Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Doing the test 'as Gaeilge'...

Options
  • 29-01-2008 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭

Is this possible all over the country, and does it decrease your waiting time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭squishywishy

Have heard that it speeds up your waiting time, was tempted to do it as gaeilge myself but i was afraid id get confused during the questions at the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

obl wrote: »
    Is this possible all over the country, and does it decrease your waiting time?
    I'd say it is otherwise they would state that it isn't possible at every centre (just like they do for some larger categories). I presume an Irish speaking tester would be dispatched to your centre if none was available. Not sure if it affects the waiting time - I'd say it could go either way depending on the circumstances.

(Fair play to you for having that ability. Are you a 'native' Irish speaker?)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I'd say fluent rather than native, but got an A1 in honours Irish in the LC last summer...
    Languages are easy for me, driving is not, the luck of the draw...

obl wrote: »
    got an A1 in honours Irish in the LC last summer..
    That's impressive! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I don't know about Irish but I think for some people who aren't comfortable with English you can have a translator in the back of the car once they aren't your instructor.

• Advertisement

matrim wrote: »
    I don't know about Irish but I think for some people who aren't comfortable with English you can have a translator in the back of the car once they aren't your instructor.
    As far as I know, the use of the translator is not permitted the theory part for obvious reasons, but how do they do it conduct it without one? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

As far as I know, the use of the translator is not permitted the theory part for obvious reasons, but how do they do it conduct it without one? :confused:

I though it was the other way round , could only do the theory part ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

jhegarty wrote: »
    It is, you can have a translator or someone to assist you with the theory and matters of form, but on the practical test, you're on your own.

jhegarty wrote: »
    SeanW wrote: »
    It is, you can have a translator or someone to assist you with the theory and matters of form, but on the practical test, you're on your own.
    If the translator was allowed into the theory part of the test, what's to stop them from giving the answers to the candidate? (The 'translator' could be a friend of the candidate who has better English).

On the practical part it wouldn't really matter as the translator doesn't have any control of the actions of the driver or of the various situations that may arise.

When I was doing the C+E test, a Chinese girl in front of me was doing the B test. She had a translator but the translator was not permitted into the theory part of the test. That's what puzzles me!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

from "Final Preparations for your driving test" http://www.drivingtest.ie/preparing.html
    If you cannot speak English or are deaf, you are permitted to have an interpreter with you. This person must not be your driving instructor, and may not accompany you on the practical test.
    When I was doing the C+E test, a Chinese girl in front of me was doing the B test. She had a translator but the translator was not permitted into the theory part of the test. That's what puzzles me!
    Well she was entitled to have the translator there. Makes you wonder though, if you cannot speak English or are deaf, how exactly are you supposed to DO the practical test, when the tester is giving you English language instructions orally?

• Advertisement

from "Final Preparations for your driving test" http://www.drivingtest.ie/preparing.html
    If you cannot speak English or are deaf, you are permitted to have an interpreter with you. This person must not be your driving instructor, and may not accompany you on the practical test.

Well she was entitled to have the translator there. Makes you wonder though, if you cannot speak English or are deaf, how exactly are you supposed to DO the practical test, when the tester is giving you English language instructions orally?
    That's puzzling alright. :confused: Thanks for that info SeanW. Perhap's it has changed since I did it.

(The reason the above scenario sticks in my mind is that when the Chinese girl went out on the test with her translator and tester but they were back in a few minutes. The translator and tester were as white as sheets and the girl was in tears. There was a bit of a commotion and my truck instructor told me later that the candidate in question had driven straight out onto the Jamestown Road (Finglas Test Centre) without stopping and caused several other vehicles to take evasive action. The instructor feared for his safety and wouldn't continue with the test).

Any driving instructors/testers out there able to shed some more light on this matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

if you cannot speak English or are deaf, how exactly are you supposed to DO the practical test, when the tester is giving you English language instructions orally?
    pointing, maybe some flash cards? A little imprecise, but hardly rocket science.

Advertisement