Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hippopotamus

• 29-01-2008 10:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭

I just finished it and thought I'd share that the titular novel by Stephen Fry is probably one of the best works of modern times.

Utterly brilliant, completely unafraid and quite suitable subject matter for the patrons of this forum.*

I reccomend anyone to pick it up and give it a read, or if you are lazy you can get it as an audiobook read by the author.

*The inevitable Christians disagreeing with authors lifestyle excluded.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

Hmmm... Haven't read that one but 'Paperweight' is pretty good. It's a collection of Fry's essays, columns and other small bits and has his play 'Latin or Tobacco and Boys' at the back.

'The Liar' was a great read too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

I enjoyed "The Liar" and unfortuantely I only have a broken audio version of "The Tennis Platers Balls" but I find that the Hippopotamus is his best work so far.

The humorous takes on some of his contemporaries are both skewering and warmly flattering. Clear references to Julien Clary are of course the most obvious.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I really enjoyed his debate with Hitchens that someone posted awhile back.
    http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/culturevulture/Blasphemy.mp3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

5uspect wrote: »
    I really enjoyed his debate with Hitchens that someone posted awhile back.
    /goes in search of it...

Fry got into it with Hitchens? Thats a little odd. Fry is himself and avowed disbeliever. I can't remember if he is a humanist or just a plain old atheist though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I use the word debate loosely!

• Advertisement
Advertisement