Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buses from Dublin to Limerick City??

Options
  • 30-01-2008 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭

What are the options if I want to get the bus from Dublin to Limerick?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

well as far as i know there's only 2 options, Bus Éireann and JJ Kavanagh's Google is your friend

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

If you're planning on doing it in the evening....DON'T....get the train and save your sanity. Traffic (especially with the non direct) will have you losing the will to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Just take the train if you can!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Just take the train if you can!
    Ditto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

Definately take the train. It's worth the extra money. It takes 2hours to 2hours 20mins on the train while the bus can take 5 hours plus. As ninety9er says, if you take the bus you will lose your will to live. And your sanity.

• Advertisement

Then of course there might be a direct limerick-dublin bus from bus eireann... that wouldnt be too bad I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

1huge1 wrote: »
    Then of course there might be a direct limerick-dublin bus from bus eireann... that wouldnt be too bad I guess

Had a friend get the Direct Limerick-Dublin bus one evening last November. He got on at 13:30, I got the train at 15:30, waited for 10 mins at Limk Junction and was in Dublin 2 hours before him

ninty9er wrote: »
    Had a friend get the Direct Limerick-Dublin bus one evening last November. He got on at 13:30, I got the train at 15:30, waited for 10 mins at Limk Junction and was in Dublin 2 hours before him
    So much for the direct then, once again backing the train idea, wish is wasnt to much more expensive though (luckily in september when im at UCC with a bit of luck ill have my student ID and wont be paying adult prices anymore)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

1huge1 wrote: »
    So much for the direct then, once again backing the train idea, wish is wasnt to much more expensive though (luckily in september when im at UCC with a bit of luck ill have my student ID and wont be paying adult prices anymore)

Word to the wise, IE have their own student card which you have to get for discounts,i think you have to buy it and its about 30 Euro?, try using any student ID when buying train tix and they'll tell you no!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RINO87

I'm looking to be in dublin airport for 8AM on feb 14th, any idea which would be the easiest way to get there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

aer lingus flight EI132
    Shannon 07:00 Thu 14 Feb Dublin 07:45 Thu 14 Feb
    currently 60 euro. cheapest option

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RINO87

i actually never thought of that!!!! sound!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

no problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Word to the wise, IE have their own student card which you have to get for discounts,i think you have to buy it and its about 30 Euro?, try using any student ID when buying train tix and they'll tell you no!

Its called a student travel card, you can get in any s.u at any college and you dont have to be in 3rd level to avail of one, you can be in secondary too.

@ Huge, go to the s.u in UL and get yourself one of these cards, they are great, i had one when i was in 6th year but obviously had to get a new one when i went to DCU.

@invincibleirish, yeah its not just IE, the student travelcard works for IE, Bus Eireann, Luas and Dublin Bus, im pretty sure it was never the case where you could just go up with a student i.d, always needed the travelcard.

http://www.studenttravelcard.ie/

Its called a student travel card, you can get in any s.u at any college and you dont have to be in 3rd level to avail of one, you can be in secondary too.

@ Huge, go to the s.u in UL and get yourself one of these cards, they are great, i had one when i was in 6th year but obviously had to get a new one when i went to DCU.

@invincibleirish, yeah its not just IE, the student travelcard works for IE, Bus Eireann, Luas and Dublin Bus, im pretty sure it was never the case where you could just go up with a student i.d, always needed the travelcard.

http://www.studenttravelcard.ie/
    Ya thats the one, definitely gonna get one when I'm at university in a few months, never knew you could do that in 6th year, only 3 months of 6th year left though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

I took the bus from Dub to Limerick last Monday, after flying into Dublin Airport, and I strongly agree with those who urged you to take the train if possible. I actually said to several people that it was the last time I'd be taking the bus from Dub to Limk, and that it would be the train from now on.

If you're on a budget, it's just about bearable for €10 single, but if you value your sanity...take the train. It's so long, and it felt like we stopped in every village on the way (eventhough there were only 5 stops!). Plus, I was sitting behind two males, who a) smelled b) were drinking on the bus, and c) argueing loudly over the difference between Jambons and Jam-buns (one of them asked the other to get Jambons, but the other mis-understood and got jammie buns instead! There was Holy war over it...), but I guess it's hit-and-miss who you're stuck with for the 4 hour trek!

Anyway, rant over. It wasn't terrible, but if you can afford the train then take it!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This thread reminds me of how crappy our public transport system still is in this country.

In my experience the train is only slightly better to use than the bus. The lesser of two evils really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Thanks for the replies. Got the train in the end, even through the times didn't really suit me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Have never spent more than three hours on the bus from dublin to Limerick. the only thing that pisses me off though is sitting around in Borris on oriface for 20 minutes scratching your arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Billy you are one of the lucky ones Its a while since I took the bus but have had some horror journeys 6.5 hours being my record journey.

Hate Borris on Splot as well horrible pub too

• Advertisement
Advertisement