless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Oh my god, you're trolling right? Please find me the exact point in the opening post where Peared says she "detests" fat people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Oh ffs! Get it together. No one is attacking fat people, no one said they hate fat people, people said they don't want to be fat themselves. Stop making mountains from molehills and read the posts properly. Women! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭swordsgal27

Wibbs wrote: »

Ah now thats a debate in itself ,how do we know when the transition happens ;)
    feminism is a scary word to any man i know , and in my opinion extreme feminists are usually single and yes i know a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Ah now thats a debate in itself ,how do we know when the transition happens ;)
    feminism is a scary word to any man i know , and in my opinion extreme feminists are usually single and yes i know a few.

Well if they extreme feminists they are probably single out of choice. Any real man is never afraid of a woman who knows her own mind and feels she is capable of anything regardless of her sex. Who wants a wussy man who scared of feminism anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Peared wrote: »
    Littlegoblin I was using the word feminist in a very general way. Everybody has their own understanding of the word.

Is that not part of the problem though, you've reduced "feminist" to a meaningless word by saying it can mean whatever the person in question wants/understands it to mean. Imo, women are afraid of describing themselves as "feminists" because the word has been hijacked by minority interest groups who claim if you aren't pro their cause, you are anti-feminist.

btw, fat people are too sensitive, if you are fat, deal with it, it's not healthy and it shouldn't be applauded. Certainly, don't try and take away someone right to describe you as fat simply because the word bruises your ego.

But, I'm a man, what would I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Crazy Catlady

Nightwish wrote: »
    I have no problems with working mothers - my own mother worked full time, she had to to pay the mortgage. Its just when mothers come back after having kids to work 4 hours a day or 3 days a week and try pick up where their career left off.

I don't get it.
    Why does that offend you? Would you rather we didnt work and collected social welfare so you could scorn us for that? Or would you rather we worked full time and criticise us for having kids that we don't spend time with?

Just as an aside, I thought this was going to be a "funny" thread about girls liking doors being held open, or secretly wishing for flowers delivered to work.
    But its pretty much turned into a women bashing women thing. Classy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I don't have any female friends except my sister. Women drive me crazy...they're crazy...lol.

And yes, I am a girl. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

If having a problem with bint-type women is anti-feminist, then I guess I'm anti-feminist. But I know I'm not - THEY are the ones who are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭swordsgal27

Jeez the mens one is so much funnier , lighten up some of you ! oooppss pardon the pun :D

My ex used to cut and paint my toenails while i was heavily pregnant ,id love to tell all his mates :p:p
    and by jaysus he did a better job than i ever did myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

i like women. they amaze me with their ability to turn on each other.

however i must ask - we criticize folk for over smoking, drinking, drugging,shagging, **** etc.....

what is so sacred about over eating - which is the cause of 99% of fatness before the "i have a condition" crowd jumps in - that we are unable to be critical without turning it into a bloodbath.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

what is so sacred about over eating - which is the cause of 99% of fatness before the "i have a condition" crowd jumps in - that we are unable to be critical without turning it into a bloodbath.
    It's more complex than that though. For a start many are ignorant about what food they should be eating. Even if they go for the healthy option, then they have to understand the amounts. A woman mate of mine is slim. She eats junk food and her diet isnt that great at all. While her heavier mates give her stick about how she can eat anything while they're on the salads and better diet. They may be, but they eat a hell of a lot more than she does. She might have breakfast and then not eat until 7 at night and when she does it's usually a take away. She rarely snacks. Her heavier mates graze all day.

Everyone has a different bodyshape. Everyone has a different metabolic rate, but hunger and the individual food intake males the difference when it comes to extremes.

Add to that women's relationship with food and their appearance and how many will "comfort" eat. A concept alien to most men by comparison.

