Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An XP skin for vista

• 30-01-2008 12:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

Hey ya'll. After trying both XP and Vista all I can say is that the vista interface is incredably crap.

However, since there seems to be no support for XP 64 (and I have my reasons for wanting a 64bit OS) I feel compelled to upgrade to vista64.

Does anyone know of a way to place an XP UI onto a vista OS system?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

You can always turn off the Aero stuff, and run it with the Windows Classic theme...

dulpit wrote: »
    You can always turn off the Aero stuff, and run it with the Windows Classic theme...
    You still end up with the Vista interface though, just it looks like Windows 2000. Still has everything in strange places.

I even tried disabling everything to see if I could get it to look like Windows 95 - no dice. With XP and earlier you can get it pretty close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Yeah the 9x interface is good for speed but I like the cosy XP one :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Leman_Russ wrote: »
    Yeah the 9x interface is good for speed but I like the cosy XP one :)
    don't forget the 95 interface is far faster than the 98 one, but you miss being able to right click, with 98 lite you could use the windows 95 shell on windows 98 , noticeable faster.
    On 95/NT4 you could set shell=progman.exe and go back to the windows 3.x interface.

Point is most people seem to prefer the older interfaces that they are used to unless there are major improvements. I appreciate the way 2003 server didn't use Luna. The shell I'd love would be compiz-fusion / beryl but that's a totally different animal :(

Point is most people seem to prefer the older interfaces that they are used to unless there are major improvements.
    I was trying to use Vista's search system in work today to find a serial number and it just wouldn't work for me. It seems to rely too much on indexing, the files are on a network drive so can't be indexed. I ended up using a third party app to do the search which worked as I expected it to. But the in-built search has been crippled since XP anyway, couldn't beat the old Windows 95 Find.

So that's something I see as a major downgrade. As is the inability to drag and drop at a command prompt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I have a WinXP skin on Vista using WindowBlinds and the classic taskbar option - much better. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

HavoK wrote: »
    I have a WinXP skin on Vista using WindowBlinds and the classic taskbar option - much better. :)

Does it fix the Start menu also?

If it does I may have to look into it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

No it's an XP skin, and I just use the classic control bar within Vista - so it looks like Win2K.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Karsini wrote: »
    I was trying to use Vista's search system in work today to find a serial number and it just wouldn't work for me. It seems to rely too much on indexing, the files are on a network drive so can't be indexed. I ended up using a third party app to do the search which worked as I expected it to. But the in-built search has been crippled since XP anyway, couldn't beat the old Windows 95 Find.

So that's something I see as a major downgrade. As is the inability to drag and drop at a command prompt.

You know in advanced search options you can make it search non indexed files and folders...

Advertisement