Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Downgrade power?

• 29-01-2008 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Is there any way you can downgrade the power on a gun? I was looking at a Jing Gong M16 and it has a power of 360fps and with .2g bb's that means it would be 1.2 joules. Is there any way to reduce the power?...apart from using lighter bb's...:confused:

This is the gun I was looking at. Does it look any good to you experts? :D
    http://www.rsov.com/product_reviews_info.php?products_id=337&reviews_id=56

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,325 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Tspoon wrote: »
    Is there any way you can downgrade the power on a gun? I was looking at a Jing Gong M16 and it has a power of 360fps and with .2g bb's that means it would be 1.2 joules. Is there any way to reduce the power?...apart from using lighter bb's...:confused:

This is the gun I was looking at. Does it look any good to you experts? :D
    http://www.rsov.com/product_reviews_info.php?products_id=337&reviews_id=56

That is a myth. If it's 1.2 joules with one type of bb, it will be 1.2 joules with any other bb.

The supplier should be able to downgrade it for you before shipping. Who were you going to order it from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Using lighter BB's does not reduce power... You could ask them to downgrade it but i don't know if RSOV do downgrades...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tonyj_mc

send RSOV a mail see if he'll do it beofre, you can't import a aeg with an fps over 328 using .2 or 1 joule of energy, the joule is the most important bit. if its over this its illegal.

as far as i know keith in rsov is norammly ok, its just a mater of changing a spring

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tspoon

well according to that website...which was on the newbie help in this forum...
    changing the size of the bullet does change the joule output:confused:

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/?filnavn=//articles/fps_limits/fps_calc.htm

I was going to get it from rsov. I'll ask him about it and see what happens. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

would lighter bb's not make it faster? :confused:

:cool::cool::cool:

• Advertisement

I was going to get it from rsov. I'll ask him about it and see what happens. Thanks

yeah but the guards will test it with a .2g bb and it will be over

can't think of the words to descirbe it but 1 joule of energy is the same regardless of the weight of the bb, if the weight get higher the fps goes lower and vice versa, but its still one joule of energy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Lighter BB's will fire at a higher FPS

Changing BB weight will NOT make it legal.

zero19 wrote: »
    Lighter BB's will fire at a higher FPS

i was right! YES! :p

Ok thanks!:D
    Anyone know what email to write though? I cant seem to find one on the website :(

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

blay1 wrote: »
    yeah but the guards will test it with a .2g bb and it will be over

Not necessarily. Even if they were to test it with a .12g it would be over. Maybe their chronograph just shows the power in joules and not fps?

Basically, if something is over 1 joule, it will always be over 1 joule until modified with a new spring.

Ok thanks!:D
    Anyone know what email to write though? I cant seem to find one on the website :(

try enquiry@hk-knd.com its in one of their annocments

o1s1n wrote: »
    Not necessarily. Even if they were to test it with a .12g it would be over. Maybe their chronograph just shows the power in joules and not fps?

yeah, good point

o1s1n, everytime you reply to my posts you give me something to

ponder! :D

Master of the Universe

blay1 wrote: »
    true,

o1s1n, everytime you reply to my posts you give me something to

ponder! :D

Just trying to educate the younger generation ;)

I found this on the Irish airsoft forums about whats legal and not

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/5527/fpsgraphri5.jpg

its a graph that shows th weights of pellet and the joule output given by using each different type...now im just confused:confused: lol

its a graph that shows th weights of pellet and the joule output given by using each different type...now im just confused:confused: lol

thats just a comparison to the weights, it gives you a rough indication of the fps with diffrent weights, thats all. Rule of thumb is most sites use .2bb to test so if its over 328, its over 1 joule

Master of the Universe

Theres a newbie thread here which explains it.

1 joule is the limit.

The standard weight of measurement uses a 2g bb.

1 joule with a .2g bb is 328fps.

That is the standard.

If you use a .12g bb (lighter) the fps will be higher as the bb is lighter and able to go farther. It will still be a joule though.

According to sparks though...

One Joule is NOT 328 feet per second.

A Joule is a measure of energy, not speed.

