Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Board?

Options
  • 29-01-2008 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭

Howdy. Still trying to decide what exact components I want. The main issues lie with the Processor and Mobo.

I'm deciding between the Core 2 duo 8400 and the Quad Q6600, thoughts?

The board is the main sticking point. I'm looking at spending up to €200, a bit more if the right board costs that. Again, what do people reckon? Was looking at one or two Asus boards and came across this aswell. http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-018-IN&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=946

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Personally i would stay away from the reference board. Nothing wrong with it, but others have better features.Also the cpu depends on will you be mainly gaming ( c2d ) or alot multi tasking ( c2q )

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Anti wrote: »
    Personally i would stay away from the reference board. Nothing wrong with it, but others have better features.Also the cpu depends on will you be mainly gaming ( c2d ) or alot multi tasking ( c2q )

It's pretty much boards and gaming.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

What he wants to multitask while playing games? ;p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Me too....

I wouldnt even bother with an x38 board, a good old p35 which supports the new chips would be perfect, extra money towards the cpu perhaps?

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-088-GI&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=913

Cpu depends on whether you want to overclock?

If you do then then get the Quad, if you dont get the E8400....

Cant go wrong with either

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Me too....

I wouldnt even bother with an x38 board, a good old p35 which supports the new chips would be perfect, extra money towards the cpu perhaps?

Cpu will be th e8400 , almost 100%on that decision now.

Just the board, as I said, I can go a bot over the €200 mark for the right board.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-258-AS&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=913 , what about this one?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Fine board, I've got the older revision P5K Deluxe Wifi. Highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

A very fine board indeed. And an awesome overclocker too. What ram are you planing on using btw ?

I'd avoid the nvidia chipsets like the plague, they dont handle 4Gb kits well, don't overclock well, chipset runs very hot, plus its older technology than p35. Does it support future 45nm processors? My advise wuld be to stick with the Intel chipsets.

A very fine board indeed. And an awesome overclocker too. What ram are you planing on using btw ?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-022-GS

• Advertisement

Great overclocking ram. Also dont listne to poggy hes old and into linux :p

New nvidia boards like the 780i are awesome overclockers. There are lots of reports of people with G0 stepping Q6600 who were stuck on 3.2/3.3ghz on p35's and x38's. No matter how much they fiddled with voltages and timings.. They are now reporting to be able to hit 3.6ghz with everything on auto and confirmed by 24hour wprime logs, and cpu-z validations.

Great overclocking ram. Also dont listne to poggy hes old and into linux :p

New nvidia boards like the 780i are awesome overclockers. There are lots of reports of people with G0 stepping Q6600 who were stuck on 3.2/3.3ghz on p35's and x38's. No matter how much they fiddled with voltages and timings.. They are now reporting to be able to hit 3.6ghz with everything on auto and confirmed by 24hour wprime logs, and cpu-z validations.

Complete BS.
    Your recommending him buy a 680i mobo, cos the 780i mobo is a good overclocker. The 780i is just an improved revision of the 680i, not a new chipset. They just added 45nm support to it. The 680i is a dire overclocker, just check out L31mrod's thread In april when the 790i comes out he's gonna be sorry he took your advise as this will be the 3rd revision of this terrible chipset. X48 will also be out round then also.
    I follow threads regularly on XS and have yet to come across one where former x38 users are getting better oc's on 780i's. Complete BS

BTW, have those exact sticks of ram in my rig at moment running at 1068mhz 5-5-5-15 with stock voltage. Great value

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    The 680i is a dire overclocker,

i wouldnt agree with that at all! i have my e6600 runnin at 3.6 most of the time, without a single fault. but i do agree in the sence that the 680i and 780i chipsets are almost identical, theres not much of a point goin for a 780i cause a 680i will be jus as good.

i dont know if the x38 and p35 mobos are better overclockers now, but the 680i is definatly NOT a dire overclocker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭TheThreeDegrees

There are lots of reports of people with G0 stepping Q6600 who were stuck on 3.2/3.3ghz on p35's and x38's. No matter how much they fiddled with voltages and timings.. They are now reporting to be able to hit 3.6ghz with everything on auto and confirmed by 24hour wprime logs, and cpu-z validations.

