Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

UPS delivery vans, who makes them and why?

Options
  • 29-01-2008 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭

I see a few UPS vans doing the rounds, they looks a bit home-made
    They seem to be based on Mercedes Vario, anyone have any more info, or know why UPS don't use standard vans. Think they have sliding front doors too.

Anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

It's all about corporate image.

They want the vans to look the same all over the world ...and as they initially started off with some american POS ...that's what they look like.

Used to sell aluminium to a company in Germany who made quite a few of them. They only did the rear box section and the drivers cab, the fronts were shipped in from some american supplier.

Those vehicles were based on the large Mercedes vans at the time. Mercedes only supplied the chassis complete with dashboard, engine and steering. Everything else was made to UPS spec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Ya brand Image really I think. I did see a few merc UPS vans delivering stuff to college last year though. They were painted the UPS brown, so I suppose standardizing the vans is another step in the corporate image.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I remember back in my VW days that UPS approached us to see if we would look after their brown T4s. They came armed with their own parts catalog for specific parts and their own service requirements. The yokes even have different drive shafts! We didn't bother with it as it looked like too much work - not because we couldn't be arsed, but more to do with the 'home made' design colm mentioned.

As peasant says, it seems to be all about corporate image, but I can't see what difference it makes having the sliding door and the metal floor. Having them all painted 'baby nappy brown' is fine - but the 'modified' parts make no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

When a UPS van arrives at your door step its a statement in itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

My local UPS guy (should know his name on how often I see him!) has a standard Merc LWB van....

MYOB wrote: »
    My local UPS guy (should know his name on how often I see him!) has a standard Merc LWB van....
    Is he a contractor? I know DHL will take on outside guys with low mileage white vans if they are busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

UPS are using Sprinter vans too. modifications seem limited to a rear step.

Is he a contractor? I know DHL will take on outside guys with low mileage white vans if they are busy.

Brown UPS van, brown UPS uniform, always the same bloke - always.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

My dad's a UPS courier and he's on his 3rd Sprinter now. Up to 97 they used LWB Transits and the "UPS Van" is a creature faced with extinction on this side of the pond. I believe most of the organs are by VW and they only have 2 operating out of Shannon. One is a 95 and still going strong. The other is 00/01 and was retired from Dublin a few years back.

The European corporate image is Sprinter/LT

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    UPS are using Sprinter vans too. modifications seem limited to a rear step.

Rear Step
    Security door from cabin to cargo
    Reversing Camera
    Deleted Stereo
    Speed limiter
    Full aluminium shelving both sides of cargo area

what's the craic with not having a stereo? That'd drive any driver mental?

It's a distraction, which is bollocks, especially when they're not provided with handsfree!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Healyc

Used to do all the maintenance on the UPS Vans & trucks when i worked in a Merc Commercial garage (Not Mutec). They were good guys to work with. They must be the only Courier company now who dont have owner drivers operating under their colours.

In relation to the vans, i know they previously bought their Mercs directly from Mercedes Germay but the newest vans Merc 315's & 415's were bougth from M50 Truck Centre.

Their not too different from regular vans and just have the rear suspended step, aluminium interior shelving and no radio (distraction).

When the vans are sold they must be sprayed a different colour, usually white, because UPS own the PATENT to that lovely brown colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

awwwwwwwwww, having no radio in the van is pure bollixxxxxxxxxxx.

hey,.........business oppertunity - buy this one on ebay http://cgi.ebay.ie/Chevrolet-Grumman-LLV-American-Post-Van-2-5L-RHD_W0QQitemZ250210937018QQihZ015QQcategoryZ18301QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

, spray it chocolate brown and set up competing with UPS with the STEREO Pumping all day long.......LOL:D

Healyc wrote: »
    Their not too different from regular vans and just have the rear suspended step, aluminium interior shelving and no radio (distraction).
    Im sure they have a GPS, a more dangerous distraction than a mobile phone and radio put together :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

...because UPS own the PATENT to that lovely brown colour.

Might float someone's boat, but I ass-ociate it with the morning after a bottle of red wine! :D

Im sure they have a GPS, a more dangerous distraction than a mobile phone and radio put together :D

GPS (where's the ROFL smilie)...they won't even spring for bluetooth phones. GPS would rupture some accountants splien over in London or Hamburg:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I recall they all had airconditioning and electric windows as standard, the guy that used to call here from about 1998 on, always had both !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

When the vans are sold they must be sprayed a different colour, usually white, because UPS own the PATENT to that lovely brown colour.

Are the vans scrapped after their use? Ive never seen a repainted van. Im more likely to see an ex-ambulance on the road than one of these..:)

• Advertisement

how would you know if it was repainted. They probably started out life as white vans anyway.

how would you know if it was repainted. They probably started out life as white vans anyway.

Because the actual "package car" ones are a very, very distinctive shape you'd recognise them fairly easily. The normal ones, not a chance.

I thought we were talking Sprinters and LT's. I wouldn't say there are too many of the custom ones about

All they have over here is the Sprinter 313 van & 315/415 Box Body, VW LT 35 & Merc Varios. Then they have the bigger lorrys also.

When the vans are resprayed they just look the same as any oridinary vans and they begin life as that lovely brown colour not white! :D

You mean VW/Merc spray them brown in the factory?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The driver's seat in those UPS vans look a bit odd. It's almost as if someone placed a chair under the steering wheel. (And there's never any passenger accomodation).

crosstownk wrote: »
    but I can't see what difference it makes having the sliding door
    It's very useful when making deliveries in narrow alleyways or when exiting on a street with a very narrow but busy footpath.
    Many public transport buses also have the radio removed or disengaged. :(

You mean VW/Merc spray them brown in the factory?

They sure do, Merc or VW will spray any colour if you ordered that amount of vans in one go! :D

Advertisement