Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

yes I am for real

Options
  • 30-01-2008 7:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭

I am not kidding you.
    Yesterday I was down in the local charity shop. I was looking in a basket and pulled out a bag that looked like it had one of the little wooden dolls you get with dolls houses.
    Anyway it was in a small clear bag, like a sandwich bag.
    Well.
    It was a VOODOO doll.
    Really.
    It had wool wrapped around it and in it was a yellow note , with the words voodoo doll written in large print and the prayer...chant...thing to say , under it.On the back was the persons "wish".
    But...worse...inside the bag was also a silver crucifix with a large jade stone on it.
    Did I nearly pass out.
    You betcha.
    I couldn't believe it.I gave it to the girls and they through it out.
    I nearly had to fight them to take it from my hands.
    OH MY GOD,
    am I superstitious, yes, very.
    Blessed myself, through salt over my shoulder.
    Got a holy item and carry it with me, I held off turning around 3 times, as I get dizzy.
    what do you make of that.
    cathy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Oobie

cathy01 wrote: »

what do you make of that.
    cathy

You completely overreacted!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'd have bought it - what a curiosity to have in your house!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

WOW - where was this
    Would of been highly freaked out too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭coady

voodoo dolls are not used for nasty things, only in movies ,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i think you're crazy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

You should of brought it home. Sounds like the opening scene to a great horror movie!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I'd wondered where it had gone.
    That's the last time I'll let Mrs Billy clean out my shed.

* goes to make sure shrunken skulls are still on the shelf beside the old pain cans *

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Hill Billy wrote: »
    I'd wondered where it had gone.
    That's the last time I'll let Mrs Billy clean out my shed.

* goes to make sure shrunken skulls are still on the shelf beside the old pain cans *

:p

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Aw man what a waste! That would have been siting on my mantelpiece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

cathy01 wrote: »
    I am not kidding you.

I have a genuine fairy corpse I'd be willing to sell you, to counteract this terrible event. Normally, I'd charge €1500, but I'd let it go to a good home for €1000. pm me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

hehe, over reacted..maybe , never had anything like that before.
    Thank God I have no experiance of voodoon so Ill take your word its not used for evil etc.
    Mr Billy, that wife of yours..hmmmmmmmmm
    ..maybe...get me a peice of her hairs. Ill sort her.:)

hehe, over reacted..maybe , never had anything like that before.
    Thank God I have no experiance of voodoon so Ill take your word its not used for evil etc.
    Mr Billy, that wife of yours..hmmmmmmmmm
    ..maybe...get me a peice of her hairs. Ill sort her.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hill Billy wrote: »
    * pain cans *
    Freudian?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Did the little doll look like Bertie by any chance?

Well now if it was , I would have bought that for sure.Curse or no curse.
    :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Victor wrote: »
    Freudian?
    Like you wouldn't believe Victor. That shed is the bane of my life. :D

There's a lot worse in there than shrunken heads too. I'd swear that the spiders alone are the results of some mad scientists genetic experiments. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Mordëth wrote: »
    i think you're crazy
    I agree.

I also can't believe she had them THROW (not through) it out.

Funny, side splitting, get a life. If you have nothing nice to say then.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Let's all play nice guys. rb_ie, take it to spell czechs tbh.

Also, some info on Vodun (aka Voodoo)

Vodun is sometimes called Voodoo, Vodoun, Vodou. Religions related to Vodun are: Candomble, Lucumi, Macumba, and Yoruba)

General background:

Vodun (a.k.a. Vodoun, Voudou, Voodoo, Sevi Lwa) is commonly called Voodoo by the public. The name is traceable to an African word for "spirit". Vodun's can be directly traced to the West African Yoruba people who lived in 18th and 19th century Dahomey. Its roots may go back 6,000 years in Africa. That country occupied parts of today's Togo, Benin and Nigeria. Slaves brought their religion with them when they were forcibly shipped to Haiti and other islands in the West Indies.

Vodun was actively suppressed during colonial times. "Many Priests were either killed or imprisoned, and their shrines destroyed, because of the threat they posed to Euro-Christian/Muslim dominion. This forced some of the Dahomeans to form Vodou Orders and to create underground societies, in order to continue the veneration of their ancestors, and the worship of their powerful gods." 1 Vodun was again suppressed during the Marxist regime. However, it has been freely practiced in Benin since a democratic government was installed there in 1989. Vodun was formally recognized as Benin's official religion in 1996-FEB. It is also followed by most of the adults in Haiti. It can be found in many of the large cities in North America, particularly in the American South.

Today over 60 million people practice Vodun worldwide. Religions similar to Vodun can be found in South America where they are called Umbanda, Quimbanda or Candomble.

Today, there are two virtually unrelated forms of the religion:

- An actual religion, Vodun practiced in Benin, Dominican Republic, Ghana, Haiti, Togo and various centers in the US - largely where Haitian refuges have settled.
    - An evil, imaginary religion, which we will call Voodoo. It has been created for Hollywood movies, complete with violence, bizarre rituals, etc. It does not exist in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

rb_ie wrote: »
    I agree.

I also can't believe she had them THROW (not through) it out.
    What about that delightful Dublin word that always brings a smile to my face - "thrun"?

"He thrun his cigarette butt out onto the street". :rolleyes: :D

• Advertisement

ok, so I can, put the garlic back, put the crosses back in the press, and get out of the bath of holy water.PHEWW
    cathy:)

Advertisement