Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voodoo Doll Found....

Options
  • 30-01-2008 7:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭

I am not kidding you.
    Yesterday I was down in the local charity shop. I was looking in a basket and pulled out a bag that looked like it had one of the little wooden dolls you get with dolls houses.
    Anyway it was in a small clear bag, like a sandwich bag.
    Well.
    It was a VOODOO doll.
    Really.
    It had wool wrapped around it and in it was a yellow note , with the words voodoo doll written in large print and the prayer...chant...thing to say , under it.On the back was the persons "wish".
    But...worse...inside the bag was also a silver crucifix with a large jade stone on it.
    Did I nearly pass out.
    You betcha.
    I couldn't believe it.I gave it to the girls and they through it out.
    I nearly had to fight them to take it from my hands.

I Blessed myself, through salt over my shoulder.
    Got a holy item and carry it with me, I held off turning around 3 times, as I get dizzy.
    what do you make of that.
    cathy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

How do you know it was a voodoo doll ?
    How do you know it wasn't a poppet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Thaedydal wrote: »
    How do you know it was a voodoo doll ?
    How do you know it wasn't a poppet ?
    cathy01 wrote: »
    It had wool wrapped around it and in it was a yellow note , with the words voodoo doll written in large print and the prayer...chant...thing to say , under it.

Just a guess but that might have been the give away? :D

Anyway Cathy, if you can get your hands on it again I'd be happy to give it a good home.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭microgirl

Ara, you can buy those things for a few dollars in tourist shops in New Orleans. They're about as much real voodoo dolls as the stuffed leprechauns you get in Carrolls are real leprchauns.

How can you say that based purely on one post about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

i can see where microgirl is coming from - plus i dont think genuine voodoo dolls actually have 'voodoo doll' written on them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

hi all, I know the last thing you would expect to see on a voodoo doll is the words voodoo doll.
    However, it was written on the paper.The doll itself was wrapped in wool, plus it had the words, My wish..I think, but it had what the person wanted.
    The doll was very like a poppet , as that's what I thought at first it was, but .it was not.
    Not been racist or anything like it but we have a huge and I mean HUGE amount of people from Nigeria, sudan etc.

I am just saying, it was scary.

6th I can give you the shop details and you could ask them about it.
    I do know they put it in the bin...sorry.Had I off known someone was brave enough to take it, I could have asked the girls to hold onto it for a day/.

thanks cathy

Pm me on the details so ;)

Anyway I wonder what other possible gems would turn up in charity shops etc. I've a big interest in psychometry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

didn't we cover all this before?

Haitian VooDoo doesn't use effigies such as voodoo dolls for cursing. Poppets are used to carry messages across to the otherworld instead.

New Orleans VooDoo generated the misconception of Voodoo dolls, but again, the doll effigies aren't VooDoo, they are HooDoo, which is different (fold magic) to the religion of VooDoo.

Even then, the nature of the dolls precludes the use of commercial ones, so anything that actuallys says "VooDoo Doll" on it, isn't anything to worry about.

well, I am glad, as of course if you dont know much about hoo do..voo doo or all the others You would be scared..
    Cheers all.
    Cathy

Ah but for a harmless doll to be doing the rounds with people believing it to be "evil" or "dangerous" it's well possible for that negative energy to affect both the doll and anyone who has it in their possession. imo.

Like if people (say a community) believe a place is haunted the over time that build up of energy may result in the likes of a primative thought form or an energy much like that in poltergeist cases?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

cathy01 wrote: »
    Not been racist or anything like it but we have a huge and I mean HUGE amount of people from Nigeria, sudan etc.

*Sigh*

Why oh why would that be racist?

hi windstock, I KNOW...but people can be SOOOOOO over sensitive.
    cathy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Who do you think you're calling over sensitive :D

Yes there are non nationals who are non christains who are magical and energetic practitioners who are active in this country.

There are also eu nationals who are non christains who are magical and energetic practitioners who are active in this country.

There are also irish nationals who are non christains who are magical and energetics practitioners who are active in this country.

What's the big deal ?

There are also Irish Christians who are energy practitioners.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

6th wrote: »

:)

6th wrote: »

True :)

but the impaction seems to be that forgien and non christian equals bad and harmful.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭mossieh

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Yes there are non nationals who are non christains who are magical and energetic practitioners who are active in this country.

There are also eu nationals who are non christains who are magical and energetic practitioners who are active in this country.

There are also irish nationals who are non christains who are magical and energetics practitioners who are active in this country.

What's the big deal ?

There are an awful lot of people with too much time on their hands, sounds like.

That's an awful lot of 'magic' being practised. Do you guys have specific rooms in your houses for this?

Serious question though: Why would you be scared of a doll, whether or not it had 'voodoo doll' written on it? Do you not think that being afraid of it is what gives it it's power over you?

Those of you who have read my previous posts know what I think of this stuff but even looking at it from my point of view, if say, an overactive imagination caused you to believe that this doll has power, surely (unless you have mental-wellness issues) you, being a citizen of a 21st century western democracy can rationalise this down to what it is and thus remove it's 'power'?

mossieh wrote: »
    Those of you who have read my previous posts know what I think of this stuff but even looking at it from my point of view, if say, an overactive imagination caused you to believe that this doll has power, surely (unless you have mental-wellness issues) you, being a citizen of a 21st century western democracy can rationalise this down to what it is and thus remove it's 'power'?

Disempowering such things in that way does indeed work most of the time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It really sounds to me like some type of New Orleans souvenier type thing. I don't know a lot about voodoo but I really can't imagine one having a label with it that says "Voodoo doll".

Also, keeping in mind that I don't know much about voodoo, my understanding is that the doll itself isn't really anything signifigant. It's a tool used as a focal point, as opposed to something with powers of it's own that you buy in a shop.

Also, I can't think of any reason why this should be hear and not spirituality, Thaed?

• Advertisement

Then move it dear stevemu.

maybe I watched to many films when I was a kid. I just dont like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Loxosceles

mossieh wrote: »
    There are an awful lot of people with too much time on their hands, sounds like.

That's an awful lot of 'magic' being practised. Do you guys have specific rooms in your houses for this?

Serious question though: Why would you be scared of a doll, whether or not it had 'voodoo doll' written on it? Do you not think that being afraid of it is what gives it it's power over you?

It was a piece of stuffed nonsense bought as a souvenir probably in New Orleans.

Human beings can themselves be reverse-engineered to being mechanisms of meaning which can be either faulty or functional, depending on how much their interaction and intuition is based in filtering perception through actual reality, rather than re-filtering it through the interpretation, story, and meaning we are all tempted to assign.

I personally would find little power in either a stuffed souvenir, or a bona fide African nail fetish full of projected and imagined acts upon a person. Or a poppet. They are items designed to affect quantum reality with the force of projected intent of the sender, but the rationale of the sender is almost always faulty; and even when the wrong is genuine and the rationale is righteous, the act of sending it is damaging. There is no greater curse or punishment that any wrongdoer or curser can suffer than the reality that they themselves have created of their life. And the greatest vengeance is to spite them by living well and fearlessly and without apology. Which, essentially, is the very barrier that easily protects anyone from such nonsense; even if 'magick' were real as merely the projection of will through quantum event in order to affect physical event, we all have a far greater responsibility to live our own lives rather than affect anyone else's. Or worry about how we can be affected by it.

Such a fetish, or indeed any fetish, is ultimately a very, very, small and insignificant thing in the face of living in a real world of your own potential.

Advertisement