Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesel - now good enough for a Rolls Royce?

Options
  • 29-01-2008 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭

I'm not making this up, and there is nothing official of course yet, but there is a rumour doing the rounds on Autocar that Rolls Royce are even considering such a possibility for the so called "baby Roller", which won't be a proper Roller anyway because it's going to be based on the F01/F02 BMW 7 series(the next generation 7 series) but that's neither here nor there.

What do ye think of a diesel Rolls Royce? Is there anything that won't have diesel power soon enough, considering that there have been more than a few hot hatches/sports coupés and even convertibles shown recently with diesel, everyone expects that Audi will be making the world's first diesel supercar in 2 years time, and now for seriously posh saloons as well?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think a hybrid would be more appropriate for Rolls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

About time too. Now a RR will have a sporting chance of getting 25mpg...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭farva

Nowdays people's perceptions of diesels have changed, they are much more "acceptable", you arent seen as a tight arse or a farmer if you drive a diesel anymore. I guess thats due to many high preformance diesels (BMW 535d, Audi R8 V12 TDI...) and diesels far more refined and efficient than they used to be.

I suppose a Phantom would benifit from the effortless torque of a big twin turbo V8 or V12 oil burner, but if I had €500k+ to spend on a luxury car, refinement would be quite high on my priorities and I'd probably go for the petrol. I don't think that fuel economy if going to be much of an issue for a Phantom owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Maybe I'm being a bit anal but does anyone who spends a couple of hundred grand on a RR really care about it's average MPG? RR is all about refinement so while diesels have come along way they are still not as refined as a petrol unit imo.

Sounds to me like RR are wilting to the current PC brigade. What next a hybrid Veyron?

Will it be an variation of the current BMW 3.0 litre twin turbo, I wonder or are BMW working on a V8/V10 diesel lump?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'm also sceptical to put it mildly. Fuel consumption of either 5MPG or 25MPG makes no material difference in the total cost of ownership for the vast majority of people who buy a new RR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The only advantage I can see to diesel is a longer range.

I doubt it. One of Rolls Royce's claimes is that the loudest thing in their car at 100mph is the clock ticking.

There is something not quite rolls royce about a loud diesel engine spewing black smoke.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Porsches, Ferraris, Rollers, Bentleys, Lambos.

None of the above should be available with a diesel. No, just no.

There's rumours that the Porker Panamera (and Cayenne) are to get a hybrid option, for some ungodly reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

ronoc wrote: »
    I doubt it. One of Rolls Royce's claimes is that the loudest thing in their car at 100mph is the clock ticking.

Just like my old Civic - NOT! :D

That just sounds so sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Having a diesel in a Rolls Royce to be seen to reduce your Carbon footprint is akin to people voting for FF in the general election and then "punishing" them in the local elections but putting them back in again at the next general election.

It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Completely down to how they configure the engine, saying diesel is not "Refined" is along the lines of saying a Bok Beer is superior to a Trappist beer.

At the end of the day fuel is fuel, if it burns you can design it around the characteristics of the fuel

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

craichoe wrote: »
    Completely down to how they configure the engine, saying diesel is not "Refined" is along the lines of saying a Bok Beer is superior to a Trappist beer.

At the end of the day fuel is fuel, if it burns you can design it around the characteristics of the fuel
    Not really, diesels are still louder than, and vibrate more than, petrols.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I have travelled(though not driven, so I don't know how they are through the pedals etc) in a few posh diesels(Range Rover and as recently as the weekend a07 E65 730d) and there is no mistaking at idle even when warm what fuel is under the bonnet. And I don't mean standing next to one, I mean sitting in one with the windows closed etc. At part throttle only someone who knows the number of cylinders an engine has just by hearing it would know it was diesel, and there is too much diesel straight 6 noise would the driver puts the foot a good bit down the accelerator(especially the Range Rover, I hear far too much diesel in it).

Though the 730d will put yourself firmly into the back of the seat if you open the taps, so I'm not doubting the performance aspect of a diesel Roller at all, what I am very much doubting is the refinement of a diesel, because those other posh machines I mentioned have plenty of diesel noise in them, and refinement is surely a big part of 7 series or Range Rover ownership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

E92 wrote: »
    and refinement is surely a big part of 7 series or Range Rover ownership.
    Roller buyers are not in the class as buyers of 7 series or Range Rovers.
    Diesel (or petrol) 7 series or Range Rovers are in the same refinement class as Rollers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Wonder if ferrari would ever consider a diesel engine?!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

land9 wrote: »
    Wonder if ferrari would ever consider a diesel engine?!

Read recently they are thinking of entering the SUV market with a Porsche Cayenne competitor:
    [URL="javascript:self.close();"]car_photo_235992_25.jpg[/URL]

I hope they don't go down this road (excuse the pun). Ferrari and SUV should not be allowed in the same sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Looks like an overweight 612 - bleugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

bazz26 wrote: »
    Ferrari and SUV should not be allowed in the same sentence.

Agreed. If Ferrari did that, they would be even more "me too" than Porsche which already has its horrible Cayennyrichmummy Turbo S :rolleyes:

That said, Lamborghini had its SUV back in the day, but its saving grace was that it is manly and I think it never carried any passengers (children). Someone told me there is proof it was never driven by a woman either :D

Advertisement