Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reporting dangerous driving

Options
  • 30-01-2008 8:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone here has reported another motorist for dangerous driving to the Gardai before and what the response/follow-up was?

I am contemplating reporting a motorist (van driver) for dangerous and aggressive driving towards me this morning on the M50 driving Southbound.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Yep, reported a lunatic on the N9 once, dangerous overtaking etc. Rang Carlow garda station (nearest town) they took details and number plate and said they would do something. I really doubt they did, i think the most they would do is get the contact details of the driver from the plate and ring him to warn him. Other than that i doubt they would bother trying to prosecute the driver.
    I find the best thing is to laugh and smile at the idiot and leave it at that. Makes me feel better and annoys the mad driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Just wondering if anyone here has reported another motorist for dangerous driving to the Gardai before.
    Yes
    and what the response/follow-up was?.
    Absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I was on the old bawn road back last summer and a old fiesta was crawling along. I passed it on my moped and there were 3 women in it and 4 kids.

The woman driving had a litre bottle of Blue Wicked in here hand, taking a swig of it. The woman in the passenger seat had a toddler standing on her lap. And the woman in the back with the kids was singing along very badly to the blaring radio. There wasnt much traffic but they must have been doing 10 mph.

I pulled over and rang the garda with the reg etc and he said he'd send a car striaght down. I was in a rush to get home so I didnt hang about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I am not sure if the Gardai could or why they would do anything if you reported someone.

You will be giving him an entirely subjective opinion of what dangerous act the driver is purported to have done.

Do you want to report him because he was aggressive towards you.

Can you explain exactly what was happening and show how he was being aggressive ?

I must admit I have had lots of people flashing me for what they saw as dangerous driving when I felt it was quite safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I was once told by a guard that they keep details of whats reported but there's not a lot you can do mainly because its a subjective report, your word against his kind of thing.

However the gaurd said that as they keep details if someone was reported more than once they would contact them to give a warning

There's not a lot else the law can do.

personally I have reported what to me seemed like a drunk driving his car at 3 a.m. or so but did not follow so don't know if guards intercepted him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,858 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Riskymove wrote: »
    I was once told by a guard that they keep details of whats reported but there's not a lot you can do mainly because its a subjective report, your word against his kind of thing.

However the gaurd said that as they keep details if someone was reported more than once they would contact them to give a warning

There's not a lot else the law can do.

personally I have reported what to me seemed like a drunk driving his car at 3 a.m. or so but did not follow so don't know if guards intercepted him

A work mate of my brother was driving home from work one night, going fairly fast by his on admission on certain stretches of the N11. At one of the points where he was actually going the speed limit or under it, he saw a garda car parked at a bridge, which signaled for him to pull in. When he pulled in he asked the gardai what the issue was as he was not speeding (at the time) and they told him that they had got reports or a motorist speeding along that section of the road and that they had been waiting for him. As they didn't actually catch him doing anything, they gave him a friendly warning and sent him on his way.

So, sometimes the Gardai do follow these calls up, and quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭StillBallygowan

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Can you explain exactly what was happening and show how he was being aggressive ?

I must admit I have had lots of people flashing me for what they saw as dangerous driving when I felt it was quite safe.

I should have stated he was also being aggressive to other motorists after me.

1. It was 6:30am on the M50 going southbound just after going through the toll bridge so traffic was heavy in both lanes. I'm in the right-hand lane keeping up with the traffic.

2. The van driver sat on my tail for a short while so I tapped the brakes

3. The van driver stayed off my tail then

4. A minute (maybe even less) later I saw in my rear view mirror the van speed up behind me with headlights flashing (traffic is heavy in both lanes, all doing pretty much the same speed). There's nowhere I can move to so they insist on tailing me again

5. Realising they can't go anywhere they cut into the left-hand lane tailing the car in front of them. I'm keeping my distance from the car in front of me when they decide to try and cut me up to get into the space no bigger then the size of the van itself! So I blasted them out of it. This goes on for 3 attempts. Realising they can't get anywhere they wait for a gap further up.

6. They proceed to weave in and out of traffic pretty much from the N7 turn-off to Sandyford exit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭richie_rvf

If a car in front of me deliberately tapped the brake I would report them!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭roughan

GENTLY pull up the handbrake
    your brake lights do not come on but the car will slow a small bit
    the person who is up your a**e will get the shock of their lives !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I've reported a few different incidents over the years, one was dangerous driving which I reported in person in a garda station, I heard nothing afterwards, one by phone to 999 which was a car abandoned after hitting a wall on blackhorse avenue so I didn't really expect a followup and a dangerous driving incident more recently to the traffic watch line which was followed up by a garda at the local station and I'm expecting to hear more on that very soon. From my own limited experience, trafficwatch is the way to go for a dangerous incident because it starts a paper trail that must be followed up, it does take a little time and you need to have proper details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

roughan wrote: »

The handbreak does not activate your brakelights.

Edit... oops should have read your post properly...

roughan wrote: »
    Unfortunately the handbrake is at my foot! I drive a Merc :)

richie_rvf wrote: »
    So you wouldn't have a problem with a motorist driving up your arse thus forcing you to drive faster??

alias no.9 wrote: »
    I've reported a few different incidents over the years, one was dangerous driving which I reported in person in a garda station, I heard nothing afterwards, one by phone to 999 which was a car abandoned after hitting a wall on blackhorse avenue so I didn't really expect a followup and a dangerous driving incident more recently to the traffic watch line which was followed up by a garda at the local station and I'm expecting to hear more on that very soon. From my own limited experience, trafficwatch is the way to go for a dangerous incident because it starts a paper trail that must be followed up, it does take a little time and you need to have proper details.

