Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League 2008

• 30-01-2008 2:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Well seems that theres no thread for this yet so:

Week 1:

Raymond Van Barneveld v Wayne Mardle
    Adrian Lewis v Terry Jenkins
    Peter Manley v John Part
    Phil Taylor v James Wade

My op,

Barneveld to beat Mardle 8-4 (or an 8-1 slaughter)
    Jenkins to beat Lewis 8-6
    Part to beat Manley 8-5
    Taylor to beat Wade 8-4

Probably be completely off in these predictions but I dont bet so ya never know.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Well after the break the players have had I expect some of them to be off their game a little bit during week one. Barney is one I expect to take a little bit to get into the league this year because he has been having a tough time of it lately.

My predictions:
    Barneveld to beat Mardle 8-5
    Jenkins to beat Lewis 8-6
    Part to beat Manley 8-4
    Wade to beat Taylor 8-6

Taylor for his first defeat in the Premier League :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

Any one know any live streams for this?

Should be a good league this year, cant wait to see how Wade fairs up each week!

Ah, I love the darts, some great matches tonight!

Raymond Van Barneveld 8 v 4 Wayne Mardle
    Adrian Lewis 8 v 5 Terry Jenkins (Jenks was 7-0 down)
    Peter Manley 7 v 7 John Part
    Phil Taylor 6 v 8 James Wade

So Taylor has lost his first Premier League match in 45 games!!

He was using new darts and couldn't hit a double!!

For anyone who wants to watch each week if you don't have sky http://ustream.tv/channel/uggla-isnt-dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Nole

Mr Moon wrote: »

For anyone who wants to watch each week if you don't have sky http://ustream.tv/channel/uggla-isnt-dave

Whats the story with this, is it just live streaming at the time of the programme or is it stored somewhere for viewing at later time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

Nole wrote: »
    Whats the story with this, is it just live streaming at the time of the programme or is it stored somewhere for viewing at later time?

Its just at the time of the programme.

• Advertisement

NeoRox wrote: »
    Its just at the time of the programme.

Is it any good?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

So I got my Taylor prediction right anyway as he loses 6-8 to Wade. I heard he wasn't on his top game but that is now sadly becoming the usual thing with Phil. Fair play to Wade for beating him and on his debut as well.

Mardle supposedly played well enough and had his chances but missed his doubles, it was a tough opener and hopefully he will improve. Fair play to Lewis for beating Jenkins, maybe he can keep up this form for the rest of the League.

Biggest surprise to me is Part not beating Manley. Part has obviously been on great form but we all know Manley is very hard to beat. I suppose both players will be pleased with the draw.

Nole wrote: »
    Is it any good?

It can be ok, depends on your connection and how many people are trying to access it.

John Part v Raymond van Barneveld
    James Wade v Terry Jenkins
    Phil Taylor v Adrian Lewis
    Peter Manley v Wayne Mardle

Some good matches tonight, looking forward to see how Taylor reacts to last weeks loss as he wont want to lose to Lewis. Part and Barneveld could be the match of the night though.

My (mostly wrong) predictions:

John Part 8-6 Raymond Barneveld
    James Wade 7-7 Terry Jenkins (or 8-5 Wade cant make up my mind on this one)
    Phil Taylor 8-4 Adrian Lewis
    Peter Manley 8-5 Wayne Mardle, depends on how both players start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

John Part 7 - 7 Raymond Barneveld
    James Wade 8 - 5 Andy Jenkins
    Phil Taylor 6 - 8 Adrian Lewis ;)
    Peter Manley 7 - 7 Wayne Mardel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Well I got one right and if it wasnt for Wade messing up I was sure it would have been two!

Anyone who saw the premier league last night must have been impressed. The final match of the night was the best by far and shows that mardle is a good choice by sky sports as their wild card entry.

He was awesome last night, and but for the unbelievable finishing of manley would have won fairly comfortably. On most of manley's legs mardle had a two dart out shot or at least a finish. There were only a couple of occasions when manley was close enough to make wayne have to make a pressure double. It was testiment to him that after every heartbraking manley double he came storming back with 180s and 140s on his own leg to win them comfortably and in doing so having a higher average than manley for most of the match.

As he said himself afterwards, " peter only missed one shot at a double, and we drew. Had he missed two I would have one". He was right. Typical bad luck he has been having in the premier league but fair play to Manley.

Mardle fan.

Jenkins v Taylor
    Barneveld v Manley
    Mardle v Part
    Lewis v Wade

Taylor, Barney, Part, Draw.

