Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help with explaination of center fire and rimfire

Options
  • 29-01-2008 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Ok I’m so new to this I don’t even having my rifle yet! I have done loads of research on the matter and know a fair bit now! One thing I would like to know is the differences between center-fire and rim-fire rifles.
    Which one would I start with! Ill be mainly doing target shooting I think!
    So which is better, why would I choose one over the other ECT!
    Also if you could recommend a type of rifle I could start on!
    I have had a shotgun for a good while and I know the super well so I see no difficulties in getting the license. One rifle I have fallen in love with is the Remington 700 SPS from Duffy’s for 750.

Any thoughts that would be helpful would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Rimfires are smaller calibres, so-called because the firing pin indents on the rim of the cartridge casing, while with centrefires, the firing pin indents in the middle of the base of the cartridge. Fairly rudimentary explanation, but should suffice. Centrefires are far more powerful as well, and more expensive to run. If you're beginning and looking to shoot targets, a rimfire is a lot cheaper to run. .22lr is the standard rimfire round to begin with, and is very cheap. You'll be able to do a lot of shooting for little enough money, with a box of fifty rounds going for 5 or 6 euro. As regards recommending a rifle, it depends on your budget and where you will be shooting and whether you'll want to shoot small game and vermin also. You'll also need to account for a decent scope and mounts as well. Others will be along with more and better information, but that may give you some basics to chew over as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

If you're not used to rifles I would think it is best to get .22lr to start, cheap to shoot and every cabinet should have a .22lr anyway. Then get a centrefire, the calibre will depend on whether you want to shoot deer or foxes or paper.

If you don't what to hunt deer then a .223 would be good for target and foxes/vermin. Again the .223 is much cheaper to shoot than many other centrefires, some ammo for 10-11 a box(20). Oh yes, if you want to shoot deer/foxes/paper a .243 would be good and many people use their 6.5x55 for the fox as well as deer.

Finally, it is much much better to put an expensive scope on a cheap centrefire than the other way around. Generally you should spend the same if not more on the scope. On a .22(Rimfire) it is less important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

This might help explain ...:)

rimfire.gif

center-fire.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Start with the .22lr as well of giving you all the basic principles and being imo the best way to get into the sport of rifle shooting you'll only end up getting one anyway

Why
    Because its a nice round to shoot all day not loud or sore on shoulder
    Costs nothing to shoot unlike CF
    And does heat up so can be shooting away on the .22 while CF is cooling

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

.22lr all the way, and don't use an optic sight starting either, go with the metal sights for a few weeks then strap on the optical, you really appreciate it then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

IMHO fall out of love with the SPS varmint! If you decide to go centrefire, its very hard to get a good one of these, from what i've heard. Its very hard to beat .22lr starting out. there are people out there that think a .22lr is a pussy round but its not. It has a lot to offer a person starting out. If you can get the basics right with a .22lr, then consider changing up.

On the matter of rifle choice, please search the forum as some target discplines only allow certain rifles.

Ideally go to a rifle range and hire a .22lr if its possible and get more information there.

Theres a saying that if you want a fresh apple- don't go to the shop, go straight to the orchard!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 enda50

thanks guys very help full going on that i like this one
    http://www.shoot.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_25&products_id=31

ps im sure i probely shouldnt be going on this but im going purely on looks!

also i dont think id ever deer hunt but is it a bad thing that i want to feel the kick of the gun! thats why id stray from 22s cause i have fired a styer and its really not much fun once you under stand the flight path of the round and know where your zeroed, so im thinkin the kick throughing you off would be a bit of an extra challenge!

if im wrong please feel free to correct me ty!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭N.O.I.P.

The 452 is supposed to be a great rifle, never fired one but I have a deposit down on an older version of it. I've also never heard or read of anyone who disliked it.

Ive a CZ style and its a great little gun, accuarate and cheap to shoot.

I use it for plinking but it is good enough for competitions I would say..

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

enda50 wrote: »
    i have fired a styer and its really not much fun once you under stand the flight path of the round and know where your zeroed, so im thinkin the kick throughing you off would be a bit of an extra challenge!
    I dont shoot a rifle so can only comment on shotguns,
    but the recoil doesn't really affect a single shot (as in a rifle)

Reduced recoil makes is earier to shoot multiple shots together, and make it more comfortable over time.
    Stronger recol should throw a shot off target. (might mess up a second shot on a double, but not a single shot)

As I said, my exp is based on shotties, might be different for rifles

• Advertisement

is it bad that im only going on the looks of a rifle when im lookin to buy one! in the same with shotguns, i dont like the look of the newer ones and thats why i got a over and under with an older look.
    in rifles i love the look and thought of bolt action ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

dont know anything about the CZ you are looking at but in general CZ rifles are very good accurate and relliable.

i have a CZ 527 Hornet and i wouldnt change it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Paddy Diver

thanks guys very help full going on that i like this one
    http://www.shoot.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_25&products_id=31

I have one of these, excellent rifle, love it. In saying that Im not shooting to long (7-8months) but have put a fair couple of thousands rounds throught mine so Im now finely getting an idea of the rilfe, handling, how various bullets effect zero, how different bullets travel oh and my groupings getting tighter, yipeee!

The only fault I find is that I find the stock alittle to short, if that makes sence, if I have the stock tucked into my shoulder I find the scope to close to my eye and thus cannot see through it properly and I cannot put the scope forward anymore.

Maybe what Im saying it try before you buy, will probably stand to ya in the long run.

Just my two pence worth tho.

All the best,
    Ian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

I also have one of these , CZ's

excellent rifle , very accurate and suitable for fitting a scope to.
    The trigger , as with all CZ's is a little gritty but if you fit a Brooks trigger kit ,
    it improves the rifle beyond belief.

Quite capable of blowing the 10 ring out of a target repeatedly at 50 meters, and one of the best value pieces of kit in shooting today ,,,anywhere.

any one fancy posting a few pics of thier cz and the ammo they use any attachment and how they have found it and them

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭japbyrne

look up duffys fishing & shooting galway, huge amount of rifles on that site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

any one fancy posting a few pics of thier cz and the ammo they use any attachment and how they have found it and them

Have a look at the photos threads :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭IDon'tKnow!

If you start with rim fire.
    Go with a .22lr the ammo is cheap and the guns are cheap.

There is also more shooting ground that will let you shoot the .22 then center fire.

If I was starting out I would go for a CZ or a second hand Brno.

I have a Marlin and the CZ is a much better gun for the same money. A few of my friends have CZ's and Brnos and these are great guns for the money.

Advertisement