wakey wakey!

and that was done with a minimum of fuss on an x38.

the nvidia chipsets are ****e for oc's.

i'd listen to Pog he knows what he's talking about;)

4016OC.jpg

So 780i's are **** are they ? Weird Considering kingpin and fugger broke the 3d06 world record with evga 780i's:

http://www.evga.com/articles/390.asp

yeah exactly "liquid nitrogen"!

how many people in the real world are gonna use that?

the only thing the 680/780 chipsets do is generate heat.they are also well known for stability issues.

and that is coming from the evga website?how much of that is for marketing purposes?

with the new generation of procs if you have to use water or liquid for that matter to achieve a decent oc then you are affectively saying "my mobo is not good enough"

There is a thread on XS about it and on his blog as well as a load of other sites ( independant ). You can read all about how kingpin tried it with p35's x38's and even a preview x48 board and he found the 780i the best.

I just think this whole thing of labeling a board absolute crap is obsurd. Especially when you havent ever layed your hands on the board. So what if he used ln2 ? your whole point is that the board cant be overclocked well. And this just blows your theory to bits. No serious overclocker uses air these days. Water/chiller is the minimum requirements.

None of us here are real hardcore overclockers, with the exception of unseen and his phase setups. We just push our chips to the maximum we can get it stable on air. And a few more with basic watercooling setups. Why are you lot getting so much sand in your vaginas over something so petty and trivial ?

-_-

Some links...

http://www.nordichardware.com/news,7220.html
    http://www.pureoverclock.com/story1743.html

I based my opinion on the Nvidia chipsets on FACT Anti.
    You only need to take a look at my experience in THIS BOARDS overclocking logs which was well documented on what happened with a 680i chipset.
    there was nothing but overheating and bios flashes to get the stupid thing to 3300.

You claimed in your earlier post the following
    "There are lots of reports of people with G0 stepping Q6600 who were stuck on 3.2/3.3ghz on p35's and x38's. No matter how much they fiddled with voltages and timings.."

and you use that statement to justify
    "New nvidia boards like the 780i are awesome overclockers"

To me that is a wholly biased statement coming from a moderator of this forum.

now whether this is becuase you are or are considering buying a 780 board and you feel you must say this to justify its purchase then thats well and good and your are entitiled to your broadcast.

however I for one will loose all respect for this forum if a Mod such as yourself tries to be-little the x38 or p35 mobo's with hearsay and basically naive and stupid remarks.

You based your experience on hearsay and your personal experience. Which is fine nothing wrong with that at all.

Yes some people had problems with the 680i for overclocking. I myself didnt and easilly had my e6600 ( at the time ) up to 3.6ghz stable with no stability issues or heat problems.

My reports of lots of people stuck on 3.2 - 3.3ghz is well doccumented. Have a look here :
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=170055

I jusify them as an awesome overclocker. Well yes, i do. And so do a lot of people with the board already. Ill refer you to the link above for that.

This is a biased statement ? On what grounds do you say this? Ive been in contact with a few top overclockers about this board. and they are saying how good this board is. Yes its not a perfect board but what is ? Also i never said the ip35 or x38 are bad boards at all. They are very good. And id be happy to own either. But its my personal choice not too.

Also, im not a moderator of this forum. This is building and upgrading. I moderate tweaking and modding. But they are easy to confuse as both cover similar topics and points of interest.

And back on to me "be-littling(Cheers spankeh)" the x38 or p35. Please show where i said a bad word about them ! Up above i even said " I just think this whole thing of labeling a board absolute crap is obsurd "

I honestly have no idea on why you are so hostile over this matter at all. Same with poggy. But like i said hes a bit old so probably cranky. And ill be sure to give him plenty of abuse on msn about it. If its my comment about sandy vaginas i appologise if you took offence to that.

