Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Frankfurt Hahn (helap).

• 30-01-2008 10:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭

Booked cheap flights with Ryanair for this weekend and have just found out that we will be left in Frankfurt Hahn which is 100 km from Frankfurt. Does anyone know if there are nearby towns of interest? Is there Shuttle buses from the airport? or is this just a waste of time going for 2 days and flight back Monday is at 10.30. Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

yes, there is a bus (quite frequent i rememeber) to Frankfurt - takes about an hour or so. Not badly priced either.

I dont know if there are any places of interest round the airport...............i'd nip into Frankfurt for a bit of shopping if i were you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭TeenageKicks

Ok I didnt really understand your post but I take it you are flying into Frankfurt Hahn and then flying out two days later? Well first of all dont stay in Hahn it is a field in the middle of nowehere, get your ass to Frankfurt or Koln or K-Town or even Luxwmbourg. I would recommend Frankfurt that buses leave every 90 minutes and it takes 1hr and 45mins once in Frankfurt there are plenty of shops, pubs and resteraunts also many cheap hotels near the train station, the red light district is in that area too but dont be put off by that it is actually one of the safest areas in the city (the city is overall v.safe compared to Dublin)

Hope that helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭deemy

We flew into hahn last year and spent a few days in Heildeberg. Got a bus there from Hahn just outside the airport. I wouldn't even call it a airport was more like a shed in the middle of nowhere. but i think they were developing it at the time.
    Heidleberg is about an hour by bus €12 -€15 I think it was. Its a nice enough town with a good few rest and bars. A famous castle if ur into that sort of thing. As for nightclubs I don't know but I'm sure there is a uni there so there must be a good nightlife. Plenty of shops with all the highstreet names. Oh and this wonderful xmas decoration shop(sad I am). I checked out the bus times on the links from ryanair website. Frankfurt is ok but its like any other big city. Checkout tripadvisor.ie and you might get a little more info on heidleberg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just booked flights for next week with ryanair, so the info on this thread was exactly what it was after. Now as for things to do while there, I'm heading over with a few friends for two days, does anyone have any ideas for things to do during the day? We're open minded 19 year olds on the cheap;)
    Cheers

• Advertisement

Just booked flights for next week with ryanair, so the info on this thread was exactly what it was after. Now as for things to do while there, I'm heading over with a few friends for two days, does anyone have any ideas for things to do during the day? We're open minded 19 year olds on the cheap;)
    Cheers

An in date student card is a great start. most places its half price. zoo is 4euro normally €8. the 'main tower' is an alright think to do if u like the views etc. all tho a similar view can be had from the shopping center in the 'Zeil'. go to the very top to the cafe/ restaurant and its free. the is a train that goes around frankfurt, 6euro lasts about an hour. you get applewien and pretzels. can be a bit of a laugh. hope thats some help to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

davton wrote: »
    An in date student card is a great start. most places its half price. zoo is 4euro normally €8. the 'main tower' is an alright think to do if u like the views etc. all tho a similar view can be had from the shopping center in the 'Zeil'. go to the very top to the cafe/ restaurant and its free. the is a train that goes around frankfurt, 6euro lasts about an hour. you get applewien and pretzels. can be a bit of a laugh. hope thats some help to you.

Cheers !

Cheers !

no probs,, want anything else just ask

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭poitinstill

bumping old thread...
    anyone got any details of breweries /brewpubs/ nice old bars to go for a few beers in / around heildelberg ? thinking of going in Nov. thks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

bumping old thread...
    anyone got any details of breweries /brewpubs/ nice old bars to go for a few beers in / around heildelberg ? thinking of going in Nov. thks

I spent a day or two in H-berg a few years ago, and would definitely recommend. There are a couple of top-notch museums, and Heidelberg Castle is pretty spectacular, with layered centuries of building and dilapidation evident. It also, on the booze theme, has the "largest barrel in the world" -- it's almost a sight gag, because it has one pretty ridiculously big barrel, and then you go around the corner, and... Wau. It's empty, though.

I don't recall specifics as to bars, alas. I think I maybe just did eine kleine boozing in cafes and hotel bars as I sight-saw, rather than getting too stuck into the drink. (Saving myself for later that week, elsewhere...) But it's a good-sized German city, you'll be kinda spoiled for choice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement