Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driver side impacts my (parked) car and moves it 45+ degrees

Options
  • 30-01-2008 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

A driver side impacts my (parked) car in private underground and moves it 45+ degrees. Its a Diesel so that was a heavy car to move.
    The driver left a note to contact him and “in really sorry” on it
    He said he has an auto car and he hit the acc instead of the brake.
    I think he is a learner - 23 years old. Just as well it wasnt a pedestrian crossing.

I later met up with him and he signed a note confirming he was 100% to blame.
    Have a photocopy of his insurance as well.
    Police called and details taken. No one injured sh1t happens.

Next what to do.

Of greatest concern is to see if the chassis has been warped.
    He didn’t hit the front tyre but the left front wing is fcuked.
    The right wing and bonnet (the opp wing) don’t appear to be aligned 100%
    The bumper is warped enough to merit replacing.
    Both front lights are not smashed but apper to have moved.

It’s a Skoda Octavia Diesel - Ive had it all of two weeks – arse.

Does anyone know a garage that can lazer check a chassis?
    Should I get a Skoda garage to do it?

Will there be a note carcheck to say the car was crashed if I ever sell it or is that only for write offs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

worded wrote: »

Does anyone know a garage that can lazer check a chassis?
    Should I get a Skoda garage to do it?
    I would definatly take it to a main dealer if his insurance is paying for it. Is the car drivable?
    Have you looked under the car? are the door sills bent in?

Will there be a note carcheck to say the car was crashed if I ever sell it or is that only for write offs?

I think your meant to tell any prospective buyers that it was in an accident anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

the almost same thing happend me a=over christmas... it was a skoka octavia aswell :)

but they drove away..... caught them tho :) (they parked in teh same car park)

anyway i rang there insurance company and they sorted out everything... gave me a rental car, towed the car away... but told me yesterday that they are going to right it off :( as its cheeper to pay out than fix it...

ring there insurance with there policy number and they will do the rest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

I can still drive it

I would like to get the chassis checked and if ok, get a quote or two.
    I don’t need a hired car and don’t want to screw the poor unfortunate.

Bit I want the car back in the same way I got it two weeks ago.

At what point is car a writ off. Like its worth 6.8K so if it X? its a write off.

Will it cost $ to get the chassis lazer checked?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

sorry mine had damage also to a drive shaft so wouldent drive... basicly if its more to fix your car than its worth they will write it off...

no idea on fixing cars tho.... not my field ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Senna wrote: »
    I would definatly take it to a main dealer if his insurance is paying for it.
    Whatever you do, don't do that. A good independent bodyshop will repair the car properly, a main dealer will most likely make a mess of it.

• Advertisement

Is there a way to check if the chassis is ever so slightly warped as it was hit very hard on the side (wheels not hit)

How to find a very good crash repair place ........ city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Its unlikely that the chassis has bent at all. Most likely is that the impact on one side caused the fron panel, the one that the lights are mounted to, to travel sideways and hence you opposing wing looks like its moved and your lights have moved.

Dont worry just get it to a decent bodyshop, the insurance company will most likely recommend one.

Its an insurance matter so just let them deal with it. When its repaired just get someone you know and trust to take a good luck at it before you sign the satisfaction note.

Do I have to let my ins co know there was a crash if Im def not going to claim off them. The crasher has given me a signed note admitting liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Ring your insurance company.
    Their assessor will come out and inspect the vehicle. If the cost to repair is more than 50% of the market value of the car, then it will be written off.

If you are not happy with the inspectors report, you are entitled to have the car inspected at an official Skoda garage, and you can contest the inspectors report if you wish.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Are you a relation of Cormie? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

prospect wrote: »
    Ring your insurance company.
    Their assessor will come out and inspect the vehicle. If the cost to repair is more than 50% of the market value of the car, then it will be written off.

I'm not saying you're wrong (because I don't know) but why would the insurance company do this? What you're saying is that if the cost to repair the car is 60% the cost of the car, they will give you 100% the cost of the car and not repair it? Therefore the insurance company is paying out 66% more than the need to! Doesn't make business sense at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

bman wrote: »
    I'm not saying you're wrong (because I don't know) but why would the insurance company do this? What you're saying is that if the cost to repair the car is 60% the cost of the car, they will give you 100% the cost of the car and not repair it? Therefore the insurance company is paying out 66% more than the need to! Doesn't make business sense at all!

Dunno,

Maybe it is a legal thing? But if the cost to repair the vehicle is more than 50% of the market value then you receive the market value.