Results
    Terry Jenkins 8-5 Phil Taylor
    Raymond van Barneveld 8-4 Peter Manley
    John Part 8-6 Wayne Mardle
    Adrian Lewis 7-7 James Wade

Well deserved win by Jenkins over Taylor,could and should have been 8-4.

Barneveld got away from Manley and though he briefly came back the result never looked in doubt.

Mardle lead this one 5-2 so would have at least expected a draw if not a win but missed opportunities let Part come back and snatch the win.

Lewis played very well tonight starting with a 146 out. He looked more composed than normal and imo he should have won this match. If he stopped giving the crowd the fist after he wins a leg or gets a good score he would be even better. it looks like he's doing it as an afterthought not as a natural reaction to winning a leg or getting a good score.
    Wade played well in patches and will be glad of the draw as he was 7-5 down.

Taylor seems to be really struggling, maybe the new darts aren't quite working out for him. He is in danger of not qualifying if this form continues. Well done to Jenkins for getting his first win of the league.

Barney wins again, thats three in a row. it was always gonna be tough for Manley to stay in touch with barneys scoring ability.

Seems as if Mardle should have beaten Part but he missed his doubles. That has always been Mardles problem, he is too inconsistent. I think he needs to get practicing his doubles.

The two young lads get a draw in what looks like it was a very good game. Lewis will be disappointed he couldn't get the win. Fair play to Wade for keeping his unbeaten record going. Wade is getting better all the time imo and could easily win this tournament. i think the legs format suits him better than the sets format.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

Listening to the comments after the games it seems Taylor loves his new darts and has been hitting everything in practise but his new darts are quite thicker than his older set
    which must have an impact on his throw.
    I love Manleys all out attitude but unless he finds those high scores he will have no hope of this league and will only benefit from set matches.
    Gotta love Jenkins for never letting his head go down,the only thing I dislike abouot the PDC is Sky's overhyping of it.

John Part v James Wade
    Wayne Mardle v Adrian Lewis
    Peter Manley v Phil Taylor
    Terry Jenkins v Raymond Barneveld

My predictions:

John Part v James Wade, Wade to sneak this one 8-6

Wayne Mardle v Adrian Lewis, bit of an obvious statement but it depends on which of they players start and finish better, Lewis to win this one 8-5

Peter Manley v Phil Taylor, considering Manley's record against Taylor I cant see anything but a win for Taylor here (and he badly needs it). Taylor 8-3

Terry Jenkins v Raymond Barneveld, 7-7 or 8-6 Barneveld. Jenkins should be on a high after his great performance against Taylor last week so it should be close.

The best week so far for pure entertainment value

James Wade 8-4 John Part
    Adrian Lewis 8-6 Wayne Mardle
    Peter Manley 8-3 Phil Taylor
    Terry Jenkins 8-5 Raymond van Barneveld

Well my predictions were ****e again this week.

Good win by Wade over Part. The constant traveling seems to be getting to Part methinks.

The Lewis Mardle game ended up being a game of missed doubles for Mardle after all.

Fair play to Manley, a really good performance and a deserved 8-3 winner over Phil Taylor. Have to say though I really wish Taylor would just go back to his old gold darts and take his head out of his a*se. I know its not the darts that make the player but the darts help.

Didn't see much of the Barneveld / Jenkins game (was too busy getting sick over Taylor losing) but it looks to have been a good performance by Jenkins winning 8-5.

Yeah I think Part is struggling because of the travelling. i remeber last time that he said he wouldn't play in the Premier League again because it cost him too much time and money to travel every week. I don't know what changed his mind but he isn't the same player that won the World title. Fair play to Wade though, he has made a great start!

Seems as if MArdle is scoring well but keeps missing his doubles. If he could sort that out then he would be doing well. Time on the practice board is needed I think.

That is some win for Manley. He averaged 102 over the course of the game so you can't say it was purely because Taylor was playing bad. I must say though that his new darts are obviously not working so it makes no sense to stick with them. he just just admit that its not working out and go back to the old ones.

Great win for Jenkins to beat Barney. He must have got great confidence from beating Taylor last week and brought it into this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Great nights darts tonight to be fair

Wade is my man for the tournament and he hasnt let me down yet. playing solid without hitting his best form.

Lewis versus mardle was a good game, but both players are concentrating too much on what they do to the crowd and not enough on winning legs.

Manley destoryed taylor and love those new darts or not, he didnt even hit the scores tonight, at least against jenkins he was scoring heavily and missing doubles.

Taylor on this kind of form wont qualify for the knockout.

Jenkins is really coming into his own now and he has shown the others that the 2 big boys can be beaten back to back.

