Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do air bags deploy only if ignition is on? Mine didn't when crashed into while parked

Options
  • 30-01-2008 2:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

Its an Octavia 01

Was a side impact.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

I would assume that they only work with the ignition on.
    As it was a side impact, why are you worried about your airbag going off? trust me that last thing you want after being knocked sideways is then to get hit in the face with an airbag, unless you have your arm in the way, then you would probably have a broken ar too, aparently this happens quiet often.

A couple of years ago I was in a crash where the impact was side on, the airbag alomst, but fortunatlly didn't, break my forearm, but did push my fist through the windshield.

So in conclusion, airbags ... not as great as you'd think.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

most car manufactures have redesigned airbags to work when the vechicle is travelling at 15kms, the reason was that scum were hitting the bumpers of parked cars with a lump hammer, the airbag activated and the doors locks opened, thus aiding theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

As it was a side impact, why are you worried about your airbag going off? trust me that last thing you want after being knocked sideways is then to get hit in the face with an airbag, unless you have your arm in the way, then you would probably have a broken ar too, aparently this happens quiet often.
    Side/curtain airbag?;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Does an Octavia have an airbag...?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

Well no if the test last night was correct :-)
    Dub13 wrote: »
    Does an Octavia have an airbag...?:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Front airbags won't go off in a side impact, only in a front impact (+/- 30 degrees, iirc).

Only your side airbags would go off (if you have them) and only if you were hit with enough force to trigger them. Airbags only go off under a very specific set of circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭fletch

I often wondered this too as I sometimes turn off my engine at traffic lights I know take ages/level crossings. I often wondered what would happen if somebody ploughed into me while I was stopped with the engine off(key still in the igntion).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

The type of impact has a bearing on if the airbags go off or not. As has been said, airbags going off for a side impact are pretty useless hence the possible reason for them not deploying. My wife had a nasty shunt to the side in an Octavia, no airbags deployed but the fact that she walked out without so much of a scratch was testament to the strength and design of the car. The 2 doors folded but barely impeded into the cabin, thus absorbing most of the pressure and the sill along the side also bent in. Cost a good bit to fix but there was no damage to the chasis or anything else like that, all just body work.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

fletch wrote: »
    I often wondered this too as I sometimes turn off my engine at traffic lights I know take ages/level crossings. I often wondered what would happen if somebody ploughed into me while I was stopped with the engine off(key still in the igntion).

Surly this is not god for the starting moter...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

What AudiChris said OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭fletch

Dub13 wrote: »
    Surly this is not god for the starting moter...?
    Never had a starter motor go on me....fingers crossed.

Advertisement