Also i think this thread is starting to go a little of the track because of the posts of Poggy, yourself and myself. If you want to discuss this further with me i would reccomend you pm me, and i would be more then happy to carry on.

i wouldnt agree with that at all! i have my e6600 runnin at 3.6 most of the time, without a single fault. but i do agree in the sence that the 680i and 780i chipsets are almost identical, theres not much of a point goin for a 780i cause a 680i will be jus as good.

i dont know if the x38 and p35 mobos are better overclockers now, but the 680i is definatly NOT a dire overclocker

400fsb is not a huge overclock on a core2duo, i'd easily expect it on any modern chipset, put a quad in the board and see how high it goes. Big difference. Even my old AW9D-Max 975 chipset did 400fsb with a very hot stepping b2 e6600 but failed completely with a quad.

Abit Quad GT & Asus Maximus are the best clocking boards available at the moment, both x38

• Advertisement

So 780i's are **** are they ? Weird Considering kingpin and fugger broke the 3d06 world record with evga 780i's:

http://www.evga.com/articles/390.asp

:rolleyes: Because of Sli, not how high the boards oc'ed. We all know that 3DMark06 is completely gpu dependant and that both p35 and x38 only support crossfire

Its broken the record i believe. thats how he managed 5.8ghz on a Q9650 or similar. Its mentioned in one of the links i posted back on the page. And yeah i know tri-sli does help. But getting 10k points alone for the cpu is daaaaamn impressive. Also everyone expected quadfire to be the first to hit 30k too. But not much hope on the boards out at the moment, meant to be alot of bugs in the bios when trying to push the fsb. And the phenoms just cant compete atm.

Well, have we scared the OP away with all this handbag stuff :D
    Honestly I dont think it really matters which chipset as he's goin with a core2duo, unless he's got phase change or some ln2 ordered. Is he ever goin to push it to its extreme? All chipsets should suit his needs and will get him a good overclock, just go with the board that suits his budget and has the most features.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Well, have we scared the OP away with all this handbag stuff :D
    Honestly I dont think it really matters which chipset as he's goin with a core2duo, unless he's got phase change or some ln2 ordered. Is he ever goin to push it to its extreme? All chipsets should suit his needs and will get him a good overclock, just go with the board that suits his budget and has the most features.

+1 QFT !

sorry if I appeared cranky.must be the old age!

hope we didnt scare him away though:D

you can tell we are very passionate about it;)

may the best board win muhahah!!!!!!:p

that was funny :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Ok it's good to see that everything is sorted before I got here, but please remember that the same rules apply here as do in any other forum on the site: personal abuse = ban. And that covers the indirect kind too, so don't get sly. :)

As for the hardware in question, it's all subjective. The average user won't be pushing the hardware to it's threshold and a lot of the issues raised will be null, that said, I've no ideas of the OP's intentions, but try and keep the handbags away until there's a clear picture out there as to what exactly the OP wants.

I have this board, mainly for cheap crossfire on a functional but it overclocks excellently too, far past what you'd realistically require of any program in terms of practical usage (i.e real term performance vs benchmarks). Don't splash out on an expensive board just for reasons that aren't actually relevant to your needs, the amount of people you see on other forums with 300 euro boards and then asking questions like 'what's an fsb' etc is staggering. Again, not that I'm inciting that the OP is anything like that, but you know what I mean.

I have to say I've heard a lot of negativity surrounding 680i here, but have generally only read good things on the likes of Guru3d...never used one personally though.

Phew, we got the kind mod lads ;)

Imagine what would have happened if robins came in here first :p

your right it would be unfair to give the 680i all bad press.

The memory timings were "fractionally" better than my current x38 board but unnoticeable really.

My one was an Asus board and what happened when you overclocked it was the sound went haywire.Kinda daft I think.

Just want to say this:

I have enough confidence in the folks on this forum to know what there talking about to not have to reference other forums elsewhere.
    Yeah so what they have big budgets and big names but we live in the real world and I think as consumers we probably give a more honest and unbiased opinion than a lot of "sponsored" sites out there.

cheers and thanks and i'm off to play some games now:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Oh when I mentioned Guru3d, I meant the huge forums over there - not the actual review site itself. :)

Advertisement