Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPod Mini

• 30-01-2008 4:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hey everyone, I just have a quick question for ye all.
    I was playin around with my old iPod mini the other day and the little fecker died on me. It could have been the battery, it could have been the HDD, I dunno. Anyway I decided to take it apart and see what's goin on inside. And, needless to say I didn't do a very good job dismantling it. I did however, get the nice little 4Gb HDD out. Now I was just thinking to myself that 4 Gb would make a nice little USB drive, that is assuming it's not damaged.

So my question is, how do I try this out?

Is there any way of getting this little Hitachi 4GB Microdrive to work with any old PC?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

What is the interface of the old hard drive ? Any chance you can throw up the model number and make ? and a few pics of it ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Hey everyone, I just have a quick question for ye all.
    I was playin around with my old iPod mini the other day and the little fecker died on me. It could have been the battery, it could have been the HDD, I dunno. Anyway I decided to take it apart and see what's goin on inside. And, needless to say I didn't do a very good job dismantling it. I did however, get the nice little 4Gb HDD out. Now I was just thinking to myself that 4 Gb would make a nice little USB drive, that is assuming it's not damaged.

So my question is, how do I try this out?

Is there any way of getting this little Hitachi 4GB Microdrive to work with any old PC?
    I think the drive uses a special interface to connect to the ipods board, unless you can get a converter from that to USB, it may not be possible, unless of course the hard drive will connect to the ipod USB cable which I fairly highly doubt as that would possibly stop the mainboard getting power or even the battery...

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Im pretty sure it can be hardwired. but would be a fairly messy board. Im wandering what connections they are so i can find some schematics and diagrams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

It's a CF (CompactFlash) interface on the microdrives in the old mini's. Presumabely you could just stick it in anything that reads CF cards, never tried it though but the microdrives were made with camera's in mind so it should work..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭Dirk_digbee

Well Nibble you're a flippin genius!

I was a little drunk when I went dismantling the iPod and I did a bit of damage to some parts so I was afraid to do any more fiddling until I heard a few ideas. Anywho, there was a kind of adapter that converts the CF interface allowing it to connect to the main board on the iPod. So it was just a matter of "gently" pulling it out.

I tried to upload a few pics but I wasn't able for whatever reason. No I'm not drunk this evening.

Thanks a million for all of ye're help

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Cmon with the pics already!! :D

Advertisement