Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Intel Q660- Vista 64bit

• 29-01-2008 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Will vista ultimate 64 bit run fine on the intel Q660 processor, as I know 32 bit only recognizes 3Gb of ram and im lookin to put more in?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

sean1ucc wrote: »
    Will vista ultimate 64 bit run fine on the intel Q660 processor, as I know 32 bit only recognizes 3Gb of ram and im lookin to put more in?

Processor wise, there's not a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

runs fine, had it running myself for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Believe what you like. I encountered this bug on a system about 6 months ago and after 4 failed attempts at installing found the Microsoft page which I linked. Since then I have taken the precaution on any subsequent install. From what I saw if it does it once it will do it everytime you try, until the ram is reduced. Is it not also possible that, because of the nature of this bug (killing installs), M$ may have put the fix on more recently issued install discs.
    Pog and Anti can you guarantee beyond a shadow of a doubt that whatever system Sean builds will not suffer this bug? Is installing with one stick of ram really that much hard work, when you may potentially end up installing it all again should your system be affected ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

duridian wrote: »
    Vista 64 bit runs beautifully on a Q6600, I'm typing this on it right now.
    One tip I would give is this, and it applies to both 64 bit and 32 bit Vista.
    Read this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777
    Even if you plan to use 4GB or 8GB of RAM with Vista, make sure that you only have 2GB fitted while you install Vista. Once you have it installed, download and install the patch from the M$ link i gave you. You can then add the rest of your RAM that you plan to use and work away as normal, installing drivers etc. If you try to install with more than 3Gb(but 2GB is safer to use as you are wel below the danger zone) without doing this Vista will blue screen everytime and you won't be able to install. Hope this helps you, forewarned is forearmed as they say. Apparently this will be fixed in Vista install discs with SP1 integrated, but for now, this is the workaround.

BS, I installed 64bit last week with 4Gb absolutely no probs. Its running fine & never blue screened.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭sean1ucc

Ok so does someone want to clear that up for me do i or need i not remove some of the ram before installing vista cause its kinda unnecessary work if i dont need to

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Ok so does someone want to clear that up for me do i or need i not remove some of the ram before installing vista cause its kinda unnecessary work if i dont need to

No you dont. I installed vista with 4gb ram installed and no problems at all. Ive done this for a few builds now and never had any problems.

jus outa interest dere i see in ur signature dat u have ur q660 overclocked to 3.95Ghz is de system stable at that and whatcooling have you on it

Actually another question what would people recommend anti virus for 64 bit vista?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

jus outa interest dere i see in ur signature dat u have ur q660 overclocked to 3.95Ghz is de system stable at that and whatcooling have you on it

3.95 is my max stable on air for a banzai run. Which means it lasted long enough to boot into windows, run 3dmark06 and super pi 1mill. Everyday is different, depending on what games or apps i use i go between 2.8ghz ( world of warcraft ) to co4/ut3 etc etc ( 3.6ghz ) With watercooling i could get rid of the heat, but with 1.65v and all cores hitting 82c after 20 mins its not advisable to go this far on air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I think its more board specific, I've actually heard of this happening, but I got on fine on my install, so did anti & thousands of others. I'd say just cance it with 4Gb, if you run in2 a problem just start again with 2Gb.

• Advertisement

Ive got a P5N-E sli mb

Advertisement