Now I know quite a few blokes who have dropped weight quite easily. They have advantages though. Higher testosterone burns fat and they'll get little or none of the social competition that women sometimes can get from their peers("who does she think she is looking better than me" etc)

It's a weird one and until women take control of that then at least one area of feminism will never take root and it won't be men's "fault".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Plan_D

WindSock wrote: »
    Oh ffs! Get it together. No one is attacking fat people, no one said they hate fat people, people said they don't want to be fat themselves. Stop making mountains from molehills and read the posts properly. Women! :rolleyes:

Thanks God for your post. I was reading the whole thread thinking, why are they debating "Fat"? No one originally said they detested fat people etc, just they didn't want to be over a certain size! It is a shame some people find it offensive :/ Snyper spitting on the back of womens head was more debateable :(

OP...I like when Men pull my chair out when we go for meals :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Plan_D wrote: »
    OP...I like when Men pull my chair out when we go for meals :o

I will pull a chair back and take a coat.
    I will also open the door for both sexes and give up a train seat if someone is struggling or pregnant.
    That to me at least is just plain manners (i guess i am thinking back to a thread a year ago where it was deemed Sexist to do so)

But I too thought that this thread may be along the lines of ... "actually i like being in the kitchen" with humour thrown in.

So my 2C worth on the fat debate is to me as a guy it doesn't matter really. I have dated from thin models to very large. The one with ther greatest self esteem issues were the thin models. If the spark, wit and character is there, and the openness. Then that's most important.
    the only time i asked a lover about hre weight was when she wasn't looking physically well and not because of any preconcieved idea or expectation i had.

But then again it about not buying into the cultural hype. If you are happy at a certain dress size, why kill yourselves trying to get lower.

Mind If any of you like ironing... be my guest, its the only thing i am not good at. I can't iron for crap, i always put creases into things :(.*

*homecooked meal offered in exchange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

why do women so often feel the need to 'prove' what they are?

Im sure you cant actually be a femenist and like the kitchen. shock horror!
    In the same way I dont believe you ned to be a femenist to be an individual woman.

why the need to catagorise and box yourselves enalty into an understandable package? why no just be...?

but thats not really what this thread is about, is it?

and since im not a woman, i suppose i cant really think of any secret unfeminist thoughts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

Add to that women's relationship with food and their appearance and how many will "comfort" eat. A concept alien to most men by comparison.

blokes comfort eat and drink!!
    they mightn't call it that - but after a ****y day or incident or general gayness - the tins come out that rebel pizza send me the meal deal for 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I'd just like to thank god for inventing the vagina because quite frankly, men wouldn't talk to some of you in here with the attitudes that you possess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

blokes comfort eat and drink!!
    they mightn't call it that - but after a ****y day or incident or general gayness - the tins come out that rebel pizza send me the meal deal for 3.

But are you eating pizza to cheer yourself up or are you eating it because you feel too miserable to be bothered to cook a dinner?

• Advertisement

I secretly want to be like http://belledejour-uk.blogspot.com/

after watching this Secret Diary of a Call Girl, The show (starring Billie Piper)
    Guys are easier to get on with
    I don't like bitchy girls (even though I am one sometimes :p)
    I'd also hate to be fat
    cuckoo wrote: »
    Sometimes i want a strong man to just wrap his arms around me and just take care of me. Old fashioned, protecting me from all the scary things in life, helping me in and out of my coat, all the time while murmuring "don't you worry your pretty head about anything - i'll sort it all out". :o
    Agreed 1000%
    My boyfriend always puts me on the inside of the street when we're walking

No one ever did that before and I think its super cute!
    Sometimes I like him to order for me when we're eating out too!
    Me too! :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

meh to the weight issue, if you're happy in yourself and healthy then who gives a fcuk. there are worse things in this world than being a few pounds overweight.

OT my unfeminist thoughts are that there are some days when i just don't want to be "a sister doing it for herself". I'd just like someone else to come and take all the crap over and sort it all out for me, while i slept the untroubled sleep of a child. There are days when i'd like to be looked after rather than being the one to do the looking after.

