Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work in Tallaght - live where? Advice needed

Options
  • 29-01-2008 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭

I will probably be working in Tallaght, Airton Road near the Square, with a start in a few weeks. What are good options on where to live given the following:

-I will have a car and have no problem driving most days, but would like the opportunity to take public transport sometimes
    -I have previously rented rooms in D4 (Ringsend Rd) and D6 (Rathmines) and love living close to the city centre. Nothing better than living so close that you can walk home after a night out
    -Don't want to pay more then €650 a month for a double room and parking
    -Close to a a supermarket such as Tesco, Superquinns or Dunnes would be good

Are there any regular bus services to Tallaght via Rathmines / Rathgar / Terenure? What roads are mental going towards Tallaght in the morning and back towards town in the evening? (looking at the N81 here, seems to connect the areas I am thinking of and Tallaght) Would living in Smithfield and taking the Luas there and back everyday be an option? Thanks for any suggestions! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Don't think you'll get the room with parking for that in Smithfield. Maybe Stoneybatter which is next door and a nice place - Walshes a lovely pub - or around Islandbridge. Don't drive in Dublin unless you have to. Check if your job does the commuter taxsaver scheme, so you get either 41 or 20 per cent back on the cost of your annual Luas ticket.

The other option is probably Inchicore, Suir Road stop on Red luas line I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

The Luas might not be such a good option so...just noticed the 65 Bus goes through Rathmines, Rathgar, Terenure and Templeoige on the way to Tallaght and this might be fine too. In reality I probably will be driving most days or cycling on fine days. Anyone have a preference regarding the areas mentioned above and ease of living / ease of commuting to Tallaght?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Rathmines and terenure are both nice places, nice villages too. Not much in Rathgar comparatively and don't know Templeogue at all unfortunately. At least by living on town side of Tallaght you'll be going against traffic comparatively in morning and evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Would it not be far handier to actually get a place in tallaght?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ealach

I live on baggot st and work on Airton road. If you are going to be driving most of the time then I'd forget about living anywhere north of the Liffey as the traffic coming back into town is bad enough without having to get across the city. If I leave Airton road at 5pm it takes 45-60 mins to get back to town. I usually go in for 8am and it only takes 25mins but you can add 15mins to that if you're in for 9am.

I'd recommend Rathmines/rathgar/inchicore if you want access to public transport and cheaper rent than the centre of town.

• Advertisement

Would it not be far handier to actually get a place in tallaght?
    Probably would be handier alright! But I much prefer living close to the centre of a city than farther out, and the ability to get in and out of the centre of town quickly and relatively cheaply during the weekend is quite important to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

get a place in rathmines or terenure. Mates of mine live in rathmines and walk into town.

u say 650 a month, but im assumin u mean share a house with others who also pay 650 a month, rather than get ur own place for a total of 650?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,948 ✭✭✭✭listermint

ionapaul wrote: »
    Probably would be handier alright! But I much prefer living close to the centre of a city than farther out, and the ability to get in and out of the centre of town quickly and relatively cheaply during the weekend is quite important to me.

Night link and Luas run to tallaght, its not the West Coast its only about 25mins at weeknights to get home from city centre. IMO you will get more for your books by actually living in tallaght.

Yeah, €650/mo for a room in a shared house / apt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Terenure is your best option. I grew up there and spent my time going between there Tallaght and town. If its still the same there is the 65 and 49 bus which service Tallaght to town and both pass through Terenure. Then there is all the 15's. You can walk to town in about 40 minutes if you want.

• Advertisement
Advertisement