Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Explain the logic of moving the foxhunting thread to shooting, please?

Options
  • 29-01-2008 11:09pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭

[rant]

I mean, that's fine. Shooting is a rural passtime, which is highly unpopular amongst many of the city folk who haven't a clue what the sport is about. Just like most city folk look down on fox hunting though they know little about it.

I am at something of a loss to understand how a thread about the politics/humanity/foxanity of riding around on a horse, in the open countryside, letting hounds tear a cute little cuddly foxxy-woxxy to pieces with their teeth didn't end up in Equestrian, Humanities, Outdoor Pursuits, Farming & Forestry, Politics or Animals & Pet Issues. Foxhounds lack trigger fingers.

[/rant]

I now return you to your regularly scheduled service

NTM
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I like you Manic Moran so I'll give you some advice on this thread which may help it say the path.

1) Link to the thread in question
    2) Avoid comments directly relating to the original topics content, as this is feedback and not a place to trash out locked threads.
    3) Pm'ing a moderator will more then likely get your answers a lot quicker then posting here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Hold on, you're complaining because a thread about Fox hunting was moved (not locked) to the hunting forum...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Are you talking about the thread that's still active in AH?

Yeah, the Hunting forum is a sub-forum of Shooting. Is the issue that it's in a sub-forum of Shooting or did you misread the forum title?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055226163 I assume.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

My issue is that the subject matter is highly controversial, and has absolutely nothing to do with shooting that I am aware of, a controversial sport which has publicity problems of its own to deal with without borrowing others.

If the 'hunting' forum is supposed to be a general-purpose forum related to all manners of killing countryside critters regardless of method (Hunting animal, firearm, bow and arrow, trapping), I submit that it should be under 'Outdoor Pursuits' which is precisely where you will find magazines dedicated to the subject in the newsagent (eg "Outdoor Life Magazine"). Up until now, I have seen nothing to state that the "Hunting" subforum of the "shooting" forum was not simply a way of dividing posts on the practical side of shooting from the target side.
    1) Link to the thread in question
    Apologies. It was indeed the one linked to above.
    3) Pm'ing a moderator will more then likely get your answers a lot quicker then posting here.
    Fair enough, but it's not a matter of life or death, nor an inquisition or a demand for action. (I'd be much more polite, then!) This is feedback, pure and simple. The rant tags should indicate some tongue-in-cheekness, though I still object!

[ETA: I'm allergic to cats]

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

If you are allergic to cats this would be a good time to mention it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Oh dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

oh dear.

i just moved another fox hunting thread into the hunting forum.

i wonder was it the same one?

seems more at home there than anywhere else

My issue is that the subject matter is highly controversial, and has absolutely nothing to do with shooting that I am aware of, a controversial sport which has publicity problems of its own to deal with without borrowing others.

If the 'hunting' forum is supposed to be a general-purpose forum related to all manners of killing countryside critters regardless of method (Hunting animal, firearm, bow and arrow, trapping), I submit that it should be under 'Outdoor Pursuits' which is precisely where you will find magazines dedicated to the subject in the newsagent (eg "Outdoor Life Magazine"). Up until now, I have seen nothing to state that the "Hunting" subforum of the "shooting" forum was not simply a way of dividing posts on the practical side of shooting from the target side.

Apologies. It was indeed the one linked to above.

Fair enough, but it's not a matter of life or death, nor an inquisition or a demand for action. (I'd be much more polite, then!) This is feedback, pure and simple. The rant tags should indicate some tongue-in-cheekness, though I still object!

[ETA: I'm allergic to cats]

NTM
    sounds like a case of forum snobbery to me.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Foxhunting.

Fox hunting

Fox hunting.

I must be missing something here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

Its seems very one sided to move these threads to hunting where anyone against hunting is usually very outnumbered whereas AH has more of a chance of getting a more diverse group of posters,

CuLT wrote: »
    Foxhunting.

Fox hunting

Fox hunting.

But these threads aren't asking advice on fox hunting their debating a ban.

whats wrong with that?

is the hunting forum so strict that you can only post there if you are asking or answering a question?

are the hunters of this world against debates or discussion or something?
    seriously, i completely fail to see what the problem is
    Its seems very one sided to move these threads to hunting where anyone against hunting is usually very outnumbered whereas AH has more of a chance of getting a more diverse group of posters,

im not sure i get your point.

its one sided to move these threads? what does that mean? you think it should go in AH becuase youre worried that there will be too many pro hunters in the hunting forum, and will overwhelm the poor anti-hunting people? how, humane, of you.

seriously though, so much hassle over having some threads moved into the forum. get over it.

Well I guess theres no need to ask if your for or against a ban.
    Of course its unfair to put a hunting ban debate in a forum where almost everyone is pro hunting.
    Theres no chance of it been fair, if anything move it to humanities.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

gerky wrote: »
    But these threads aren't asking advice on fox hunting their debating a ban.

A while back in the poker forum we had loads of threads about a Government move to ban poker clubs,strictly speaking the threads could have been moved to the Politics forum but they were not.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If its a debate on the ethics / morality of hunting then it should probably go into Humanities.

I'll review it and move it there now...

Another typical case of feedback not working. :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Hagar wrote: »
    If you are allergic to cats this would be a good time to mention it.

Took me a moment or two to get it..

but... ha ha win.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yeah, the difference here is that they arent really talking about what gun is best to shoot foxes with and in fact mostly its the horses&hounds brigade that are involved, guns dont really come into it in the way that they would in, say, deer-hunting.

Moved to Humanities where I bet it gets locked shortly as everyone seems to be entrenched and not listening to each other.

DeV.

Huzzah! Probably best that no-one suggested it be moved to Fashion & Appearance too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

CuLT wrote: »
    Foxhunting.

Fox hunting

Fox hunting.

Yes, obviously it belongs in personal issues! :rolleyes:
    Its fox hunting so it belongs in hunting forum!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

No It doesn't.

Hunting is a sub forum of shooting, for hunting with oooh let me guess Firearms, not horses and hounds.

gerky wrote: »
    Well I guess theres no need to ask if your for or against a ban.

why? you have no idea what my thoughts on fox hunting are.

perhas you could try answering the questions youre asked instead of dodging them and trying to be a bit smart.

which you are not.

why? you have no idea what my thoughts on fox hunting are.

perhas you could try answering the questions youre asked instead of dodging them and trying to be a bit smart.

which you are not.

I said I guess because from your remarks in your posts it seems your a little one sided and if your not I apologize.

I thought I covered it in my last post but if I didn't I'll try again.

I don't believe a hunting ban debate would get a fair chance in a hunting forum because almost everyone posting would be in favor of hunting and yes in general pro hunters in a hunting forum don't tend to give people against hunting much of a chance.

funny, the hunters dont want it there either. One has been moved to humanities and the other to Politics which is the best place for them I think.

DeV.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

/pulls hair out

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭fits

oscarBravo wrote: »
    /pulls hair out

:D

How did we get away with this one! I hate those threads.

DeVore wrote: »
    funny, the hunters dont want it there either.

/irony

Advertisement