Half the mass of the BB times its velocity squared gives the kinetic energy, and this must be less than one joule.

u5l1c1.gif

...This would mean that the weight of the bb would influence the joule output...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ok, the energy is: half the mass x velocity squared. This means that heavy bbs may go slower but they have a lager mass. On the other hand, lighter ones go faster, but are lighter, still equaling the same energy. Thats why ball bearing wont work, they will barely leave the barrell with super high weights but super low speeds.

Understand?

Master of the Universe

According to sparks though...

One Joule is NOT 328 feet per second.

A Joule is a measure of energy, not speed.

Half the mass of the BB times its velocity squared gives the kinetic energy, and this must be less than one joule.

u5l1c1.gif

...This would mean that the weight of the bb would influence the joule output...

The bb weight influences the distance it will travel. The joule output is dictated by the strength of the spring.

• Advertisement

you cant argue around this law! its pretty simple- dont buy anything over 1

joule and your grand! thats the way it is and we all have to live by that

ok Ill take your word for it:cool: lol

In other words:

1 Joule = .12g at 425 = .2g at 328 = .3 at 275................ = .9g at 155. All the same energy output.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭N.O.I.P.

Referring to the power output of an airsoft device in FPS can be misleading. The law in Ireland states that in order for an airsoft device to be legal it MUST have a muzzle power of less than 1Joule.

Think of it in terms of a car engine. The maximum amount of power a engine can produce is fixed ie: bar modification a 100HP engine will remain a 100HP engine.

If this engine is placed in a very light chassis you will have a very fast very light car.

If you use the exact same engine in a heavier car, the car will be slower.

Applying this principle to Airsoft devices you find that a 1Joule rifle will fire a .20g BB at a particular speed (328fps) and a lighter BB at a higher rate of speed. At all times the power output of the rifle remains the same. Therefore if a rifle is firing a .20g BB at over 1Joule it will still be over 1Joule when firing lighter BBs (The lighter BBs will just move faster)

EDIT: Took my time writing that and it seems I was beaten to the punch a few times:D
    Ah well hopefully it explains things clearly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Weight of BB influences velocity not energy. Energy cannot be created or destroyed according to Newtons Law, therefore the only way to increase or decrease the energy is by applying more energy to the BB from the initial of the reaction, in this case, the piston.

Hence why people change piston springs to increase/decrease the power in an aeg. We don't use .2g rounds for the heck of it.

N.O.I.P. wrote: »
    Think of it in terms of a car engine. The maximum amount of power a engine can produce is fixed ie: bar modification a 100HP engine will remain a 100HP engine.

If this engine is placed in a very light chassis you will have a very fast very light car.

Someone sticky that and give him a prize. That's the best metaphorical description of the reaction I've yet to read. My brother read that and he suddenly got why using my .25g's won't mean diddly squat in energy difference to running his .2g's

N.O.I.P. wrote: »
    Referring to the power output of an airsoft device in FPS can be misleading. The law in Ireland states that in order for an airsoft device to be legal it MUST have a muzzle power of less than 1Joule.

Applying this principle to Airsoft devices you find that a 1Joule rifle will fire a .20g BB at a particular speed (328fps) and a lighter BB at a higher rate of speed. At all times the power output of the rifle remains the same. Therefore if a rifle is firing a .20g BB at over 1Joule it will still be over 1Joule when firing lighter BBs (The lighter BBs will just move faster)

EDIT: Took my time writing that and it seems I was beaten to the punch a few times:D
    Ah well hopefully it explains things clearly

Good Job. Must remember that for if i need to explain it again.

Second the motion to stickie that.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

NakedDex wrote: »
    Someone sticky that and give him a prize. That's the best metaphorical description of the reaction I've yet to read. My brother read that and he suddenly got why using my .25g's won't mean diddly squat in energy difference to running his .2g's

Added to the newbie stickie

*** Pats N.O.I.P. on the back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mark_Sc

Velocity DOES NOT equal power

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭N.O.I.P.

kdouglas wrote: »
    Added to the newbie stickie

*** Pats N.O.I.P. on the back

Victory!!!!!!!

*Clears cookies so no-one can find the website I stole that from*

• Advertisement
Advertisement