Heres the latest.

A Skoda garage quote is a whopping 5.4 K as there is major damage to several parts when it was put on a rack. The chassis legs have to be straightened etc

Im told the retail value of the car is 7K.
    Im also told that the insurance co will give approx 15% of the quote to me as the car is depreciated after the crash.

There is a valuer due to inspect the damage and Im getting a hired car tomorrow.

If I insist I want the car repaired the insurance co will not write the car off Im told.
    It will take me too long to find another car like it, I spent ages looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

Do I have to let my ins co know there was a crash if Im def not going to claim off them. The crasher has given me a signed note admitting liability.

I don't see what harm there would be in letting your insurance company know - its not as if they're going to hold it against you that someone else crashed into your parked car.

Also surely its his insurance company that should be dealing with this. Why would your insurance need to get involved at all? He caused the damage, the bare legal minimum he should have is 3rd party which he should now be using to take care of this.

Unless I missed something?

Edit: Sorry I read over your posts a bit too quickly the first time around. Just read you saying you didn't want to screw the guy over. Thats pretty sound of you but in fairness if there was chassis damage I would be hoping that the car would be written off.

I'm sure body shop repairs can be good but knowing you're driving a car a which may have its structural integrity compromised in addition to having to inform potential buyers later on that it was in a crash would be a big price to pay.

GB15 wrote: »
    I don't see what harm there would be in letting your insurance company know - its not as if they're going to hold it against you that someone else crashed into your parked car.

.>>>> They dont need to know. It doesnt affect them.

Also surely its his insurance company that should be dealing with this. Why would your insurance need to get involved at all? He caused the damage, the bare legal minimum he should have is 3rd party which he should now be using to take care of this.

Unless I missed something?

>>>>> Having got a quote now and agreed its over his cash threshold, we have agreed to go through his insurance. They have been contacted.

Edit: Sorry I read over your posts a bit too quickly the first time around. Just read you saying you didn't want to screw the guy over. Thats pretty sound of you but in fairness if there was chassis damage I would be hoping that the car would be written off.

>>>>> Its the chassis "legs" which can be re aligned Im told. Its planned to be done with a Skoda main dealer. They wouldnt do it unless it was cool to do so I trust.

I'm sure body shop repairs can be good but knowing you're driving a car a which may have its structural integrity compromised in addition to having to inform potential buyers later on that it was in a crash would be a big price to pay.

>>>>>> I paid 6.7 for her 2 weeks ago. Was a long search for a beautiful, low mileage car. I plan to keep her for a few years. So all told I think it will be worth it, I hope.

Anyones thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

I think there may be two things here. With regards to not wanting to cause the guy that caused it any unnecessary expense I don't think this is an issue. As the cost to repair it is running into thousands I'm assuming the guy is not going to fork out for it himself. He will have to use his insurance and I'm pretty sure whatever you save his insurance company will have negligible effect on his renewal quote.

The other thing is whether to repair the car or cut your losses and replace it. I'd personally replace it if I could but having said that I understand the frustration of looking for a car for a long time - its not easy to let go of it.

A possible solution would be to let his insurance company pay out for the car as a write off. You could then offer to buy the car back off his insurance company and fix it through an independent body shop. You may even end up with some cash to spare.

GB15 wrote: »
    I think there may be two things here. With regards to not wanting to cause the guy that caused it any unnecessary expense I don't think this is an issue. As the cost to repair it is running into thousands I'm assuming the guy is not going to fork out for it himself. He will have to use his insurance and I'm pretty sure whatever you save his insurance company will have negligible effect on his renewal quote.

The other thing is whether to repair the car or cut your losses and replace it. I'd personally replace it if I could but having said that I understand the frustration of looking for a car for a long time - its not easy to let go of it.

A possible solution would be to let his insurance company pay out for the car as a write off. You could then offer to buy the car back off his insurance company and fix it through an independent body shop. You may even end up with some cash to spare.

> We have agreed insurance not cash
    > I may get 15% of the quote for depreciation of the car. (from the ins co I hear)

Write off. I wonder what they would offer to sell it back to me for?

Repairs - there is a long list of parts needed and its a serious repair job.
    I really think a Skoda dealer could do the best job for me. Pricey but hopefully an excellent job.

All going well I will use the car for 3 years, perhaps more and sell it after that. I think I will get a run for my money. I know its a Skoda Octavia but its a pristine one.

Advertisement