There are days when I think oh I love being independent and then there are days when I think "oh stuff your independence up your arse, i'd love a big strong man to fix it all while I'm in the kitchen baking bread and knitting jumpers".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I hate women phys ed teachers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I secretly want to be like http://belledejour-uk.blogspot.com/

after watching this Secret Diary of a Call Girl, The show (starring Billie Piper)
    Just on a serious note.These shows are dangerous as they really glamourise the sex industry. The reality of being a prostitute is far from expensive underwear in expensive hotels. The majority of women working as prostitutes experience violence including brutal rape at the hands of their clients.

Also ladies seriously being 'ugly' is the worst thing in the world??
    Its advertising by corporations run by men that dictate whats ugly and whats not. Isnt it time we stopped pandering to the superficial beauty that they dictate to us and focus on being truly beautiful, By just being who we want to be and not being the sheep we are at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Cardinal

panda100 wrote: »
    Its advertising by corporations run by men that dictate whats ugly and whats not. Isnt it time we stopped pandering to the superficial beauty that they dictate to us and focus on being truly beautiful, By just being who we want to be and not being the sheep we are at the moment.

That's a load of BS. What's ugly and what's not cannot be totally dictated by corporations. A lot of it is a result of visual cues used by both sexes to identify more suitable partners. And the whole "run by men" thing is a load of crap. Women play more of a part in dictating the aspects of ugliness that can be dictated than men do. Take some responibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stratospheres

Sometimes I can be bitchy about pretty girls because I'm jealous!
    I'd (secretly) love to be like a lingerie model or glamour model!
    Don't think there's anything wrong with that lol

panda100 wrote: »
    Just on a serious note.These shows are dangerous as they really glamourise the sex industry. The reality of being a prostitute is far from expensive underwear in expensive hotels. The majority of women working as prostitutes experience violence including brutal rape at the hands of their clients.

I know this :D and I would think (hope) people watching this wouldn't be that niave
    Sometimes I can be bitchy about pretty girls because I'm jealous!
    I'd (secretly) love to be like a lingerie model or glamour model!
    Don't think there's anything wrong with that lol

Me too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Babette08

Cardinal wrote: »
    That's a load of BS. What's ugly and what's not cannot be totally dictated by corporations. A lot of it is a result of visual cues used by both sexes to identify more suitable partners. And the whole "run by men" thing is a load of crap. Women play more of a part in dictating the aspects of ugliness that can be dictated than men do. Take some responibility.
    why do women so often feel the need to 'prove' what they are?

Im sure you cant actually be a femenist and like the kitchen. shock horror!
    In the same way I dont believe you ned to be a femenist to be an individual woman.

why the need to catagorise and box yourselves enalty into an understandable package? why no just be...?

but thats not really what this thread is about, is it?

and since im not a woman, i suppose i cant really think of any secret unfeminist thoughts.

Sorry girls - I'm agreeing with the guys on this one :D - why do we always feel the need to pigeon hole ourselves?

Ps white wash man...your spelling is atrocious ha ha :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

I think there are some weird ideas about feminism floating around in here.

Feminism is about equality, but most importantly it's about choice!

I would consider myself a feminist and I love cooking. Contradiction? No. The difference is if I had been born into my mother's generation, I would have to cook, like it or not.

I'm considering giving up work when I have kids. Contracdiction? No. See above.

etc etc

But as for stuff about liking when guys order for me - no way! I HATE when you go to a restaurant and the wine menu & bill are given to the man. Pfff.. (although to be honest it happens more in France than here)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

taconnol wrote: »
    But as for stuff about liking when guys order for me - no way! I HATE when you go to a restaurant and the wine menu & bill are given to the man. Pfff.. (although to be honest it happens more in France than here)

Yup, i alwys point the waiter in the direction of my date for ordering on theat basis unless asked to order for her.
    Same with the wine tasting: i alwys point the waiter to her to taste the wine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement