Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desire to go back is getting stronger after 10 weeks off..

• 30-01-2008 3:09am
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I quit in November, I was smoking probably 2 packs a week but it was increasing steadily after being steady at about that for a few years...

I didnt read any books, I didnt use patches and I didn't smoke another cigarette since then. (yay! go me! :rolleyes: :))

Anyway, I live with three smokers and that doesnt really bother me either.

10 weeks on, whats really starting to bother me is being bored and thinking "what am I not doing?? what would I normally be doing now? Oh yeah, smoking. I wish I smoked again because I wouldnt be bored now".

I never really got "cravings" in the sense of really wanting the nicotene and I'm a fairly strong willed person (ok, ok, stubborn as a mule is a more accurate description) but suddenly this desire to smoke again is happening more and more often.

Is this usual? I would have thought it would fade, not get stronger...

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

It's not that you really want to smoke.
    It's more that you are looking for something to do with your spare time.

I can't (nor can anyone) tell you how to deal with the cravings. It's different for everyone.
    The only thing I can suggest is to spend more time doing something you enjoy.

I know you're a gamer, so maybe try a few new games.

I'm just really impressed that you made it so far. Kudos to you for the ten weeks and here's to another ten and so forth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Stance

DeVore wrote: »
    I quit in November, I was smoking probably 2 packs a week but it was increasing steadily after being steady at about that for a few years...

I didnt read any books, I didnt use patches and I didn't smoke another cigarette since then. (yay! go me! :rolleyes: :))

Anyway, I live with three smokers and that doesnt really bother me either.

10 weeks on, whats really starting to bother me is being bored and thinking "what am I not doing?? what would I normally be doing now? Oh yeah, smoking. I wish I smoked again because I wouldnt be bored now".

I never really got "cravings" in the sense of really wanting the nicotene and I'm a fairly strong willed person (ok, ok, stubborn as a mule is a more accurate description) but suddenly this desire to smoke again is happening more and more often.

Is this usual? I would have thought it would fade, not get stronger...

DeV.

5.gif

Do not be so stupid , you have come this far so don't do it mate.
    Just think a few years down the line ...you will still be here for a start ...you won't be damaging your health . Your hair skin eyes teeth heart lungs circulation BP will all be A1. Why would you risk all that for a fag eh ? Take it from me don't do it because you will rue it .8.gif

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Hmmm.. you underestimate my pigheaded stubbornness. I'm not going back. Not now, not ever.

My question is just "Is this normal??" Do most people get increased desire to go back? The first few weeks were a doddle, this is actually taking some willpower now :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭govinda

Maybe in your head you had staying off them 10 weeks as a target?

I think that if as a smoker you used cigarettes as a reward for achievements (big and small), you might get a craving for a reward at the end of a week or a month or a year once you've quit. You're nearing 3 months off them, was that a subconscious goal at the time you quit? If so, you need to find a good way to reward yourself for staying off them so long ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Well the thing is that giving up the smokes is a life long commitment not just a 6 month thing, your basically an ex nicotine junkie which is exactly the same as being an ex-heroin junkie, alcoholic etc etc.

Sure you are gonna get urges to go back smoking, its completely normal and probably the easiest thing in the world to do. Its times like that you have to ask yourself is it gonna be worth the hassle of going through all the withdrawal crap all over again? - fcuk that....

You've done probably one of the hardest things in the world to do - giving up smoking, what in the name of good god would you even want to consider having another fag?.

Keep it real.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I get that same thing and I have not been a smoker for over 10 years.
    I find it esp hard when I am writing as a ciggie break used to be a time out to gather my oughts. The smoking of just 1 was like a time out from the world with a burning fuse counting down to when I would stub it out and get back to reality or what ever I was taking a break from.

I have also found it to be the hardest thing to get over, cos it still effects me esp when stressed, I'm pretty stubborn so I won't start smoking again and I know how bad it is for me but having a cigarette or the grace having one allows as you still and relax for those few mins is hard to find a replacement for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

Hmmm.. you underestimate my pigheaded stubbornness. I'm not going back. Not now, not ever.

My question is just "Is this normal??" Do most people get increased desire to go back? The first few weeks were a doddle, this is actually taking some willpower now :)

DeV.

its completely normal, I find at the 10 week stage I'm less "proud" of quitting smoking and my determination begins to slip. weather the storm, it will pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I find it esp hard when I am writing as a ciggie break used to be a time out to gather my thoughts. The smoking of just 1 was like a time out from the world .

That's one that worries me. When things get a bit much at work, the nipping out for a 5 minute smoke is a great stress-reliever, and time to gather your thoughts.
    My thoughts on this are that I'm still going to go out for a few mins, but I'll use the time to chew gum & text the wife so that my hands are occupied.

Be interested to know how others deal with work stress now that they don't take a smoke break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 krissie

ten things you can do :)
    http://www.dumblittleman.com/2008/01/10-things-you-can-do-to-cheer-yourself.html

'tis a bit on the girly side, but still.

it's different when at work, though. i do miss those regular breaks / gathering thoughts. going outside still works, getting a bit of fresh air and a change of scenery. but i keep forgetting!

around 70 hours for me... almost 3 days. last night was tough, keep fidgeting today but it's not too bad, just a bit cranky. still drinking insane amounts of water, is that normal?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Actually the biggest reason I might smoke again is that I'm bloody curious about how I would feel and what it would be like now... but I'm not going to break the "haven't smoked one" achievement because that would open the floodgates.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I'm 10 weeks or so off them myself. As time goes on I'm thinking less and less about fags. I'm starting to feel like a proper non-smoker.

I actually don't think it's possible to break the chains whilst living with 3 smokers, as you have constant, constant, never ending reminders. You can't forget fags because you are constantly around them. My 2c.

Off them 10 weeks myself, but am in a smoke-free and smoker-free environment thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

Actually the biggest reason I might smoke again is that I'm bloody curious about how I would feel and what it would be like now...

i have actually done this the last big time i gave up i was of them for about 4/5 months had a bad day and had a cigarette. Do you recall what it was like when you first started smoking (the funny taste the problems inhaling correctly) and if you smoke too many all at one time the nausous(sp??) of your body rejecting the nicotine. It took me quite to learn how to handle cigarettes again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭LaVidaLoca

Youve managed thus far with a little willpower to quit ciggys for ten weeks.

Good on you!

Now whats happening is you (or your subconscious) is beginning to cop on that your snoking days are over.

And that little guy inside you is saying, Well OK, what do we do for kicks now?

Find something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭Archeron

I've been off them 3 and a half years, but a couple of months ago, the urge to have "just one" was so intense I was almost ripping my hair out.
    To date, I've been happy to be off them so long, and the cravings were never quite as bad as I expected, but during that one period, it was all I could think about. (twas a bit of a rough time in fairness, which didnt help).
    I think the occasional craving is something ex-smokers will pretty much always have to deal with, the important thing is that you dont give in.
    I was quite close, but somebody reminded me of giving up to begin with, and I didnt relent. Thanks be, coz I'd be mighty upset if I broke that 3 years non-smoking thing.
    Strangely, the smell of smoke drifting out of someone elses car while sitting in traffic always gives me a hankering too, but I just close the window and breathe deeply from my magic tree instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

Same has happened me, only off about 4 weeks, it feels as though a part of my brain distinct from "me" is telling me I should be smoking at certain moments and asking what would one feel like after some time off.

Advertisement