Jenkins could once again be the surprise package and make the final

Wade / Lewis .vs. Jenkins in the final anyone?

Adrian Lewis v Peter Manley
    Phil Taylor v Wayne Mardle
    James Wade v Raymond Barneveld
    John Part v Terry Jenkins

My predictions

Adrian Lewis 8-4 Peter Manley, If Lewis can sharpen up on the doubles he should be able to outscore Manley in this one.

Phil Taylor 8-4 Wayne Mardle, Crunch match this for Taylor. I think he will step it up cause its Mardle that he's playing, well hopefully.

James Wade 8-6 Raymond Barneveld, I have Wade down for the win but I'm just not sure, whatever the outcome it will be tight.

Terry Jenkins 8-5 John Part, Would like to see Part do himself justice but just cant. Jenkins is playing well and should walk this.

Lewis to be beaten 8-3 by manley, i have a feeling manley will go a few legs up early and lewis will beat himself by getting annoyed

Taylor to hammer mardle, Taylors back practising with Lewis and i think if he can get his doubles right Mardle's in trouble maybe 8-2

Wade to Pip Barney 8-6, Barney's been strong but wade has had the extra go in him at the crucial times in match, wade hasnt won a match by a mile yet, but he always kicks on at the end.

Jenkin 8 - Part 4
    Jenkins has been awesome lately, im hoping he'll continue it with a demolition job on the world champ
    Part is travelling from canada again, its his biggest mistake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 DublinDutch

Adrian Lewis v Peter Manley
    Phil Taylor v Wayne Mardle
    James Wade v Raymond Barneveld
    John Part v Terry Jenkins

Lewis-Manley 8-4
    Taylor- Mardle 8-6
    Wade- Barneveld 7-7
    Part-Jenkinks 5-8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

watchin da manley v lewis match now so cant give ya a result for it but i think the others will go this way:
    Taylor 8-4 Manley
    Wade 6-8 Barney
    Jenkins 8-3 Part
    Tink manley mite win dis last leg to make it 7 all

Manely and his poxy gamesmanship, i hate this slow walking up to the oche

undeserved it he gets this

POX - Undeserved

Manley 7 - 7 Lewis

Adrian Lewis 7-7 Peter Manley
    Phil Taylor 8-0 Wayne Mardle
    Raymond van Barneveld 8-6 James Wade
    Terry Jenkins 8-2 John Part

Lewis had his chances but Manley kept his nerve well with the finishing.

Different darts for Taylor again this week and he threw better with them. Mardle had a couple of chances to take legs but obviously didn't. From my point of view hopefully Taylor can get some sort of consistent form going now to at least make the top four. Next weeks match with Barneveld will determine a lot of his year I'd say.

Good result for Barneveld this, thought Wade would do him but Barney upped his game when it counted.

Another good performance from Terry Jenkins, Part had a good average but the premier league and traveling definitely does not help him.

Lewis should have beaten manley, it was unfortunate

Taylor was ruthless against mardle, i think he only had 4 darts at doubles the entire game and 3 of those came in 1 leg. thats a pretty ruthless streak from taylor
    The darts have been modified sightly, he'd thinned the barrel slightly and lengthened it a bit. they look more like they fit into the bed now and it was good seeing some stacking and understacking

Barney didnt look in it against wade till halfway through, wade completely could have taken all the opening exchanges. but barney looked slick through the middle part of this game and held the nerve at the end despite his doubles deserting him

Jenkins was brilliant again, 3 in a row where he's looking unstoppable
    if he holds this form he'll either win the league or at very least finish very respectibly and be a formiddable opponent to get in the knockouts

I thought Manley deserved his draw,kept his head up and got what he deserved and a great 160 checkout.Wade was off with his scoring last night, mardle isn't up to it in this league and Taylor showed why last night.Jenkins is getting better each week but his finishing was a bit off last night and the travelling for Part isn't helping his game and only showed flashes of what he is capable of.

