Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

China a Real Backpackers place?

• 29-01-2008 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever travelled through China, is it a good place to go backpacking? Are there hostels? How long can you stay?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭elambra

Hi,

I'm thinking of going there during my travels in May, not sure where to go yet so anything you find out let me know too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Spider_Baby

I was there about 18 months ago during my world trip.
    It wasn't all that backpacker-y at all really.
    All the hostels I stayed in were more like hotels. I was travelling with a friend. 90% of the time, even though we asked for dorms, we were in a room by ourselves. This made it a bit harder to meet people and make friends with other guests.
    A couple of hostels were different.

Yangshou (think thats how its spelt?) was the most backpacker-y type of place. Real nice atmosphere there. Type of place where you can rent a bicylce and just head off for the day and see the most amazing scenery.
    The boat trip to there was absolutely stunning too!

Must see's are obviously the Great Wall, Terracotta Army, Biggest Buddha in the World. Also the Panda sancturies...depending on your views on them. Personally I didnt go. Heard too many cruel stories.

Cool place overall though.
    Oh, and cheap clothes and handbags! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭ro1798

how manys visas do you need for china, where did you get them etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭scaramanga

ro1798 wrote: »
    how manys visas do you need for china, where did you get them etc
    just one, unless you plan on leaving and coming back in then ul need a mutiple entry visa(going to hong kong counts as leaving china)
    there got easily enough at chinese embassy in ballsbidge got mine in a few hours.

not really backpackery place was there 2 years ago , one piece of advice have ur hotels/hostel written down in chinese or else u dont have a hope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭newbusiness

It is great for backpacking but just pick your hostels more carefully.

I spent a month there from Beijing to HK and everywhere in between (barely spent a night in each bed).

Get the Let's Go series of book and a backup Lonely Planet. Let's go is more accurate and has less bias.

NOTE: I'm serious about the backup travel book. If you don't speak Mandarin and you're stuck in the arse end of now where where nobody speaks English and nobody can read (most taxi drivers can't read) you really need to be able to pronounce the service / transport you require.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Yep, I backpacked for 2 months there and absolutely loved it! The internal flights are cheap through www.elong.net, and trains are also a great way to travel. Hostels are good - my favourite was Sims Cozy Guesthouse in Chengdu - the south and west are better for travelling in since they offer a more genuine experience and are cheaper too!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Mrs Doyle

Hi, wondering if someone who has ben to China can help me. Travelling to China in August for 3 weeks. Flying into Beijing and out of Hong Kong.Between these citiesw we have about 2 weeks. Now Xian is probably the next stop after Beijing, and possible the Yangtze cruise from Chongqing to Yichang [willing to omit if a better option is suggested!]. Can anyone suggest a route from here to Hong Kong?
    So far, have come up with 2, either go Fechuang, Guiling, Yangsho or Yunnan-Kunming etc - or is there time to do both? Heard good things about Yunnan, but is just a bit out of the way with time being so limited- suggestions?

Advertisement