Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stages of RDF application

• 29-01-2008 10:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭

How's it going folks,

I'm just curious as to what are the different stages of RDF applications.

I just got a call back from the medics to say my application has gone through the guards and that they would be contacting me soon.

What stage would I go through next? Anything I need to do to prepare for it?
    What stages would be after that?

I was skimming through the Joining the RDF post, but a breakdown of the different stages would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Next you get sworn in then you get your Uniform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

If you haven't already done so you will do a medical exam before you get sworn in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Will there be a fitness test?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Will there be a fitness test?

No, there only required for subsiquent career courses.

Rew wrote: »
    No, there only required for subsiquent career courses.

Shame, I was raring to do that.

Can't really explain why.

• Advertisement

Allrighty folks, apologies for all the questions but have a question about the medical.

I have my medical on thursday and am curious as to what it would entail.
    I had a medical in school when I was around 14 but this basically consisted of having my height taken and genitals inspected.

I have rowing beforehand, should I give it a miss so as not to cause any temporary changes in pulse or whatever.

Piss test(dont miss the tube)
    Height
    Weight
    Vision
    Colour Vision
    Feet (for Arches)
    Genitalia

His thumb can be quite cold.

Only messing no Prostate Exam involved.

THe rest are correct though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

lung capacity (spirograph)
    blood pressure
    chest measurements (while lungs full and then empty) and general health along with a questionaire (correct answer tends to be "no", that is not encouragement to lie though)
    are all part of the test too. Being on medication will also preclude enlistment. (unless it's short term, eg antibiotics to clear up moderate acne)

Covenline wrote: »
    re : the medical

what if you have loads of scars from self harming/ suicide attempts?

as theres a 3 year "symptom free" clause for the UK TA

Well it really depends I guess. The doc could over look them or you could lie but I personally would not let a previous self-harmer near a Rifle.

Course rejecting them could start it all up again!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Breakdown of joining the Army Reserve:

1) Phone recruitment Office

2)Attend the 'parade' (training night) at the closest army barracks
    ----> This will include a very short interview with a seargent
    ----> You will be given a number of forms to fill out which must be returned with birthcert and two passport photos

3) Your details are sent off for Garda clearance to check for criminal record etc. This can take between 4-10weeks over which time you may be allowed to continue attending parades with the other potential recruits

4) Once your clearance comes back you'll do a hearing, eyesight and breathing exam

5) After passing this you will have a medical exam with a doctor which consists of:
    -Questions (eg. Do you smoke? Do you have any scares? Do you have any illnresse? etc It is best to answer these truthfully
    -Height/weight/BMI/chest measurements
    -Blood pressure
    -Balance inspection (standing on one foot)
    -Inspection of hands/feet/nails (He just quickly looks at them)
    -There is no fitness test for the RDF

6) If you pass your Medical Exam you will be sworn in by your commanding officer.

7)Approx. 4 weeks later you'll be issued with a uniform

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭steyr fan

Shame, I was raring to do that.

Can't really explain why.

Probably just want to show that you are well able for it. Keep it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭steyr fan

Allrighty folks, apologies for all the questions but have a question about the medical.

I have my medical on thursday and am curious as to what it would entail.
    I had a medical in school when I was around 14 but this basically consisted of having my height taken and genitals inspected.

I have rowing beforehand, should I give it a miss so as not to cause any temporary changes in pulse or whatever.

If you're fit enough (which you must be if you're rowing), you'll be ok with this.

But do NOT expose your ears to loud music ect - don't go to the cinema or noisy bars / clubs, or listen to ipod for a few days before the audiogram (hearing test). A lad failed the audiogram recently because he went to the cinema earlier in the day. He passed the following week though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭kermit_ie

Joining the RDF is a simple process, however there are a number of important steps to be taken, which may take some time.

* Application
    * Security Clearance
    * Medical Examination
    * Attestation
    * The Oath

Application

To apply to to join the RDF you must first contact the unit you wish to join. To see what your nearest unit is, use the In Your Area link in the menu to the left. You must bring two passport photographs, and an original copy of your long form Birth Certificate. There you will be given an application form, which will be completed with the help of a Recruiting Officer. If you are under the age of 18, you must have the permission of your Parent/Guardian to join the RDF.

Security Clearance

All applicants for enlistment in the RDF are required to complete and sign a Consent Form that, pursuant to Section 8 of the Data Protection Act, 1988, will authorise the Garda Síochana to furnish the Defence Forces either, a statement that there are no convictions recorded against an applicant, or a statement of convictions, as the case may be. In the case of applicants under the age of 18, a Parent/Guardian shall be required to complete the Consent Form.

Medical Examination

Applicants must be in good mental and bodily health, and free from any physical defect, abnormality, physiological condition or past history of serious illness likely to interfere with the efficient performance of their duties. The following are the minimum requirements:

* Height :- The minimum height is 157.48 cm (5' 2") for all applicants. Physical standards and weight must be in keeping with height and age.
    * Vision :- Unaided vision of not less that 6/36 in each eye, corrected to 6/6 in one eye, 6/9 in the other eye, and colour vision must be normal. The ISHIHARA Colour Vision Test must be passed. Where spectacles or contact lenses are necessary, the applicant should be in possession of spectaces/lenses when presenting themselves for medical examination.
    * Hearing :- A good standard of unaided hearing is essential. Applicants will be required to undergo an audiometric test at which:
    1. the sum of the hearing threshold levels, at low and high frequencies, in each ear must not exceed the age related warning levels contained in the "Guidelines on Hearing Checks and Audiometry" issued by the Health and Safety Authority, and
    2. applicants must be able to hear all measured pure tones up to and including 8kHz at 20dB in each ear.

* Applicants are advised to avoid all sources of loud music and noise for a period of 48 hours prior to this audiometric test as exposure to such noise may adversely effect the results of this test.

Attestation

Once all the required Security and Medical checks have been completed satisfactorily, applicants can be attested into the RDF. This process invloves swearing, or declaring an oath, and then signing a copy of the oath. At this stage the applicant is a member of the Reserve Defence Forces, and is issued with an army number and uniform over the next few weeks.

The Oath

Mionnaímse (nó dearbhaímse), <ainm>, go solamanta go mbead dílis d’Eirinn agus tairiseach don Bhunreacht agus, faid a bhead im chomhalta de na hOglaigh Cúltaca, go gcomhlíonfad gach ordú dleathach a bhé arfas m’oifigigh uachtaracha dhom agus nach gceanglód le haon chumann rúnda ar bith ná nach mbead im chomhalta den chéanna ná nach dtaobhód leis an gcéanna.

I, <name>, do solemnly swear (or declare) that I will be faithful to Ireland and loyal to the Constitution and that while I am a member of the Reserve Defence Force I will obey all lawful orders issued to me by my superior officers and will not join or be a member of or subscribe to an secret society whatsoever.

Advertisement