Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good pub for first date drink?

Options
  • 30-01-2008 12:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Preferably near enough to trinity. Thing is it'll be a friday, so I reckon somewhere not too loud or packed and where we can sit down.

I had thought of Mahaffy's on Pearse st, but it's a bit dark, not really our crowd and the staff are often tossers.

What do ye think of the Longstone on townsend st. Would that be packed?

So any recommendations?

We're both mid twenties btw.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Harvey Nichols cocktail bar (get the LUAS)

Ely Bar, Ely Place.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Skitbra

Just to let you know Mahaffy's is closed for renovation for the next couple of weeks. Sometimes it's better to go somewhere big so you can get seats. So what about cafe en seine or even 4 dame lane shouldn't be too full and they have comfy couches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Panicked

rediguana wrote: »
    Ely Bar, Ely Place.
    I'm mostly a beer drinker. I think she is too but if I'm mistaken I'll probably bring her there, thanks.
    Skitbra wrote:
    Just to let you know Mahaffy's is closed for renovation for the next couple of weeks. Sometimes it's better to go somewhere big so you can get seats. So what about cafe en seine or even 4 dame lane shouldn't be too full and they have comfy couches.
    Cheers on the mahaffy's tip, may have avoided some embarrassment there. I've never been to 4 dame lane before, but was in cafe en seine and you're right it wasn't too jammers.

Also we're both students, so wallets are humbly endowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

What about what is now O'Donoghues on Suffolk Street, used to be The Thing Mote. Used to go there with an ex all the time, upstairs on a Friday evening was never too busy. Was in there a couple of months though and it was jammers on a Saturday. Trying to avoid the work crowd on the first Friday of the month is going to be difficult to be honest. Not sure how busy the bank on dame st is on a friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Ciaran B

Panicked wrote: »
    Preferably near enough to trinity. Thing is it'll be a friday, so I reckon somewhere not too loud or packed and where we can sit down.

I had thought of Mahaffy's on Pearse st, but it's a bit dark, not really our crowd and the staff are often tossers.

What do ye think of the Longstone on townsend st. Would that be packed?

So any recommendations?

We're both mid twenties btw.

The Long Stone can get jammers by 18.00 on a Friday with the post work crowd but if you get a seat it’s a good spot.

Alternatively Mulligans around the corner is a good option but like the ‘Stone it can be fairly busy on a Friday evening. Also The Palace on Fleet St. is a nice pub for a pint.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 TommyShannon

O'Neill's on Pearse Street beside the Trinity Lounge is a top notch boozer for Friday scoops. The "after work" crowd normally start emptying out between 7pm and 8pm and the chances of a seat are high, they have a good quality bar menu in place until 9pm aswell. If your a Guinness drinker their pints are the best in Dublin City Centre imo. Enjoy your night out anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Anywhere in the general Pearse St area is good, O'Neills, the Long Stone, MacTurcaills and even Chaplins on Hawkin's Street (beside Screen) are all good for a quiet pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

why not cross the liffey and venture north side?

The pubs on capel st usually aren't as busy as south of the liffey

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The refurbished Lincoln's Inn - never seems too crowded when I pass it and it's a nice place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

The Market Bar of Georges St. No loud music so you'll be able to hear each other!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

also hogans on georges street

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

The Old Stand on Exchequer street, South William on South William Street, Dakota etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

The Flowing Tide in abbey street across from the abbey theatre is allways good for a quiet drink.it almost never gets packed and there's no blaring music or football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Degsy wrote: »
    The Flowing Tide in abbey street across from the abbey theatre is allways good for a quiet drink.it almost never gets packed and there's no blaring music or football.

yes but bring a peg and yer wellies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

The Hairy Lemon has lots of nooks and crannies. Good music, not to loud, no TV (I think) Busy enough to have enough backround noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Very close to trinity is Citibar on dame street, Good location,Quiet enough if you go upstairs..if things go good there is a night club for a bit of boogying down stairs!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭charba

Nealons (I think) on Capel Street is good. There are two floors on the ground floor there is a really nice fireplace that you can sit beside.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

The Porter House on Nasseau St (sp?). Formerly Judge Roy Beans.

Good for beer and cocktails, good food if you fancy grabbing something and it has a few nooks too. All round, 8/10 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭ergo

I've actually been on a few friday night dates recently in town

Off Grafton St

Kehoe's - busy but good if you can get a seat
    Neary's - as above, although a bit bright upstairs
    Sheehan's

O Donoghue's (formerly Thing Mote) - upstairs not too busy (but haven't been there in a couple of years)

Hairy Lemon - lots of nooks and crannies indeed
    The Long stone - not been in it in a few years but can't have changed that much

down on the quays

Sin É - great if you get in early-ish and get a nice seat

I would also go to all of the above pubs just on the beer too in a non-date sense, I suppose you need somewhere you'll get a seat so maybe get in early. And good luck!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

connundrum wrote: »
    The Porter House on Nasseau St (sp?). Formerly Judge Roy Beans.

Good for beer and cocktails, good food if you fancy grabbing something and it has a few nooks too. All round, 8/10 ;)

It is anything but quiet.It seems to be populated by Trinity heads who prefer screeching to talking.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Degsy wrote: »
    It is anything but quiet.It seems to be populated by Trinity heads who prefer screeching to talking.

i dont know i had a very belated first date there last wednesday night, i thought it was great. we got some good food, good beer and then they had an 80's night, so good music and dancing - it was a shame i had to miss work the next day though:)

Advertisement