• Advertisement

How's the table looking? Is Barney or Wade top?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 CutieCat

Barney's on top he bet Wade last Thursday

The Table, Fixtures and Results can be found here.

http://www.planetdarts.tv/page/PremierLeagueDetail/0,,10180~1209249,00.html

Wayne Mardle v James Wade
    Adrian Lewis v John Part
    Terry Jenkins v Peter Manley
    Raymond van Barneveld v Phil Taylor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Wayne Mardle v James Wade
    Adrian Lewis v John Part
    Terry Jenkins v Peter Manley
    Raymond van Barneveld v Phil Taylor

Mardle 7-7 Wade
    Lewis 6-8 Part
    Jenkins 7-7 Manley
    Barney 3-8 Taylor

Taylor outstanding... 111 average, finished it with a 167 checkout, also had a 144 and two 121s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭islandexile

Taylor was on a different planet last night. Barney was even applauding him near the end. BTW: Sid Waddell is a looney but you have got to love him:D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭pad180

fair play to sid all night he said taylor would win 8-3 and how right he was .that was one of the best iv seen from taylor .:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Stunning performance from Taylor, he has been a bit off form (by his standards) lately , good to see him hit form again.
    You could see the concentration and he seemed to be taking his time going to the oche every time and it paid off.
    League is very open this year..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭RastaRed

The power was unbelievable last night, some great finishes, looks back to his best

Well as everyone else has said a second good performance in a row from Phil Taylor, for Taylor fans lets hope this is a return to form.

Part and Lewis had a poor match with doubles being brutal at times in the match. Glad to see Part get a win though as he does not seem to be able to show his true form in the premier league.

Jenkins and Manley's game was a good one with Manley coming back from 5-2 down to get the draw.

Wade and Mardle was a strange game, Mardle taking the lead, then Wade then the draw. Wade not on top form but Mardle deserved the draw.

Apart from taylor and jenkins start to his match there was no fluency to the matches and they were hard fought,in saying that though it can't be brilliant every week.

• Advertisement

Wayne Mardle v Terry Jenkins
    James Wade v Peter Manley
    Raymond Barneveld v Adrian Lewis
    Phil Taylor v John Part

Wayne Mardle v Terry Jenkins, Both are in good form but with Mardles doubles being off Jenkins to win 8-4

James Wade v Peter Manley, If Wade hits form in this one he should win but Manley is so consistent on his doubles of late its hard to tell. Wade 8-5

Raymond Barneveld v Adrian Lewis, Draw in this one.

Phil Taylor v John Part, If Taylor holds form I cant see past him in this one. Taylor for the win 8-4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Sid Waddell better stop bumming Taylor, some annoying not to mention unprofessional.

mdwexford wrote: »
    Sid Waddell better stop bumming Taylor, some annoying not to mention unprofessional.

It is annoying and unprofessional as you say,he may be the best player in the world but there is real competition and it won't be as easy for him a in the past.

Tonights Matches

Week Eight - March 20
    The Brighton Centre
    Terry Jenkins v Adrian Lewis
    Wayne Mardle v Raymond van Barneveld
    John Part v Peter Manley
    James Wade v Phil Taylor

My Predictions
    Jenkins 8 - 5 Lewis
    Mardle 3 - 8 Barney
    Part 7 - 7 Manley
    Wade 8 - 5 Taylor

Terry Jenkins 7-7 Adrian Lewis
    Raymond Barneveld 8-3 Wayne Mardle
    John Part 8-6 Peter Manley
    Phil Taylor 8-4 James Wade

Most probably all wrong again.

Adrian Lewis 8-3 Terry Jenkins
    Wayne Mardle 8-5 Raymond Barneveld
    John Part 8-5 Peter Manley
    Phil Taylor 8-4 James Wade

Good result for Lewis, gone back to his contender darts, he played solid all the way through.

Surprised at the Mardle result but fair play to him for finally showing some of the form that he can.

Didn't see this match but it looked to be tight.

Taylor back on top of the premier league with a good performance against James Wade. Both averaged over one hundred in this one.

Manley was off form and was taking 3+ darts to finish
    Lewis was playing with real power
    For the first time this year Mardles head didn't go down and is finishing his doubles
    Sid Wadell was saying that all the players apart from Barney and Part are playing
    in tournaments at the weekend and that is why Barney isn't up to Scratch
    Wade started off poor and couldn't catch up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Did anyone see taylors 9 darter in his warm up.............wade didnt know what to do when taylor hit the finish...........id imagine he new a drumming was in store after seein that.

MBC wrote: »
    Did anyone see taylors 9 darter in his warm up.............wade didnt know what to do when taylor hit the finish...........id imagine he new a drumming was in store after seein that.

Saw that, he done all he could by smiling.

Im delighted that Mardle managed to beat Barney because now the League really is wide open. None of the players are out of it and Mardle, who is bottom, is only 2 points of a play off spot. It makes for good viewing ove rthe next few weeks. Last years tournament was pretty poor because the League wasn't very open.

Taylor really has turned things around. Looks like he just needed to get used to the new things he was trying out and now is back to his very best. Wade averaged 102 and still couldn't get close.

• Advertisement
Advertisement