Do you happen to have the number for trafficwatch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭roughan

Unfortunately the handbrake is at my foot! I drive a Merc :)

Still works use ur left foot on the brake then just use your right hand to release it
    i had an e220 while my car was in the garage

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

You better be taking the piss. So tailgating is okay then?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭vestanpance

How would that conversation with the gards go?

"I'm driving up the a*se of the car in front of me but he keeps tapping his brakes, don't know why but it's very dangerous"

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

Would be very hard to say the person braking did anything wrong. That person could say they were braking coz they felt they were going too fast for the next corner.

Don't think you'd get very far with that one!

I am not standing up for the van driver, clearly he was an idiot and should be reported but to give a brake check like that is also dangerous driving.

Fook the guy behind you, he will either get fed up or will eventually get by, let him on, report him if you feel the need and let the authorities do their jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

So you wouldn't have a problem with a motorist driving up your arse thus forcing you to drive faster??

1890 205805.

Rang it twice, once to report some fool undertaking me in the hard shoulder of the M50 so he could reach the off ramp a second faster, another to report a car abandoned in the road near the Belgard Inn. Never heard anything about the first one but can only hope if they get enough complaints about a particular reg they warn him, not much else they can do.

The car was removed in less than half an hour in the second case although they probably had a fair few calls about that one as it was dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Just make sure you are not driving with a mobile phone in you hand while reporting these guys :D

bman wrote: »
    Would be very hard to say the person braking did anything wrong. That person could say they were braking coz they felt they were going too fast for the next corner.

Don't think you'd get very far with that one!

I witnessed an accident which was caused by exactly that behaviour, the knock on effect of giving a brake check in heavy traffic is that the time to re-act for each driver behind who will also need to brake gets shorter and shorter - all because someone got annoyed by another drivers antics.

This is very much along the lines of numerous other threads here - none of us have the right to tell others how to drive, that is up to the authorities, that is the reason for phone numbers such as traffic watch.

If you felt that you must make a point to the idiot behind why not put your hazards on??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭DubLegs

If you felt that you must make a point to the idiot behind why not put your hazards on??

Would that not just confuse the other drivers around or cause an accident by people trying to figure out wats wrong? I mean if they don't know there is some fool being dangerous behind you.

DubLegs wrote: »
    Would that not just confuse the other drivers around or cause an accident by people trying to figure out wats wrong? I mean if they don't know there is some fool being dangerous behind you.

I said that if he 'felt' he needed to do something, surely turning on your hazzards is not as dangerous as suddenly braking??

And who, other than the twit in the van, is going to see the hazards??

I said that if he 'felt' he needed to do something, surely turning on your hazzards is not as dangerous as suddenly braking??

And who, other than the twit in the van, is going to see the hazards??

Person in front of the driver and those cars that may see it in the through side mirrors etc!
    IMHO - I know I'd be curious and if not slightly worried as to why the person behind me has the hazzards on all of a shot! Is there something wrong with my car that i can't see?
    I do understand for the reasons of the guy behind.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Rang traffic watch last week when some guy overtook past me and six others waiting at a red light (stop-go for contruction). Local gardai called me back the following week asking would I be willing to make a statement, I said I could in my local station. Then they advised that I would have to be willing to go to court if it went to trial. I can't take time off work so they advised they would just caution the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I overtook a mildly done up Audi A4 doing 50 in a 60mph on a downhill straight in Letterkenny yesterday. The guy then decides to tailgate me! And it was wet. Wish they would leave their ego and silly driving at home.

Person in front of the driver and those cars that may see it in the through side mirrors etc!
    IMHO - I know I'd be curious and if not slightly worried as to why the person behind me has the hazzards on all of a shot! Is there something wrong with my car that i can't see?
    I do understand for the reasons of the guy behind.

well if that is the case then suddenly indicating should be banned as being dangerous too. :rolleyes:

If a car behind you put their hazards on it would cause you to possibly have an accident while you try to figure out what is going on???? :confused:

If a car beside you put their hazards on then it would only appear to be indicators - surely??

Honestly - I see where your coming from and I am not trying to wind you or anyone else up here - but I still believe that suddenly braking is more dangerous than turning on your hazards, if the van was tailgating then he would be one of the only drivers to see the hazard lights.

Like I said, the accident I witnessed was as a direct cause of a car up ahead suddenly braking and other cars not having enough time to react.

We could go on and on about this, 'the cars should have left enough space to allow themselves time to react' etc... but we all know that if they left such gaps our friend in the van would be jumping from lane to lane to make progress.

The OP should have reported the van driver - and in deed possible still should if he has not already done so.

I am by no means condoning the behaviour of the van driver - some day he will cause an accident.

I believe that when we are stuck in heavy traffic we should just grin and bear it, there is not a whole lot to be done about it.

Sometimes it can panick some ppl - Tis all i'm trying to say really!
    I agree 100% that tipping the breaks or breaking suddenly is extremely dangerous.

As i posted something similar awhile back and it just descended into an attack on my driving - I also agree it will just go on and on.

• Advertisement

Sometimes it can panick some ppl - Tis all i'm trying to say really!
    I agree 100% that tipping the breaks or breaking suddenly is extremely dangerous.

As i posted something similar awhile back and it just descended into an attack on my driving - I also agree it will just go on and on.

I take your point :)

Maybe we should request this thread be closed - I don't want to come back to this to have to defend my driving abilities :D

Advertisement